Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Baba O'Riley

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Majestic Joey wrote:after watching the trailer I guess it doesn't even matter what the names of the streets are. I mean Sonic is running like a million miles an hour so it's not like many people will notice.
Yeah, but it's a nice little easter egg. Throwing the fans a collective bone has never really been a bad thing if it's that insignificant.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

Zeta wrote:Like a big statue of a green woman.
That's in New Jersey, actually. :o

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

New wallpaper on the JP site, this time the Werehog in Mazuri at Night.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

P.P.A. wrote:
Dr. BUGMAN wrote:It's like Sonic R all over again.
It really does look like Reactive Factory, awesome. Let's hope it plays as well.
And yeah, the names on the signs are neat.
No is not, Sonic and the secret rings was Sonic R all over again, only that you had to level up and had Boss fights.

This game is like... I have no idea...I just know Sega allways screws it when it does a game for more than one videogame system...

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

OST coming. Guess they found a new distributor without a hitch. It be subtitled "Planetary Pieces" and it'll be another 3-disc whopper. Out January 29th, 4000 yen.
This game is like... I have no idea...
For once, I don't blame him.

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

I only have a Wii. Thank GOD I'm getting a 360 this Christmas.

Still getting Unleashed tomorrow.

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

I looked in the News section briefly and read the title as Sonic Unwashed. The numerous interpretations of that kind of boggled my mind a little bit.

Also, I'm going to rent this and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Apparently Empire City and Mizuri, the best stages, are not in the Wii version. I really hope this game sucks now so I don't have to buy another console.

Spike

Post by Spike »

In all honesty, I blame Nintendo for sacrificing power for the sake of gimmicks(why not have both) thus making us suffer from PS2 ports with tacked on waggle, crappy multiplats, and gimmicky shovelware/casualware. Had the Wii had as powerful at the other consoles, we'd probably have the PS3/360 versions instead, but no! Instead we have to get a game that has to be downgraded for the PS2 screwing us over in the process all because Nintendo decided to remake a Gamecube with waggle! I know the Wii CAN be more powerful than a PS2 or Gamecube or even an Xbox, but even then it's not really that powerful and we'd STILL be stuck with exclusive Wii-only version of games.

Sonic & the Black Knight better make up for this(but I'm extremely doubtful...)...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

In all honesty, I blame Nintendo for sacrificing power for the sake of gimmicks(why not have both) thus making us suffer from PS2 ports with tacked on waggle, crappy multiplats, and gimmicky shovelware/casualware. Had the Wii had as powerful at the other consoles, we'd probably have the PS3/360 versions instead, but no! Instead we have to get a game that has to be downgraded for the PS2 screwing us over in the process all because Nintendo decided to remake a Gamecube with waggle! I know the Wii CAN be more powerful than a PS2 or Gamecube or even an Xbox, but even then it's not really that powerful and we'd STILL be stuck with exclusive Wii-only version of games.
Please, it's not Nintendo forcing the developers to make PS2 games and then port them over to Wii. It's greedy developers who want to keep on milking the PS2 install base and think Wii owners will play any piece of shit.

The next generation may be the last one in terms of advance of graphical power. After that, gimmicks are the only thing that will keep the console wars innovative. Once you get photo realistic, you can't rely on graphics to sell video games anymore. Not to mention that the more realistic you make a game, the more people and money you need, and it still might suck - it might be the world's prettiest game with the worst graphics of all time.

Spike

Post by Spike »

Zeta wrote:
Please, it's not Nintendo forcing the developers to make PS2 games and then port them over to Wii. It's greedy developers who want to keep on milking the PS2 install base and think Wii owners will play any piece of shit.
It's not just the PS2 ports. There are a LOT of games that 360 and PS3 are getting and Wii is not, all because Nintendo decided to half ass it in the graphics department. I mean, some developers don't even want to bother wasting money and resources on the Wii because that would be "Taking a step backwards". And Nintendo is also half assing it by throwing their "Seal of Approval" down the crapper. No, Nintendo isn't forcing developers to make cheap PS2 ports, but at the same time Nintendo isn't enforcing them not to.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

