They don't make cartoons like they used to.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Shadow Hog

Re: They don't make cartoons like they used to.

Post by Shadow Hog »

...dude, "funny haha" and "funny peculiar" are pretty common phrases. They're not obscure.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Well he seemed to be pointing out a reference to something by posting a picture followed by text in quotes. But who am I to judge.

I've never heard anyone say "<adjective> <example>", only "<example> <adjective>", ie. "TV ugly, not ugly ugly". Woah, now I made a reference.

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Sling Blade?

I mean really. I think we're all better than that.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

Speaking of stuff, i find it really annoying that out of all the great, clever so called "kids cartoons" to come out since the early 90's, pretty much the only one to have found some mainstream success among adult audiences is fucking god damn Spongebob. It's not that it's a bad show, but why the hell do so many people who would never watch any other cartoon that isn't The Simpsons or Family Guy love it so much? I don't know how this Spongebob-mania started but i guess that it somehow just snowballed to the point it is at now, where your average 19-year old will consider the gay invertebrate the greatest camp-cool thing of the decade while laughing at the very idea of ever watching something like Dexters Laboratory or The Powerpuff Girls.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Dr. Watson wrote:Speaking of stuff, i find it really annoying that out of all the great, clever so called "kids cartoons" to come out since the early 90's, pretty much the only one to have found some mainstream success among adult audiences is fucking god damn Spongebob.
I'm sorry, weren't we just discussing Ren & Stimpy? Case in point, that show aired on Spike TV for a time. Spongebob hasn't done that yet.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I'm still waiting for Dexter's Laboratory to get a DVD release. I didn't care for the later season(s) with the change in art direction, but everything up to Ego Trip was very nifty.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Watching the latest episodes of The Simpsons is like looking at myself in the TV screen slowly dying of cancer. I just can't stomach it, yet most of my relatives don't seem to be bothered by how stupid and denigrating the show has become. Family Guy and American Dad lack that intelligent social critique (at least for me) and don't have a name to uphold, so they don't make me cringe that much.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

How to save The Simpsons; fire the current writers, cancel Futurama, and make the former Futurama writers the new Simpsons writers. Then we can all gladly pretend that seasons 9 to... 37 (or whatever the hell we are up to at this point) never happened and live happily ever after.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Both series are waaaaaay too different for this idea to work. Besides, Futurama was already kind of canceled (as a TV show).

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Actually, the opposite is why the Simpsons is in trouble in the first place. When Futurama launched, most of the best Simpsons writers left the show to go do Futurama, and new and shittier writers were hired to work on the Simpsons, till it became a second-rate parody of Family Guy.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I hate how the new simpsons episodes diss family guy a lot. I mean sure, family guy does use a lot of the same exact jokes over and over but I can watch family guy and laugh out loud at least twice and episode. That's still pretty bad but hey, it's still better than what the simpsons can do.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I was thinking the other day how mediocre seasons 9 thru about 12 were compared to the first eight, and how horrid all the later seasons were compared to 9 thru 12. If they can't hire good writers, I wouldn't mind seeing The Simpsons end. It's had a good run, and the movie, while not great, provided decent closure.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I honestly thought that after Futurama got canceled, The Simpsons got a lot better again. It's not the great show it was during seasons 3-6, but it's still a lot better than Family Guy. (And as long as they don't sink back to the awfulness of seasons 12 & 13, it will stay that way.)

Am I the only one who thinks The Cleveland Show is a horrible idea?

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Nah. How can anyone think "Family Guy except the cast is black" is a good idea?