Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Baba O'Riley

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Delphine wrote:End of the rainbow
I can take you
I will catch it for you
Clearly referring to gravity's rainbow, a cum shot that takes an arc, usually into the eye.

What an apt description for what SEGA has done.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Christ, I didn't even know that term.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Locit wrote:Jesus Christ, don't buy this game!
I'm assuming you were playing the Wii version based on your impressions, will you be trying the HD versions also?

I just read 1up's review of the 360 version and the reviewer felt that it was an average game. Not good, but not bad either. A few of his complaints include the hub, the integration of the Boost, and unsurprisingly, the Werehog.

This is looking like yet another Sonic game that will garner a mixed reception from the community. This will probably vindicate the Sonic Cycle for some and not for others.

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Zeta wrote:Christ, I didn't even know that term.
Yeah, well, you know, public school and all of that.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Since I appear to be the only one here who actually LIKES the Wii version to even the slightest degree (I haven't checked every single post, but then again, I'm also lazy), here's my thoughts on the game:

PROS:
1) Well-written story. Hell, I've even LAUGHED a couple of times at the dialogue. Considering the seriousness of the opening cinema (ohnoes Eggman blew up the world and here comes the latest uber-evil force of the week and OHSHIT SONICS A WEREBEAST NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU), it's really not so bad.

2) Voice-acting. 4Kids appears to be doing SOMETHING right this time, because everyone's voices seem to work almost perfectly with their characters. Hell, even Griffith's WereSonic voice isn't nearly as grating as I thought. This leads to...

3) Chip. Despite all appearances, he doesn't sound HALF an annoying as I thought he would. Not at all squeaky or anything. Plus, he makes up a good portion of the game's humor, and the way he keeps introducing himself is amusing (to me, anyway). "Hey Mister, want some chocolate?"

4) Controls. I'm currently using a GCN controller (options are Wiimote + nunchuk, Classic, or GCN), and I have yet to spot any real technical or control-related bugs.

CONS:
1) Graphics. This is more the PS2's fault, because the Wii version is the same as the PS2 version, but it's VERY noticeable in the Werehog model, which seems to have wierd PS1-esque jitters to it.

2) Voice-acting. I don't know if it's sheer laziness or constraint of budget, but 4Kids seems hell-bent on using the SAME DAMN three / four VA's for absolutely fucking EVERYTHING, Sonic or otherwise. (i.e. Griffith = Sonic / Shadow / Jet / Silver? / WereSonic / Lab Assistant / Chip?) Hell, some of my friends have even made a minor meme about one VA, called "the Spirit of Dan Green".

3) Chip. He's the game's Omochao, and doesn't hesitate to pause the game to point out something you've already noticed five minutes ago. Also, some of his humor seems a bit...forced. Not to mention his role as the obvious MacGuffin at the very end of the game.

4) Controls. They're not horrible, but jumping as WereSonic can be tricky, and it would have been nice to have some sort of vague targeting feature for his punches.

All in all, it's not nearly as bad as I had feared it would be (especially compared to all the doomsayers around here, I was afraid it'd be worse than SONIC 2006 at one point).

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

The first thing I've thought when I saw an English clip of Chip I though, "He sounds like..Daxter?"

CM August

Post by CM August »

Strange, I find the voices atrocious, particularly Chip and the Werehog. Different strokes I guess...

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

That's because you're sane. The voices are AWFUL.
Ngangbius wrote:I'm assuming you were playing the Wii version based on your impressions, will you be trying the HD versions also?
Yeah, not, I'll try them but I won't buy them. Now that I've gotten further and unlocked all the Sonic levels it's sort of fun to play through them, but nowhere near the amount of sheer pain it took to get to them. Again, not worth your money. I'm guessing Sonic Team, who aren't nearly as competent as DiMPS, probably screwed them up, too.
I just read 1up's review of the 360 version and the reviewer felt that it was an average game. Not good, but not bad either. A few of his complaints include the hub, the integration of the Boost, and unsurprisingly, the Werehog.
It sounded to me like he wouldn't buy the game with his own money, and the 'passing' grade was mostly for what fun he had in the Sonic bits. That's enough to discourage me.
This is looking like yet another Sonic game that will garner a mixed reception from the community. This will probably vindicate the Sonic Cycle for some and not for others.
Seriously though, don't buy it. Please. If you have to, get your kid brother or someone else to play through it first so you can just play the fun parts, because the werehog levels are excruciating.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Also, Kawamura should be commended for his work on this game. The art design is absolutely fantastic. As is the music!

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Neo wrote:
gr4yJ4Y wrote:I'm pretty sure I'll be getting some for Christmas and my birthday (which are tragically close to each other).
For truth? Mine's on the 15th, when's yours? Honestly, I don't feel it as a hinderance because I've never experienced the other end of the spectrum. What's it like, fellow internetians?
It's not so much the aspect of presents anymore (I'm happy if I get anything), but people are a lot less excited to go to birthday parties in a month full of parties.

Oh, and I was born the 17th of December.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

First 11 minutes of the movie short "Night of the Werehog,"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekaCmJP_ ... ail&fmt=18

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

The full movie short "Night of the Werehog," is shown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekaCmJP_ ... ail&fmt=18

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

SEGA proved my theory: they should take a hiatus from games and make short films, that was rather entertaining.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

I think you mean hiatus from creating Sonic games. That short was the best thing from this franchise in ages.

