New 'real' Sonic game?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Espio

New 'real' Sonic game?

Post by Espio »

1up.com is reporting on new upcoming games, and a new 'real' Sonic game. Does anyone have anyting more on this?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164283

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

I'm still on the edge of my seat over the whole Sonic RPG deal, but I don't think that's what they're talking about. I mean, isn't it about time they divulged some info, or showed some screenshots, or, y'know, something?

Then again, this is Bioware- I take it their games don't often have 1 year deadlines. Sega's spoiled me in the worst way imaginable.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Last night I had a dream that there was a new Sonic game that came out, and I bought it but then demanded my money back before I even left the store.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

G.Silver wrote:Last night I had a dream that there was a new Sonic game that came out, and I bought it but then demanded my money back before I even left the store.
Wow. Even your subconscious can tell this game will be crap.

With Sega's famous ability to learn from their mistakes, we might as well assume your dream was a vision.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Out of the now two Sega-related Quartermann rumors we heard, I rather have this one turn out to be true--especially Phoenix Rie is involved.

Seriously, the hell with a yet another crappy new Sonic game! I want a Skies sequel!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

If it's a sequel to Secret Rings, I'd be interested. Anything else and I shudder.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Fix:
If it's a sequel to anything, I shudder.
And seeing as Sega's forgotten the concept of moderation with how many Sonic games they let fly in a given period, this couldn't be in poorer taste and timing assuming it's true. But, sigh. With what we have to go on, my guess is this is either Secret Rings 2 or maybe the hinted-at the Sonic 2 remake, both of which Ogawa said he'd want to do. Or they'll pull another spinoff series/crossover out their ass once more.

I know this is Q-Mann, but love that classic 1up corner-cutting "journalism". That "2D, please!" just rolls off the tongue, is if his job's on the line if he doesn't say it. And the hipocrasy rolls on, ect.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

FlashTHD wrote:maybe the hinted-at the Sonic 2 remake, which Ogawa said he'd want to do.
W-what? Remake? But how? In 2D? In 3D?! I don't know if I can handle Sega doing a 3D version of Sonic 2... I don't think I can handle them even doing a PORT of Sonic 2 at this point...

I think I would have to turn to a life of senseless murder.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I'd love to see a remake of Sonic 2 in HD.

Haaahahahahahahahah! It would just NEVER happen.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

I have scans of the article where Ogawa let that detail slip, all set for the 'net and I can handily upload them tomorrow, but I fear this getting around (it's been months, amazing it hasn't already) and being met by this damned fanbase with the usual closed-minded whinging. Though it being revealed officially without widespread knowledge beforehand might hit harder...

Am I expecting too much of Sonic fans, current and former, to be a headache when you think they will?

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

FlashTHD wrote:Fix:
If it's a sequel to anything, I shudder.
I don't know what you're expecting. Secret Rings is about as divergent as you'll probably get from a big-budget game. Anything else, and it's just desecrating the platform. I won't pretend Secret Rings is perfect, but it's got more than a few heads on StH360. There is a difference between a flawed game and a plight on humanity.

Also, S&tSR was apparently the biggest rush job to date, which makes me curious how a sequel would fare under a more realistic timeline.
FlashTHD wrote:And seeing as Sega's forgotten the concept of moderation with how many Sonic games they let fly in a given period, this couldn't be in poorer taste and timing assuming it's true.
They're "hard at work", not "aiming for a Q4 release". I'll get nervous if the promotional materials start shooting out too fast, and I'll start biting my nails if the release date isn't at least two years out, but keep in mind StH360 was conceived and promo'd before Shadow was even released, and that its conception was not one of its vices (and its vices were many). But currently, Sonic has gone into full-blown whore mode with all these spin-offs and mini-games. It's the mid-90's all over again. It's been almost a year since StH360 underwhelmed us, I'd be worried for the dignity of Sonic as a franchise and its future as an adventure game saga if they didn't commit to a serious project soon.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

A Wildfire sequel wouldn't fall under my definition of a serious project. More like giving a sequel to one -more- game that was a little less than deserving of it. But i'll concede the rest.

I suppose i'll let those scans stew a bit longer, not like everybody's got to know.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

FlashTHD wrote:usual closed-minded whinging.
Now that's just not fair. After what the series has been through, it's a little unrealistic to expect people to think "hmmm, that sounds like a great idea, and I trust Sega to pull it off." Sonic's had a few shining spots, but the failures still outweigh the successes. Everyone thought things were going to improve with Sonic 360, but if anything it just showed us that Sega lost their grip on their flagship franchise and can't quite get the grease off their hands. Right now, Secret Rings can be considered more of a fluke than a sign that Sega's on the right track.

Unless those scans include the words "oh and we're adding Shadow and Silver into the game for no reason." Then yeah, it'd be a bitchfest. Myself included...

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Black Rook wrote:
Now that's just not fair. After what the series has been through, it's a little unrealistic to expect people to think "hmmm, that sounds like a great idea, and I trust Sega to pull it off."
I don't. Want I want to avoid is fanning flamewars, nor do I necessarily want to give leverage to those who immedeately assume it won't just be bad, but no better than Sonic '06.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

FlashTHD wrote:Want I want to avoid is fanning flamewars, nor do I necessarily want to give leverage to those who immedeately assume it won't just be bad, but no better than Sonic '06.
It's going to suck. It's going to suck so bad.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Ngangbius wrote:Out of the now two Sega-related Quartermann rumors we heard, I rather have this one turn out to be true--especially Phoenix Rie is involved.

