Could an SatAM/Archie character work in a Sonic game?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Thank god no one thought about that.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Maybe they did, but couldn't work out an agreement between the respective parent companies.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Ugh. It would probably manage to be worse than that horrible Sonic X Image crossover. That was a bunch of nonsense.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Opa-Opa wrote:Ugh. It would probably manage to be worse than that horrible Sonic X Image crossover.
..whut?

WW

Post by WW »

It was'nt a Sonic X and Image crossover, it was an Archie Sonic and Image Crossover.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

I believe he meant "X" as in cross, not as in Sonic X. But I may be wrong.

But yeah, that comic sucked nuts. Absolutely nothing in it made sense*, and, IMHO, it was akin to Ken Penders masturbating in comic form.

Just IMHO.

* Then again, in the specials/Pender's writing in general, that's not a huge surprise.

EDIT:
Now I'm thinking about that Archie/Punisher crossover that happened...

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

We still haven't gotten a Sonic/Mario crossover, but I'm not entirely sure how the game industries would handle that for real. I guess some things were meant to be confined to the works of amateur Flash artists.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Well, there's always Smash Bros. Brawl...maybe...

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

DBurraki wrote:But yeah, that comic sucked nuts. Absolutely nothing in it made sense*, and, IMHO, it was akin to Ken Penders masturbating in comic form.
Speaking of which, anyone remember that one comic where Penders's kids/niece/nephew/spawn get sucked into the Archie Sonic world?

"Masturbation" may or may not be an appropriate word to describe that little incident, given what it involves.
Now I'm thinking about that Archie/Punisher crossover that happened...
I have read it... and surprisingly, I liked it. Sure, Punisher himself had to be neutered, but the odd mix of styles somehow works. A second attempt would be instant fail, though.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

DBurraki wrote:I believe he meant "X" as in cross, not as in Sonic X. But I may be wrong.
You are right.
DBurraki wrote:Now I'm thinking about that Archie/Punisher crossover that happened...
That one was actually pretty cool. Even though the Punisher was a bit "lighter" as Rook mentioned, it was very funny, as it was intended to be, and I never cared for Archie and his gang of old-fashioned teens. I guess it's only flaw was that it ended up spawning (no pun inteded) that horrible Sonic/Image disaster.
Black Rook wrote:Speaking of which, anyone remember that one comic where Penders's kids/niece/nephew/spawn get sucked into the Archie Sonic world?
Yeah. That was terrible. I saw the cover and thought it would be something along the lines of a "real" Sonic. Like, him in the real world, very well painted so that he blends really well to the scenery and stuff. Instead it was like watching a bad cereal commercial.

Maybe it's only worse to that Sally Moon thing which I don't even want to remember. Those guys at Archie were in deep in heavy drugs those times.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Oh, well, glad to see I'm not the only one that liked that crossover. Personally, I think it shows that weird shit can work if you know what you're doing (thusly, the popularity of Kingdom Hearts. I can't name many people who'd thought that'd actually work out when the information was first released). Then again, I wasn't a fan or really read any of either Archie or Punisher before then, so I wouldn't know if that was a bastardization of either series.

However, I don't think Ken does know what he's doing. Actually, IMHO, I think Penders would rather be writing a superhero comic, if that makes any sense. You know, latex costumes and eight million clones of the main protagonist. It'd definitely explain the things he's done. Specially in regard to Knuckles. I mean, he turned Knuckles into a mutant with magical powers*, and his relatives are all in some sort of... Justice League of echidnas that shouldn't exist.

It's too much drama and plot distortion to me, which is one of the reasons I stopped buying the comics for a long time (I've since picked them back up, as Ian has actually managed to make me laugh and the flow of Ron Lim art seems to of halted).

... I almost forgot about that Sailor Moon thing, as well. I think that's an example of where your mind tries to block out memories in order to save your sanity or something... actually, the Sailor Moon crossover thing wasn't the only example of that... off the top of my head:
*Sailor Moon
*Gatchamon
*Ally McBeal
*Sabrina the Teenage Witch (twice)

Can't think of anymore but god I'm sure there is.

*Sorry, Chaos powers.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

*Ally McBeal
Wait...WHAT?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yes, Penders writes Sonic like he's writing X-men. Which is why the comic sucks. Because that sort of serious melodrama is bad enough with humans, but when it's with adorable anthropomorphic woodland creatures, nobody's suspension of disbeleif can hold up that well unless they're severely retarded or a furry.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Or the target demographic of little kids.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Ngangbius wrote:
*Ally McBeal
Wait...WHAT?
It was one of those alternate universe stories. One of the least insulting ones actually. See here.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

FlashTHD wrote:
Ngangbius wrote:
*Ally McBeal
Wait...WHAT?
It was one of those alternate universe stories. One of the least insulting ones actually. See here.
Well, how insulting it is is a matter of opinion. I found it completely retarded (never a fan of Ally McBeal/court and law sorta stuff) and the art style used was ... well... Sally should never have pouty lips. Ever.

Actually, if you give me a tish, I can get you a scan or something just to show how terribly wrong it is.

EDIT: And here you go.

1. Sonic just looks... well, look at it. It doesn't need a description.
2. I'm just deeply amused that it looks like Sally got clocked in the face there. But I doubt it was intentional.
3. POUTY LIPS.
4. Compare the proportions here to the first panel. Yeah.
Last edited by DBurraki on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

FlashTHD wrote:
Ngangbius wrote:
*Ally McBeal
Wait...WHAT?
Yeah, the little kids nowadays LOVE Ally McBeal.

Did they forget they were writing a comic for kids, or did they just want to do crossovers of shows the writers themselves watched?

Aaaaaand one gigantic WTF at how Sally was drawn in that last panel. Either her head inflated, or her body shrunk.

The dramatic change of designs in every new panel, combined with the oddball crossover of Sonic and Ally McBeal, makes me think of how Shmorky would make an Archie comic.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The joke is obviously that Callista Flockheart is annorexic freak.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Ah man, that art is so bad, it is hilarious. I'm assuming these panels were drawn by the infamous Ron Lim?

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Suzzane Paddock and Harvo!, actually. It's too good to be Lim.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

HOLY SHIT HER HEAD IS HUGE

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Yeah, no, what the fuck. The little glare(?) on their eyes is just awful as well.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I think the reason for that is because they had a different artist work on each panel. Bad idea.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Ngangbius wrote:Ah man, that art is so bad, it is hilarious. I'm assuming these panels were drawn by the infamous Ron Lim?
I still can't get my head around it. Ron Lim is a damn good artist. One of my favourites.

http://www.ronlimart.com/pages/gallery01.html
http://www.mythanosart.com/gallery.aspx ... c23cfeba49
http://comics.ign.com/articles/738/738429p1.html

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Ron Lim is fantastic... when in his element. But when it comes to drawing stylized cartoon animals... he's... not so good. Having him draw for the Sonic comics was probably one of the worst ideas ever. The characters come off as really... dopey.

...Want scans?