here are a LOT of games that 360 and PS3 are getting and Wii is not, all because Nintendo decided to half ass it in the graphics department.
No, that's because they're aiming for two totally different audiences, dipshit. The Wii's target audience is hardcore Nintendo fans and people who do not normally play videogames - IE, anyone who isn't a male between the ages of 16-30. Do you really think Resistance, Bioshock or Fallout 3 or etc. would sell on Wii even if the Wii could handle them? Or that the Wii would appeal to the FPS-crazed "Hardcore Gamer" crowd when for every generation since the PS1, "all the cool kids know Nintendo is for babies and fags"? Or to the casual crowd, if you added another 200-300 bucks on it's price tag necessary for it to catch up in the hardware department? The GameCube was more powerful than the PS2 but it still got it's ass handed to it. The Wii is less powerful than the PS3, but it's still kicking it's ass. Video Games aren't about raw power anymore, to sell them you need a reasonable price and good marketing.

Spike

Post by Spike »

Zeta wrote:
here are a LOT of games that 360 and PS3 are getting and Wii is not, all because Nintendo decided to half ass it in the graphics department.
No, that's because they're aiming for two totally different audiences, dipshit. The Wii's target audience is hardcore Nintendo fans and people who do not normally play videogames - IE, anyone who isn't a male between the ages of 16-30. Do you really think Resistance, Bioshock or Fallout 3 or etc. would sell on Wii even if the Wii could handle them? Or that the Wii would appeal to the FPS-crazed "Hardcore Gamer" crowd when for every generation since the PS1, "all the cool kids know Nintendo is for babies and fags"? Or to the casual crowd, if you added another 200-300 bucks on it's price tag necessary for it to catch up in the hardware department?
You know what? You're absolutely right. The Wii is for Nintendrones who will buy any shit that'll come from Nintendo's ass, and for casualfags who will buy any accessible bullshit that comes out of everyone else's ass. I don't even know why I have a fucking shitty Wii anyway. You want to defend Nintendo to the death, fine. I'm just going to sell mine and get a console that actually appeals to me so I don't have to put up with going into these stupid debates.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

*Ahem*

Moving on, it seems that Mazuri still has it's Night Section and Boss Battle intact, yet the Day Section for it is gone.

Spike

Post by Spike »

Edgerock wrote:*Ahem*

Moving on, it seems that Mazuri still has it's Night Section and Boss Battle intact, yet the Day Section for it is gone.
Is this for the Wii version? If so, then that means the 60-40 ratio for the Sonic-Werehog stages is wrong... for the Wii version. Lucky us...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

You know what? You're absolutely right. The Wii is for Nintendrones who will buy any shit that'll come from Nintendo's ass, and for casualfags who will buy any accessible bullshit that comes out of everyone else's ass. I don't even know why I have a fucking shitty Wii anyway. You want to defend Nintendo to the death, fine. I'm just going to sell mine and get a console that actually appeals to me so I don't have to put up with going into these stupid debates.
Sell your computer too while you're at it, so the internet doesn't have to listen to your idiocy.

Spike

Post by Spike »

Zeta wrote:
Sell your computer too while you're at it, so the internet doesn't have to listen to your idiocy.
Fine. It also means I won't have to put up with your faggotry either.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Arcade wrote:
P.P.A. wrote:
Dr. BUGMAN wrote:It's like Sonic R all over again.
It really does look like Reactive Factory, awesome. Let's hope it plays as well.
And yeah, the names on the signs are neat.
No is not, Sonic and the secret rings was Sonic R all over again, only that you had to level up and had Boss fights.

This game is like... I have no idea...I just know Sega allways screws it when it does a game for more than one videogame system...
I was referring to the wide, barren tracks dotted with nothing more than rows of rings. Secret Rings at least had obstacles.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

There sure isn't any strong feelings in this topic, no sirree!

Dude, it's an argument on the Internet. A relatively civil one, even. Overreacting much?

Spike

Post by Spike »

Shadow Hog wrote:There sure isn't any strong feelings in this topic, no sirree!

