Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey" from Warren Spector

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Re: Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey" from Warren Spector

Post by Ngangbius »

Thanks for those links. I never knew that Phantom Blot appeared on TV other than, supposedly Ducktales.

Game Informer written up a large article mostly about the history of Mickey and Oswald here. It seems to me that this is a bit bigger than "just a new game staring MM for the Wii", and more like a possible re-introduction/reboot to the Mickey who was a charming character in 30's and less of a bland personality that started in the 40's to a new audience. This game will probably get much more hype than any entry of the KH series ever did. Also this is the best thing that came from the article:

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I bet there's going to be some cheesy plot twist where the Blot goes out of Oswald's control and he and Mickey have to team up to beat him.

Actually on second thoughts I don't think I'd even mind that.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

It'd probably be better handled than every Sonic game since Adventure 1.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I once had an idea for a game in which Stanley the Bugman exacts revenge on Mario & luigi for abandoning him in the arcade. He also enlisted the help of Wart & Tatanga. I like the way Mr. Spector thinks. I should check out his other games.
Most notably, his eyes developed pupils and changed in shape and size.
Pretty sure they meant 'sclera'.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Who actually owns the rights to Oswald right now, or is he in the public domain?

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Believe it or not, Disney. Apparently, he was traded to ESPN from NBC recently, and of course Disney own ESPN.

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2324417

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Part of the cover reminds me of this. Guess which part.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

http://i38.tinypic.com/1o2cfr.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/20f6ihc.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/v3htz4.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/w15g5j.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/162a5qw.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/29lgwtv.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/2ih2d6a.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/105pg1h.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2u5tgex.jpg
As Game Informer has been hyping for weeks now, their latest issue features a huge spread on Epic Mickey. You get your first look at in-game screens and brand-new art, as well as Mickey's redesign, and a host of other characters. Obviously, I cannot show you that here, but thanks to Hero of Legend, I can give you the first details!

- Mickey's appearance is much, much closer to his original debut style
- Disney was the one to approach Spector
- Spector originally was against the idea of creating a Mickey game, because he said that he didn't do kids games
- Spector changed his mind when Disney said that they were looking for someone to 'reinvigorate' Mickey
- Disney had to get back the rights to Oswald before he could be used in this game
- the sorcerer Yensid creates a pen-and-paper world for his forgotten creations, which is where Oswald lives
- this world is similar to Walt Disney World
- Mickey enters this world through a magic mirror, and accidentally spills paint and paint thinner on the drawing of this world. Mickey escapes before Yensid finds out.
- The spill that Mickey caused ends up turning the drawing into a twisted version of what was originally created.
- the Phantom Blot ends up taking over this world
- many years later, after Mickey becomes successful, he re-enters the mirror and sees what has happened to the world. The Phantom Blot drags Mickey into the world, which is where your adventure begins
- use the Wiimote to paint in buildings, platforms and more
- swipe away enemies with the Wiimote when using paint thinner
- create/destroy the world as you go along
- Junction Point took hundreds of photos while at Disney World in order to capture the essence of the park, and translate ideas into the game
- play the game as you like, either destroying everything in sight, or taking the hero's route. It's completely up to you, and you can mix-and-match play styles
- Gremlin Village is reminiscent of 'It's a Small World'
- Mickey's appearance and stance will change based on the way you play the game
- trade some items for health
- Pete returns, and at one point attacks you with a huge zepplin
- Donald Duck animatronic pieces are scattered throughout one portion of the game. Collect them to put him back together.
- Spector wants this game to scare kids, in some ways
- the game will also have funny parts
- Spector calls the game world's visuals 'the bastard child of Tim Burton and Disney'
- elements of platforming, exploration and role-playing
- go into the inner-workings of some levels and rides
- visit the gears and mechanics underneath the 'It's a Small World' ride, complete with an eerie re-imagining of the music
- enter movie screens to move from in-game island to island
- movie screen transitions put you into a 2d world, where you'll revisit some of Mickey's old cartoons
- find sketches, and bring them to life with your paintbrush
- sketches can be activated to give you new powers (clock sketch to slow time, TV sketch to distract enemies, and more)
- collect 'E-Tickets' to enter rides, and use as a form of currency to buy power-ups
- Jim Dooley 'Pushing Daises' is doing the soundtrack

Warren Spector on Mickey

"I want him to be a hero...and I want to remind him that it's okay to behave badly."

Warren on Oswald

"All he really wants is to be loved by Walt Disney. In the end, the Blot won the war and pushed Oswald into hiding and exile."

Warren on the Gremlins

"The Gremlins are the only forces of good in the world that can continue to fight against the Blot.

Warren on the Bunny Kids

"These are going to be the breakout stars of the game. Mark my words."

Warren on the Buddies (Donald, Goofy, ect.)

"Oswald is trying to recreate Mickey's life, so he has the Mad Doctor build these animatronic versions of his buddies."

Warren on the Mad Doctor

"He's from an early 30's cartoon that is pretty swell."

Warren on the Phantom Blot

"The Phantom Blot has been a consistent villain since 1939. He's just been lame."

