Super Sonic Galaxy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
(No Imagination)

Re: Super Sonic Galaxy

Post by (No Imagination) »

and one of the eight planets sounds like it's based off of Metal Sonic.
O_o
K2J wrote:
Scartillery on Sonic Retro wrote: Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
- gah, why did I ever look at these scans? That food level looks so soy kingdom it's not even funny.

Oh well, at least it's bound to play good, right?

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I know this is NP's fault, but goddamn it's only a "2-d Side-scroller" if the visuals are 2-d. Otherwise it's just a sidescroller.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

K2J wrote:Of note is that extra characters (besides Knuckles and Shadow) will, if at all, appear in the DS version only, and one of the eight planets sounds like it's based off of Metal Sonic.
Why do people think having one playable character will make the game any less terrible?

It is just another boost-a-thon that has nothing to do with the series.

I do no mean just you, but in general people seem to always imply this.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Kogen wrote: Why do people think having one playable character will make the game any less terrible?
Well I don't know about you but the thought of seeing silver or shadow again is headache inducing on its own.
FlashTHD wrote:I watched some of those. Worst grasp of gameplay flow ever. In some places you literally kill a bunch of enemies, take 10 paces down the straight path and *SAXAPHONE* whoop there's those force fields again.
Thats not even what I was referring to. Im talking about how each werehog level is separated into three mind numbing segments that usually involve collecting keys for a gate or terrible platforming. And you thought the shitty beat em up parts were bad. . .

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Kogen wrote:http://i49.tinypic.com/wi5vl2.jpg

So, hmm....

I think I am done with the series. It had a good run, kind of.
WELP

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Radrappy wrote:
Kogen wrote:Why do people think having one playable character will make the game any less terrible?
Well I don't know about you but the thought of seeing silver or shadow again is headache inducing on its own.
So the perfectly decent members of the cast must be punished as a result then.

I know, just saying...

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

FlashTHD wrote:
Radrappy wrote:
Kogen wrote:Why do people think having one playable character will make the game any less terrible?
So the perfectly decent members of the cast must be punished as a result then.

I know, just saying...
Absence makes the heart grow fonder right? It's not like they know what the hell to do with knuckles anyway.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Well, consider this: continuing to throw Tails into the game in a prominent light (like in the teaser), and then not giving him any practical purpose that the player is expected to give a damn about, is like deliberate sabotage. Instead of being playable or doing anything noteworthy, like in the past, I wouldn't be suprised if he's just there in the cutscenes with his bad voice actor and that's all it amounts to.

Or in short, they somehow don't know what to do with Tails either. Which is sad.

Now that I think about it, it also doesn't help matters too much by continuing to make Sonic's abilites more and more overpowering. When you go and do that, how is a character like Tails expected to stay relatively in step with someone who can kill practically everything in his way by just running faster with a glowy blue aura, or worse? (If the answer isn't "give up", then i'm afraid to hear it.) It's funny, idiots keep screaming for no playable characters other than you-know-who but in this case you could say it's sucking all the life and usefulness out of everyone not him.

Neo

Post by Neo »

FlashTHD wrote:I wouldn't be suprised if he's just there in the cutscenes with his bad voice actor
Actress. Amy Palant is a she.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

In America, 'actor' has grown to encompass both male and female.

Unless it's Oscar season so bitches don't cry foul.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I like how now whenever he's interviewed they always highlight Iizuka's involvement with Sonic 3 & Knuckles and completely ignore the fact he's been neck deep in the cesspool of shit for the last 10 years, with a contribution to some degree in virtually everything that's been fucking terrible.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I think it looks pretty good, so long as they keep Iizuka's paws off of it. I haven't played Black Knight yet, though.
Or in short, they somehow don't know what to do with Tails either. Which is sad.

It's funny, idiots keep screaming for no playable characters other than you-know-who but in this case you could say it's sucking all the life and usefulness out of everyone not him.
But the opposite was true for so long. IE - Tails was just Sonic with the ability to fly and swim, and Knuckles was Sonic with the ability to glide, climb, and dig. The only unique thing Sonic had for years was a tentatively successful double jump gimmick they keep fooling around with.

If you're talking about something more long-term (as in, what could other characters possibly offer in the long-run and what makes them unique):
* Tails: Flight, swimming, use of gadgets and vehicles. If they wanted to make Tails a playable character in future games, a good place to look would be to Tails Adventures. Tails offers the possibility for avoiding dangerous obstacles and using gadgets or equipped items to navigate a stage. I think of him as the "slow-n-easy mode" character who can (potentially) fap about with different items like bombs and robots and vehicles like the Sea Fox or the Tornado or whatever.

* Knuckles:
Knuckles skillset of digging, climbing, and gliding favors two different approaches to obstacles - climb as high as possible and glide over them or go under them. I think of him as the "exploration"-based character (but not to the extent he was played up as in the Adventure series).