Dude, it's an argument on the Internet. A relatively civil one, even. Overreacting much?
Sorry, I'm a very sensitive person when it comes to name calling and I'll just fly off the handle. And I'm not sure if calling someone a "dipshit" would be considered civil.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

In other news, Sonic has a exclusive interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a32_32mzfLc

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Paving over that little speed bump...
Zeta wrote:The next generation may be the last one in terms of advance of graphical power. [...] Once you get photo realistic, you can't rely on graphics to sell video games anymore.
I honestly wonder about that sometimes. Things look really good in the terms of standard views of landscape and the back of your playable character's head. But then you get to the facial expressions, and they're often not quite there. And I wonder if that's a hardware capability issue (where's the space for the characters' faces after we rendered all that landscape?) or if it's a time/effort thing. I dunno, there's gotta be some reason why I'm too squeamish to watch a flick more gruesome than a Coen Brothers movie and yet I don't bat an eyelash at video game gore. There's something that's keeping these video games from being quite as detailed as Pixar movies. And I wonder if it would be worth the effort to get that "certain something" from a console, if the masses would notice it as well and would be drawn to it. It would probably send the financial aspect through the roof, though, and I'm not ready to bust out a hundred clams on a game.

I've had a slight falling out with the Wii. Partially because the part of me that wanted it to be a serious gaming console as well is reminded of the days when I had to make do with a Game Gear when all the "cool kids" had a Genesis. I think when I see commercials for the 360 and PS3 versions of a game alongside a stripped-down Wii version (like Madden, Shawn White, etc.) I'm reminded of when Sonic games would be launched for the Genesis and then a dummy 8-bit version for my pitiful little handheld system. (Sonic 2 didn't even have any levels in common with its 16-bit sister.) And hey, look at the sparse little version of Unleashed we're getting. The circle stays unbroken. The other part of me that actually got pleasure out of the gimmicks is dismayed that not only is it leading to shovelware, but Nintendo's whoring it out. I don't have a balance board. I don't have anything other than the nunchucks. And now, even though I see absolutely no reason to buy the next Rabbids game, I see that if I wanted to, there would be some minigames I'd just be screwed out of because of my boardlessness. I've often felt that not needing to appease the "hardcore" crowd would lead to more innovative non-clichéd experiences (I think of the Dreamcast, and how No More Heroes and de Blob remind me of some of its more unique titles), but the Wii seems to have fallen into its own demographic's trappings.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

To be honest, I'm not entirely satisfied with the Wii, either, but nothing on the other systems has really caught my eye as a must-have game. My general interest in games is quirky crap like No More Heroes and Katamari Damacy, cutesy sims and platformers like Mario and such, and medium-length RPGs. All of which I can find much more easily on the DS than I can any of the three major systems these days, which tends to go for either FPSes or Minigame collections.

I was even considering buying a PS3 finally for LittleBigPlanet, but after the news that they're banning every other level, I had second thoughts. Then I actually played the game and found a game that had incredible art direction and design but nothing really special aside from that.

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed with the Wii, but I am underwhelmed. However, there have been a few games (Zack and Wiki, Elebits, Mario Galaxy, and Boom Blox) that have made the system worth it and really show off it's potential. I just wish there was more.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Zeta wrote:No, that's because they're aiming for two totally different audiences, dipshit. The Wii's target audience is hardcore Nintendo fans and people who do not normally play videogames - IE, anyone who isn't a male between the ages of 16-30. Do you really think Resistance, Bioshock or Fallout 3 or etc. would sell on Wii even if the Wii could handle them?
I don't suppose you stopped for a moment to consider that maybe if Nintendo did focus on graphics a little more with the Wii, then maybe their target audience would've been different? Spike is 100% correct when he says the games aren't coming to Wii "because of the graphics"; Poor(er) graphics turn away the "hardcore" gamers who might've played Resistance, Bioshock or Fallout.

You seem to be separating "target audience" and "capability of the machine" into two different schools of thought, which is absurd. Those games would sell on the Wii "if the Wii could handle them", because the audience the Wii appealed to would be different. It isn't a difficult concept and definitely not worth mouthing off at anyone over.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I think blaming it entirely on the graphics is a tad excessive. I think the fact its controller is limited in its actual buttons is also a turn-off. I know you can use the GameCube controller, but there's something kinda off about releasing a game that has to run on some kind of last-gen hardware.