Warren on the Blotlings

"They're the popcorn unit. You need something that the player can just swat away. They're supposed to be funny, silly and stupid."

Warren on the Beetleworx

"In order to deal with these guys, you have to erase their painted bits to get to the vulnerable inert spots underneath."

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

This almost makes me want to buy a Wii. But having just one good game (Well, there's the new 2D Mario too) isn't worth spending $200.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Pretty much all of Nintendo's headliners aren't doing much for you? Really? I mean Brawl was overrated, yeah, but Galaxy was supremely kickass, I genuinely enjoyed Super Paper Mario, Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil 4's best version is the Wii's, and, well, if all that fails, there's still homebrew (probably the best home console for it, too).

That being said, this is probably one of the first games I've been genuinely interested in for a good while. About time we've had a good new 3D platformer coming our way - not just for the Wii, but ANY console. That genre's dying out in favor of more and more CoD4 knockoffs, so any attempt to resuscitate it is appreciated.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Shadow Hog wrote:Resident Evil 4
port
Shadow Hog wrote:Twilight Princess
port
Shadow Hog wrote:Super Paper Mario
port

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Where are you buying Super Paper Mario for the Game Cube.

Anyways, I don't like the sound of the moral compass mechanic; has anyone been able to pull that off successfully?

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Where are you buying Super Paper Mario for the Game Cube.
It was developed for Cube and got ported to Wii instead.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Shadow Hog wrote:Resident Evil 4's best version is the Wii's
Really? What changed that made it better? I know there's a new minigame and a new set of costumes, but that stuff isn't really worth buying the game again.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I was told the controls were far far far better, if only because Wiimote aiming is generally superior to thumbstick aiming. Also all the bonus content from the PS2 version, but with the graphic fidelity of the GC version (ie: better).

And I'll give you the other two, but you can't buy Super Paper Mario for anything other than the Wii. Crying "port" doesn't do shit here - it's exclusive. Try having an actual argument next time, it works wonders.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Alright, semi-port then. I was really looking forward to getting it for the 'Cube before it got scrapped and ported to the Wii instead, so it's always seemed like a port in my eyes.

The Wii is still pretty much a worthless console. Shit graphics aside, its got a pretty boring library of titles that mostly consist of minigame-fests, TV Show/Movie-Based games, (Deal or No Deal: The Videogame!) ports, and the usual lame Mario spinoffs, with a few decent games released now and then that really don't justify the $200 price tag.

Also, go fuck a horse.

love, cj

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think I have more games for the Wii than the 360 and PS3 combined. (That's at least partially because I prefer to play Valve games and Bioshock on the PC. But still!)

de Blob, Boom Blox, No More Heroes, Trauma Center: New Blood, Wario Land, Punch Out, and of course, Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3... there are a lot of Wii titles I've really enjoyed. I dunno. I'm glad there is at least one system where the kind of stuff I like are considered a A or B-list titles instead of obscure niche markets. I look at Gears of War, or GTA, or Halo, or Resistance, or Prototype, or Infamous, or what seems like 90 percent of the other stuff that comes out for the Xbox, and I swear to god, no matter how I try or how well-received they are I can not force myself to give a shit. It's kind of depressing.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Ah, right, Wario Land. Why don't I own that, again? I rented it, beat it, loved it, but never got around to buying it...

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It probably doesn't help that a lot of the "next gen" games that did seem like my thing -- Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia, Resident Evil 5 -- just didn't really quite come together in the end. But hey, I'll always have Dead Space.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Esrever wrote:I look at Gears of War, or GTA, or Halo, or Resistance, or Prototype, or Infamous, or what seems like 90 percent of the other stuff that comes out for the Xbox, and I swear to god, no matter how I try or how well-received they are I can not force myself to give a shit. It's kind of depressing.
I don't even try to. Saves me sanity and $$$. Chill.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Esrever wrote:I look at Gears of War, or GTA, or Halo, or Resistance, or Prototype, or Infamous, or what seems like 90 percent of the other stuff that comes out for the Xbox, and I swear to god, no matter how I try or how well-received they are I can not force myself to give a shit. It's kind of depressing.
I felt the same way, but have you actually sat down and played these games? They might surprise you. Even though the artwork and general design might not be that great on paper (or YouTube), you may find that they're actually fun to play. I wasn't really interested in InFamous until I played it for a while (2 missions mind you... I've been too poor to buy it), but then had a lot of fun with it.

The actual screenshots for Epic Mickey look interesting, but don't blow my mind like the concept art did. But what should I have been expecting (rhetorical)?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Wario Land Shake, seriously. I think it was my favorite game this year, unless I am remembering wrong and it came out last year. Which is pretty bad news for this year.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Yeah, it came out a little over a year ago.

Also, having characters names being other peoples' names when spelled backward is getting pretty old.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

You probably shouldn't hold that against Yensid... he was created 68 years ago.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I've got a total of 8 (physical) games for the 360 and PS3 combined compared to 13 for the Wii. (Of course, 4 or 5 of those I don't particularly recommend and 2 I've yet to play.) I hate to think there's some connection, but my favorite Wii games are the ones where you don't use the wand.