It's that time again

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Yami CJMErl

It's that time again

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Yes, it's time for another "recommend games for someone who just got a PS2" thread! *feigns excitement*

Anyway, yes, I just recently acquired a PS2 as a late birthday present from a friend of mine, and while I've been slowly amassing games for it, I'd like to know if there are any hidden gems that I might be unintentionally overlooking somewhere. Here's a list of what I've got so far:

- Burnout Revenge
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
- Xenosaga (I have Eps. I and II, looking for III)
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (missing second disc)
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
- We <3 Katamari

I plan on looking for the Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, and God of War games as well. I don't know why, but I seem to be gravitating towards the supposedly horrible Jaws game, too...

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: It's that time again

Post by FlashTHD »

Couldn't have bumped the old one? (wherever it is)

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I didn't know where it was (or which one it was, but I also didn't look)... <__<;;

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

I thought Shadow Hearts: Covenant was pretty good if you're into RPGs.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Because those will be recommended sooner or later:

-Shadow of the Collossus (you've heard of it)
-Megaman X: Command Mission (pretty decent RPG, but the Gamecube version is better)
-Viewtiful Joe (less polished than the Gamecube version, but has extra features)
-Devil May Cry 1 & 3 (pretty ridiculous at times, but still fun)
-Megaman X8 (on par with X1-X4)
-Dragonball Z Budokai 3 (if you're into that sort of thing)
-Tenchu 3: Wrath of Heaven (kind of a personal favorite, tough)
-Ico (annoying at times, but something to be experienced)

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Recommendations? How about the basics:

Silent Hill 2
Okami
Ico
Kingdom Hearts
Bully
Resident Evil 4 (The Gamecube version is superior, but if you don't have a GC get this)
Fatal Frame 3
Devil May Cry 3
Psychonauts
Katamari Damacy
Bumpy Trot

Those're just the games that I really like. The PS2 has a huge effing library. What do you like?

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Yami CJMErl wrote:I don't know why, but I seem to be gravitating towards the supposedly horrible Jaws game, too...
Don't, just get the PS2 port of Ecco DOTF if you can find it, which (despite being from the same developer) is probably much less of a dice roll in quality.

I'm not going to repeat myself from the last thread, but Beyond Good & Evil is good enough to bear repeating anyway, and god knows Ubisoft management will never let Ancel or anybody finish that sequel. Though I suspect the PS2 version has the most glitches and you should look for it for anything else.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

oshi, just a minute now:
Wikipedia wrote:However, shortly after the convention Ubisoft stated in an interview that work on the title had been neither abandoned nor put on hold.[14] When fans asked for clarifications regarding the mixed signals coming from Ubisoft, a UK forum manager stated that it wasn't technically possible for the game to be delayed since it had not actually been officially announced.[15] In November 2009, Geoffroy Sardin, the General Director of Ubisoft France, said that the rumors about the game being put on hold were false and that development was still on-going.[16]
mumble grumble ffffing shitty ass PR departments ect.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I just picked up God Hand, which has been on my "get this eventually" list for so long that I thought it was an Xbox 360 game. I haven't played it yet.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

If your not a dirty pirate then Mega Man Anniversary Collection is 1 of the best classic game compilations around & the PS2 version is soooooooo the best platform to play it on.

Also I gotta recommend Sly Cooper, the 3rd piece of the PS2 platformer trifecta alongside Jak & Ratchet.

The X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance games are great co-op games. They're like Gauntlet with spandex. Legends 2 & Alliance 1 are the best of the bunch due to the sheer utter amount of powers & customization options available per character.
Kingdom Hearts
Your mileage maywill vary GREATLY with this series. KH1 has basic gameplay but the most charming story. KH2 has refined gameplay but an insanely convoluted plot with none of the original charm. RE:CoM has the most strategic gameplay but it's a budget remake of a GBA game that was itself basically a clip show of KH1.