Could an SatAM/Archie character work in a Sonic game?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Why not? I'm curious.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I really enjoyed some of Lim's early art in Sonic, particularly the Sonic vs. Silver Sonic II battle in #85, but his later stuff looks like he wasn't even trying. After a few years reading those comics, I got the feeling that the writers and artists didn't consider the series worth putting any effort into, maybe just an easy source of income.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

There's some scans already available online, so here you go.

Not the worst of it, but still. Notice Tails's hair, Amy's ears, and how Sonic is drawn in that last panel.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Sonic looks like a giant eyeball with spikes.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Tails sure has a huge nose. That, combined with the smaller, rounder ears make him look more like a bear than a fox.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Not to mention in the panel with Tails recovering you can see he drew a stripe on one of his shoes that they colored in red to hide, and he apparently couldn't draw his socks consistently. In the same panel.

The coloring is pretty shoddy as well, with Tails' shoes being reversed to white->red instead of red->white on the last page.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Bunnie has long hair now?

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Opa-Opa wrote:Bunnie has long hair now?
Myes. Along with the human-esque limbs. She's pretty much a furry now, wearing a cowboy outfit and flying around with her jet legs.

That last part of that statement is so freaking bizarre when I think about the old SatAM cartoon. Needless to say, I like SatAM Bunnie much much more then Archie's take. But, what can be done?

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Ugh.

WW

Post by WW »

Funny thing is, his art when he had just started out was rather decent.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

At least Penders is gone now. And, for the most part, so is Ron Lim (they only bring him out on very rare occasions now, it seems).

Anyway, this seems like as appropriate topic as any; I collected a group of scans from the more recent issues. Generally three of my favorite pages or so from each issue. You know, if anybody wants to see how much the comic has improved in the last year or so.

http://blazefire.mooglecavern.com/temp/ ... asers/?M=A

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

"Scourge"?

aso

Post by aso »

Locit wrote:"Scourge"?
Scourge: The 'Anti-Sonic' from Anti-Mobius, except that now he's green.

... and what the hell, someone made a MySpace page for Scourge. There's a bonafide furry RP going on that page, with drama and pregnancy and all sorts of crap. lol internets

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Hey, that "forshadowing.jpg" page wasn't that bad. Very nice art.

Too bad the writing is so.. uhm. not good.

Sonic: "Hey Rad red!"

Knuckles: "Yo, "True blue!"

Interesting on how they gave Snively a green version of Eggman's outfit.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

They strangely made Snively's top red in the latest issue. Just an error, I'd imagine.

Since Tracey Yardley jumped on, Bunnie is looking a lot better in her design - like having big feet like she used to.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

for-shadowing.jpg wrote:Come back to us for Sonic the Hedgehog #171 when Shadow can finally answer the question of who "I AM!"
I wonder if there are 8 versions of Sonic the Hedgehog #171.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

It'd have made a great cash-cow opportunity. Shame there was only one, though.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Variant editions helped practically kill comics in the speculator boom-bust of the 1990s.

Looking at all those scans of the Archie Sonic comics just makes me further appreciate how really damn awesome Richard Elson and Nigel Dobbyn were on the UK's Sonic the Comic. Neither had any particular love for the Sonic video games, they were just utmost professional in their jobs.

http://home.graffiti.net/icecap/08.jpg

http://home.graffiti.net/icecap/16.jpg

They had the obvious advantage of not having to deal with the half-assed inkers and colourists at Archie, but still, holy shit.

WW

Post by WW »

Why is everyone drawn in the exact same pose with thier arms sticking out to the side, like they're playing a one man game of Red Rover or something?

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Crazy Penguin wrote:They had the obvious advantage of not having to deal with the half-assed inkers and colourists at Archie, but still, holy shit.
Yeah. A friend of mine went to UK and bought me some StCs from the Sonic Adventure days. There were some stories from the Metallix and the Chaotix. I was amazed by the quality on those drawings. I think the first Nack that I drew was from those comics.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Variant editions helped practically kill comics in the speculator boom-bust of the 1990s.

Looking at all those scans of the Archie Sonic comics just makes me further appreciate how really damn awesome Richard Elson and Nigel Dobbyn were on the UK's Sonic the Comic. Neither had any particular love for the Sonic video games, they were just utmost professional in their jobs.

http://home.graffiti.net/icecap/08.jpg

http://home.graffiti.net/icecap/16.jpg

They had the obvious advantage of not having to deal with the half-assed inkers and colourists at Archie, but still, holy shit.
Holy shit, styracosaurus/echidna bloodfued? That's a level of 'what' I've yet to encounter. And yet, even then, that's not quite the level of batfuckery that Archie has reached on occasion.

I have nothing to say about Fleetway's artwork, really, other then what's already been said (it's fantastic... I think it was actually painted too, but don't qoute me on that as I'm not sure).

I remember though that there's this one artist in Fleetway who's work is... really bizarre. Like extremely angular and flat? Not sure of the name. Drew a lot of giant mice though.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

You mean Mick McMahon? I hated him. His idea of "furries" is "human being with an animal head for some particular reason". Plus his design of Sonic was styled VERY closely after the European box of <i>Sonic 3D</i>, which easily remains one of the worst depictions of Sonic ever made.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Shadow Hog wrote:His idea of "furries" is "human being with an animal head for some particular reason".
So... that's like 5 of the artists from Archie.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I've got a lot of respect for Richard Elson. I read Sonic the Comic fanatically as a kid and his art used to make my heart sing. If you go back and look at his early STC work and then the later stuff, you can see a massive change-- it was awesome watching his style progress over the years. He draws for 2000 AD now, I believe:

Not all STC artwork was as good, of course. I don't know the name of the guy who did this stuff but his art used to make me feel faintly ill:

WW

Post by WW »

Maybe I just don't get it, but I was never a fan of any of the art from StC.