Seriously, the hell with a yet another crappy new Sonic game! I want a Skies sequel!
I really don't think a Skies sequel is going to be made about now, especially because Shuntaro Tanaka (the main scenario writer of Skies of Arcadia) and most of the Overworks team is working on Valkyrie of the Battlefield: Gallian Chronicles. I also believe the Sakura Taisen team is also working on that game, but I don't know anything about them and how they will affect the overall game. I'm more worried about Sega rushing games out when they're barely playable, I hope they stop doing that someday.

Speaking of Valkyrie of the Battlefield, it looks nice but for some reason I think it's steampunkish watercolor Miyazaki-esque anime style is a bit over the top. Nevertheless, if it does get released in English, it's one of the games I'd like to try out anyway. I think the quality of this game would cement my opinion on whether or not I want Sega to greenlight an Eternal Arcadia sequel or not.

Also, Sega has never bothered to localize Seaman 2, though they seem to be intend to release Ryū ga Gotoku 2 here. According to Play (or Games, I forgot which magazine I read at the store), it's quite popular in Japan. If I can get more solid positive impressions on the sequel I might be compelled to check out it's predecessor Yakuza, but all I hear is that it substantially improved on the first game. I also wonder what became of Shenmue Online.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I think Sega knows that Sonic is on the ropes, personally. At least, Sega of America knows he is - I think Simon Jeffery, President of Sega of america, has even come right out and said he understands that the recent Sonic games have been mistakes. However, Simon has also said that he is powerless to do anything about it - what happens with Sonic is purely a Sega of Japan decision.

Sega of Japan has always made kind of weird and dumb decisions about things in the past, especially regarding the Sonic franchise, which is even more dead in Japan than it is here.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Sega of Japan seems to be the root of most of Sega's problems. Or maybe the sammy part of it.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I'm really praying like hell that BioWare game does well. Maybe it'll break the cycle of "Sega puts out its own game every 18 months". I don't even know if it's the talent or lack thereof at Sega, or the deadlines they weave out of trans-utopian insanity; they try to get a full adventure game out the gates in less time it takes for the average band to record and release 40 minutes of music. I don't care what kind of skillful employees you have, that's just downright unfeasible.

So in a way, with each passing day I don't see jack for promotional materials for that RPG, the more I'm convinced they're moving at a rational pace, and we won't have the usual slap-dash affair.

If Flash is already sitting on scans of this puppy, though, I'm no longer holding my breath.

PS -
FlashTHD wrote:
Black Rook wrote:
Now that's just not fair. After what the series has been through, it's a little unrealistic to expect people to think "hmmm, that sounds like a great idea, and I trust Sega to pull it off."
I don't. Want I want to avoid is fanning flamewars, nor do I necessarily want to give leverage to those who immedeately assume it won't just be bad, but no better than Sonic '06.
I want to agree, since I'm sick of how 'cool' it is to pretend that Sonic's never been anything but the gaming equivalent of a root canal since Sonic & Knuckles, but at the same time, we're just gonna be looking at screenshots. All the Sonic atrocities, (the serious ones, anyway) have always looked great. The controls are their Achilles' heel, and that's hard to judge from stills. All I could possibly take solace in from visuals alone are things like an absence of bottomless pits, and inspired-looking bosses.
Last edited by DackAttac on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

It strikes me as kind of funny that a company with a solid interest an in creating games for Western audiences, still insists that some of its games are handled by teams with largely Japanese developers. Why not devolve responsibility for main Sonic games to some of the newly acquired western studios that have fresh, new ideas? It should be evident to anyone in Sega of Japan that it would be wise to consider this, as with Sonic at least, Sonic Team are clearly not up to the job anymore.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

DackAttac wrote:
I want to agree, since I'm sick of how 'cool' it is to pretend that Sonic's never been anything but the gaming equivalent of a root canal since Sonic & Knuckles, but at the same time, we're just gonna be looking at screenshots. All the Sonic atrocities, (the serious ones, anyway) have always looked great. The controls are their Achilles' heel, and that's hard to judge from stills.
Nah, Sonic Heroes and particularly Shadow looked terrible from the start. I thought Sonic 2K6 looked genuinely attractive, though-- that one nearly suckered me in.

And just for the record, I still maintain that SA1 and SA2 were good games, though I don't think I've ever seen a game fail to withstand the passage of time as badly as SA1 did.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Cuckooguy wrote:I really don't think a Skies sequel is going to be made about now, especially because Shuntaro Tanaka (the main scenario writer of Skies of Arcadia) and most of the Overworks team is working on Valkyrie of the Battlefield: Gallian Chronicles. I also believe the Sakura Taisen team is also working on that game, but I don't know anything about them and how they will affect the overall game. I'm more worried about Sega rushing games out when they're barely playable, I hope they stop doing that someday.
Hey, about that...I was in Barnes & Noble today and flipped through the recent EGM (Ninja Gaiden II on the cover). Take it for what you will, but Qmann's under the impression that a Skies sequel is on the way too.

I read play's preview of the new Golden Axe too. Looks like a major bomb waiting to blow, and this is coming from a man who already can't stand Golden Axe.
And just for the record, I still maintain that SA1 and SA2 were good games, though I don't think I've ever seen a game fail to withstand the passage of time as badly as SA1 did.
You're talking about the way the press treats it?

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

I went to Wal-Mart two days ago. I noticed that they had Platinum Hits copies of Sonic 06. I didn't think that game would've sold enough copies to warrant a Platinum Hits version.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

They're probably just desperate to shunt out what copies remain so they can be rid of it.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Dunno about platinum status, but they're on the bargain shelf at our Wal-Mart for a sticker price of $19.95 now.