Bigger version here and in HD: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43079.html?type=

Also Sega tops Square at making entertaining CGI films though I guess many will say 'that's not exactly hard to do.' :lol:

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I just got the game and never have a been so pissed off. this is the first sonic game that in the middle of a level I just said, "fuck this" and stopped playing the game. The werehog levels are the most boring levels I've ever played in my life. I could take playing a werehog level, but not 2 werehog levels in a row. It's super lame. I think the developers made the game all sonic levels at first but then realized, "oh wait, you can beat all the levels in about 30 mins," so they added in the werehog gameplay to make the game longer. Since the werehog moves so slow they don't have to make his stages as big as the sonic stages. Seriously the game is amazingly fun for the 3 mins you play as Sonic, and is complete hell when you are playing a 20 min werehog level.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Majestic Joey wrote:I just got the game and never have a been so pissed off.
Dude what did I tell you. What did I tell you?
Locit wrote:Jesus Christ, don't buy this game!
Oh right that's what I told you. Oh also as the game progresses? You start getting three and four werehog levels in a row. Enjoy!

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

An unlockable comedy cut scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqUXd3NHq7Q

I gotta admit, I like how this game is very light hearted and cartoony like the older games. Any scene with Eggman is comical gold with his assistant now, and these unlockable scenes along with the short seem to help.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I am so sick of all of the condom ads on GameTrailers. I really don't think video gamers need that many condoms.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Someone at Sega must be a fan of Kung-fu Panda.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

I think the Werehog short helped me realize just how poorly designed the whole concept truly is. I mean, it was genuinely charming and entertaining watching Sonic and Chip walk around that mansion, but the moment he turned into the ugly werehog all the charm was lost, and the clip became about Sonic just smashing things with his stupid stretchy arms.

That shorter clip was actually funny, too. I started laughing when Chip was drooling. And no werehog!

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Majestic Joey wrote:... I think the developers made the game all sonic levels at first but then realized, "oh wait, you can beat all the levels in about 30 mins..."
And that's why Sonic's not "all about speed."

Here are some ideas:

1. remove werehog levels
2. put significant platforming in Sonic's levels

The 2.5D sections would have been a good place to add some real platforming. Judging by the Genesis games, someone at Sega knew how to make a good 2D Platformer at some point.
Why didn't someone think of that instead of the stupid werehog bullshit? Oh, right, Sonic = Speed.

3. make Sonic controllable

Starting with Sonic 2K6, Sonic has become quite uncontrollable. I don't know why this is, but fix it. It was fine before then, why the hell has it gotten worse?

4.remove hub world

Don't tell me the hub world is optional when I have to walk around it to find the next zone.

5. fix the camera

That's right, after ten years in 3D, the Sonic camera is still pretty damn broken

6. make Sonic (the Hedgehog) playable, with other major characters as options.

That way, (almost) everyone gets to play as their favorite, without being forced to play as a character they don't like.

As an alternative to all that, the US could use part of the $700 Billion bailout to buy the franchise from Sega and get some competent developers on it. (The graphics/cut scene and music people can stay.)

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I figure they should just put Sonic in the Werehog levels. Just take away the health bars and reduce the amount of enemies you have to kill. Otherwise the homing attack could probably work fine as a replacement for the stretchy arms.

If I had to re-do the game entirely, I'd have just had the whole game be one big area split into different sections, with the Sonic levels being one type of section, the Werehog levels (played as Sonic as mentioned above) being another type of section, and the hub levels being the last type. The Sonic sections would act as an interstate highway of sorts that takes you from one Werehog or hub section to another, and the Werehog and hub sections would be where the important stuff is located.

Now I now what Dac mean when he said that my idea in the level design topic could work better for a game other than Sonic Adventure 2.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Majestic Joey wrote:I just got the game and never have a been so pissed off. this is the first sonic game that in the middle of a level I just said, "fuck this" and stopped playing the game. The werehog levels are the most boring levels I've ever played in my life. I could take playing a werehog level, but not 2 werehog levels in a row. It's super lame. I think the developers made the game all sonic levels at first but then realized, "oh wait, you can beat all the levels in about 30 mins," so they added in the werehog gameplay to make the game longer. Since the werehog moves so slow they don't have to make his stages as big as the sonic stages. Seriously the game is amazingly fun for the 3 mins you play as Sonic, and is complete hell when you are playing a 20 min werehog level.
Are you playing the High-Definition or Standard-Definition version?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Discount Alert? One of my local Wal-Marts was among the many to break the 360 date (that, or it was in the display cases arbitrarily), and the price on it caught my eye: $50. If that was a tagging error, it's a big one, cause in tiny letters under the price it read, "360 SONIC UNLEASHED".

It may have just been that store, and/or it's been a day since I noticed this so they could have caught it by now, but just something to keep in mind if you were buying it anyway. And, if you luck out, then this totally invalidates the Wii version. Har!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Oh please, you know the Wii version will be on sale for 20 bucks in three months tops.