* Blaze: She's the only other playable character that I think fits with the original 3 in terms of design and personality. So far, she's mostly just been a pallet swap of Sonic. But I think if we were going for distinguishing characteristics to add divergence to gameplay, she'd best fit as a constant adaptation of the original E102 Gamma/Tails/Eggman gameplay style - kill everything you can see with pyrokinetic fireballs while rushing forward, with the idea that she kills the obstacles before they can pose a problem with her. I think her role would be best as the "ranged/shoot-em up" character.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Zeta wrote:If you're talking about something more long-term (as in, what could other characters possibly offer in the long-run and what makes them unique):
No, i'm talking about Sonic and his "pretend to be Super Sonic" button/ability of late that no matter what you come up with, the supporting cast (sans Blaze, Shadow, and Metal Sonic if you stretch it) can't reasonably match up to without going completely absurd.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

FlashTHD wrote:
Zeta wrote:If you're talking about something more long-term (as in, what could other characters possibly offer in the long-run and what makes them unique):
No, i'm talking about Sonic and his "pretend to be Super Sonic" button/ability of late that no matter what you come up with, the supporting cast (sans Blaze, Shadow, and Metal Sonic if you stretch it) can't reasonably match up to without going completely absurd.
Well isn't he the ultimate life form or some bullshit like that?

I know what you mean though. Activating the boost in Sonic Unleashed basically turns sonic into an invincible blue fireball that decimates anything in his path (even lawn chairs!). Hell in the 360/ps3 version you could perpetually keep the boost on forever as long as you had a steady income of rings.
Zeta wrote:
But the opposite was true for so long. IE - Tails was just Sonic with the ability to fly and swim, and Knuckles was Sonic with the ability to glide, climb, and dig. The only unique thing Sonic had for years was a tentatively successful double jump gimmick they keep fooling around with.
It's really funny that you point this out. I remember back in the day no one even bothered to play as sonic once knuckles and tails came around. Why would you? You'd be basically getting the same experience sans some pretty cool special abilities. And now we have people complaining that the rest of cast is basically useless. Last I checked these games were about sonic the hedgehog. Not blaze the cat. Not wave the swallow. I think giving the rest of the cast a long overdue break could potentially make their returns all the more exciting. For example, in mario games, it's still kind of a treat to meet yoshi or luigi in-game after all these years! Imagine that!

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

FlashTHD wrote:
It is not really just the other characters, either. Stage gimmicks that give speed boosts, items such as speed shoes and invincibility, and spindash are all completely useless with it too. All creativity is basically thrown away.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Tails and Knuckles' Sonic 3&K move sets were fine. What they really need to do to make Sonic stand out is make the speed difference more apparent. Make Sonic just a tad faster and make Tails and Knuckles notably slower.

I think the boost attack would be more palatable if it were Sonic only, didn't damage enemies, and cost 5 or 10 rings to use.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Tails and Knuckles' Sonic 3&K move sets were fine. What they really need to do to make Sonic stand out is make the speed difference more apparent. Make Sonic just a tad faster and make Tails and Knuckles notably slower.
Or no. The games are supposed to be fun, remember?

I think it was fine with Sonic getting the 'insta-shield' move. It made him much better than Tails and Knuckles, especially against bosses. I had a harder time as both of those characters in comparison in Sonic 3/K.
I think the boost attack would be more palatable if it were Sonic only, didn't damage enemies, and cost 5 or 10 rings to use.
I have to say no again! The boost move is retarded and breaks the entire gameplay of the series. Plus it makes no sense (at least a spindash can seem like it makes sense and is limited).

As long as they have morons like Iizuka who have not made a good game in a decade, I do not think anything will be fixed. Even if a third party tries it, SEGA lets this idiot force them to change things. I think the only hope for the series is him maybe dying, as even Prope would not let him join.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Kogen wrote:Even if a third party tries it, SEGA lets this idiot force them to change things.
The Sonic Rivals games showed so well how capable their developers were, it's a shame they could not make the game they wanted and were forced by Iizuka to make it some retarded racing nonsense.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

I know you're fond of using this man as a scape goat but are we really sure that he's completely to blame for sonic's years of misfortune?

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Radrappy wrote:I know you're fond of using this man as a scape goat but are we really sure that he's completely to blame for sonic's years of misfortune?
Yes.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Radrappy wrote:invincible blue fireball that decimates anything in his path (even lawn chairs!).
A lawn chair would still be formidable at 90% functionality.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Well there are plenty of games that didn't need Iizuka's help to be a complete disaster, at least conceptually. If anything, I'd say he's only one of several steaming turds running the show, albeit probably the biggest.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Kogen wrote:
Crazy Penguin wrote:Tails and Knuckles' Sonic 3&K move sets were fine. What they really need to do to make Sonic stand out is make the speed difference more apparent. Make Sonic just a tad faster and make Tails and Knuckles notably slower.
Or no. The games are supposed to be fun, remember?
Now are we giving Tails and Knuckles the homing attack? I figure that is a huge advantage for Sonic in the recent games. They tend to talk about him like he's a ton faster than Tails or Knuckles though. They could make him slightly slower than Tails and Knuckles.

If they put more focus on getting A grades for just one character in each level, it would be fun finding the fastest route. You'd have to learn the levels with each character. Let's say there's an area where Knuckles can climb up and glide across a part of the level where it would take longer with Sonic to run through that part or it would be too long of a gap for Tails to reach it. There could be a level with a lot of moving upward, giving Tails the advantage. Or in areas where there aren't alternative routes for either Tails or Knuckles, Sonic would simply beat them on speed alone.

Of course this would take time and skill to produce and lack widespread appeal just like

so we'll probably never see it from Sega.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Something about that lady's eyes seem off.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Is it the epicanthal folds? Asians have them, you know!