"Sonic Chronicles" trademarked by Sega

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Shadow Hog

"Sonic Chronicles" trademarked by Sega

Post by Shadow Hog »

According to TSS.

Betcha it's just Bioware's Sonic RPG... But what if it isn't? Maybe they're doing another collection...?
Last edited by Shadow Hog on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DackAttac

Re: "Sonic Chronicles" trademarked by Sega

Post by DackAttac »

...You are aware your source links to sinful ugly?

I'd agree, though, Chronicles sounds really RPG-y. So much so I'd be afraid what else it could possibly apply to.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Considering what the next Nintendo Power's cover story is supposed to be, I wouldn't be surprised if this WAS the title for the Sonic RPG.

Either that or yet another "Classic Sonic games" collection...

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

OK, this is the article.

I can't think of SEGA releasing yet another collection, even if they "tactfully" left out SegaSonic and Chaotix, those are not reason enough to make another one.
But, this trademark should also be made in the West since here's where the game's being developed, ain't it?

This is truly mindboggling.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Oh, wow, how the hell did THAT link happen? XD

I'll fix it in a sec to the correct link (Isuka's), hold on.

And I thought Dack was just implying that TSS was sinfully ugly. Which isn't far from the truth, perhaps.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Sega probably wouldn't release another Sonic classic compilation. Not now, when all three consoles have online services that would allow you to purchase classic titles individually.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Don't knock Sega's desire to milk their previous genius for all their worth.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Re:

Post by Ngangbius »

Isuka wrote:OK, this is the article.

I can't think of SEGA releasing yet another collection, even if they "tactfully" left out SegaSonic and Chaotix, those are not reason enough to make another one.
But, this trademark should also be made in the West since here's where the game's being developed, ain't it?

This is truly mindboggling.
Maybe it's called Chronicles in Japan and something different in the West? Or maybe Sega of Japan is more involved with the Sonic RPG than we think?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Esrever wrote:Sega probably wouldn't release another Sonic classic compilation. Not now, when all three consoles have online services that would allow you to purchase classic titles individually.
Despite not buying any of the Virtual Console titles, I would buy another Sonic collection for my Wii. That probably has more to do with not owning Mega Collection for GC, though.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

These game downloading services aren't a bad idea with both the 360 and the PS3, but those fixed 512 MiB sure must be a pain in the ass for Wii owners. Even if you can backup the ROMs in SD cards, you still have to copy them back to the main system's Flash in order to play them.
Wasting your salary on a bigger hard drive is always smarter and more practical than wasting it on SD cards.

And... I know it's not possible, but how would the Sonic games (or any other 2D platformers) control with the Wiimote's motion sensor? Maybe like when using a PowerGlove attached to an Activator?
Last edited by Isuka on Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

German hackers cracked a huge hole in the Wii security encryption last week, so provided it goes somewhere the VC could turn completely obsolete. But, it might stop Nintendo from even considering hard drive support...

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

G.Silver wrote:Despite not buying any of the Virtual Console titles, I would buy another Sonic collection for my Wii. That probably has more to do with not owning Mega Collection for GC, though.
Any particular reason? It' dirt cheap now, and GC titles work on the Wii. Outside absolutely hating the GC pad I can't see a reason not to pick it up.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Because I own Sonic Jam, I guess.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

When will the pain end?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

There had better not be a single new furry playable character in this enitre game. Although I doubt I'll get my wish, as I've heard BioWare likes to write scripts with more or less the same 8 character archetypes for every game.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Well, think about that for a minute- if Bioware is designing the characters, they might actually be interesting! I mean, I'm not familiar with any of the characters they've created for any games prior, but whatever they create is bound to be more interesting than Shadow and Silver by leaps and bounds.

In fact, get this: The prospect of new characters has never been a deterrent to me. I'll even admit that I still get the slightest bit excited in a puerile fashion when new characters are announced. Sure, the roster's a bit saturated at this point, but since the majority of the characters are throwaways, it never bothered me much. All that concerns me is that the new characters we do get are aesthetically pleasing, if not appealing from a personality standpoint.

Besides, even considering the assload of characters we've already got, just how many of them are actually interesting enough to deliver a compelling story on their own merits? There are only, like, 4 character archetypes between the 30+ characters in the series.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I mean, I'm not familiar with any of the characters they've created for any games prior, but whatever they create is bound to be more interesting than Shadow and Silver by leaps and bounds.
Judging by what I've just looked up, BioWare really likes to use:
* Calm and collected female soldier.
* Perky female techno-whiz.
* Viking-like grizzled warrior who lusts for combat and bloodshed.

Now assign a random animal species to each of the above and you'll probably have any new party members in Sonic Chronicles.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Not really, since those archtypes already exist in the Sonic universe. XD

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

That's actually even better, since it means there's a chance they'll use the pre-existing ones. Maybe even write some character into them.

PS - Zeta, would a playable human really be any better? The closest thing to a main human character in awhile was Elise, who got uncomfortably close to boning Sonic. If she was playable, God knows.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Wasn't Maria playable in Shadow the Hedgehog?

The Ghost Of Ember

Post by The Ghost Of Ember »

DackAttac wrote:PS - Zeta, would a playable human really be any better? The closest thing to a main human character in awhile was Elise, who got uncomfortably close to boning Sonic. If she was playable, God knows.
This is especially disturbing when you take into consideration that most Bioware RPGs have included Romances between the playable character and the NPC's, the most recent of their works even including a (distinctly PG-13) 'love scene.'

Well, at least the furries will be fappy.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Ngangbius wrote:Wasn't Maria playable in Shadow the Hedgehog?
If I recall, just barely.

Like, in a "I can run around but other than that I'm not much good" sort of way.

Like "nerfed Tails".

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Is that "playable"? I considered Shadow as playable, Maria followed.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Would you like to follow a psycho-to-be, black emo hedgehog with a handgun, or do you prefer being carried over by a manly blue hero with 'tude for which you have "the hots"?

Whichever's the case, it looks like both human characters played a role of dumbing down the main protagonist whenever they showed up and not much more. Of course, they were also there for the drama to kick in.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

I don't know how much stock people have in this rumor site, but:
Surfer Girl wrote:4) BioWare's Sonic Chronicles is easily the most inspired game in the Sonic franchise in years and is the best since Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast.
Personally, I hope it's a retelling of the genesis/md games as opposed to, say, SA/2/Heroes/Shadow. A new story is also ok, but the title makes me doubt that possibility.