Samus in Ninja Gaiden

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Re: Samus in Ninja Gaiden

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

*there're

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:*there're
*penis

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

HOW DARE A GAME ELABORATE ON IT'S UNIVERSES' ALREADY EXISTING BACKSTORY!

I'M GOING TO GO RAGE ABOUT THIS ON THE FORUMS!

Nintendo's franchises should never deviate or develop, so I can constantly complain about how they never deviate or develop!

Blount

Post by Blount »

My problem with this is that Samus talks as if she's writing a deviantART journal.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Blount wrote:My problem with this is that Samus talks

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I'd love to read whatever fan-fic you've written, Zeta. Preferable with a sassy, oh-so pouty teens who, like, just have too much on their plates and stuff.

And she kisses Cloud Strife. :3

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I like the voice actress, and I think she does the best job anyone could with what she has to work with. But unfortunately, what she has to work with is pretty insipid.

There are just too many western-developed games with competent English writing and acting now. I'm spoiled. I can't tolerate this kind of 2001-era JRPG-style overwritten stilted BS anymore. Good dialogue or no dialogue!

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Is anyone else like me and you just rapidly press A when games do this?

I think this game could possibly be good if they work out this weird gameplay into something manageable, but I cannot just pretend I would be interested in anything story-like that they are going to try to add.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

At least it's better than the first two prime games, where characters had no motivations to speak of. Hell I remember snuffing an injured space pirate in the first 5 minutes of prime, not even knowing why the hell I was doing such a horrible thing. I generally want a good reason before I go about slaughtering gimps.

I for one welcome narrative. As long as it's classy!

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Radrappy wrote:Hell I remember snuffing an injured space pirate in the first 5 minutes of prime, not even knowing why the hell I was doing such a horrible thing.
'Cause they shoot at you?

Really, is 'make it to the deepest depths and blast the cancerous/malevolent mega boss to smithereens' not enough these days?

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

And of course the fact nothing is forcing you to blast gimped pirates. Don't want to kill 'em? Don't.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:
Radrappy wrote:Hell I remember snuffing an injured space pirate in the first 5 minutes of prime, not even knowing why the hell I was doing such a horrible thing.
'Cause they shoot at you?

Really, is 'make it to the deepest depths and blast the cancerous/malevolent mega boss to smithereens' not enough these days?
It's not that I'm demanding what team ninja is delivering . I'm merely saying that I like to know WHY I'm making "it to the deepest depths and blast the cancerous/malevolent mega boss to smithereens' not enough these days?" I don't need any thing that complex. I'm even totally behind the whole "implied" storyline trend. But in Prime there is nothing. The game dumps you in locations, taking for granted that you'll give a rat's ass as to what's going on. Sure the map points me to where I need to go next, usually involving intense backtracking, but I have no motivation what so ever to do so. none. so, fuck man.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Isn't it motivation enough that you are Samus Aran, and you're gonna be the best damn Samus Aran you can be? And don't think you'll get off unjudged--those eyes reflected in the visor? Yeah, they're judging. Judging YOU.

Is Prime lacking in "implied story" more than earlier 2D Metroids? I didn't really play the Prime games, but, I mean, surely there was something, at least along the lines of "you're looking for Metroids and Minibosses, please kill them for us?"

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

who the fuck is samus aran

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Your mom.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Dude, that would be awesome.

Blank
Now Playing: PSO2

Post by Blank »

Good ol' Ma and her deep-fried Chozo. None else can make that tender dish.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Prime's story was almost entirely told through Pirate logs and Chozo lore. Which I found just dandy, as it let me in on as much story as I cared. Of course a lot of people hate the scan visor with a intensity of a thousand suns, but it's not it takes that much time to press the d-pad and lock onto something.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Prime's story was almost entirely told through Pirate logs and Chozo lore. Which I found just dandy, as it let me in on as much story as I cared.
This.

There was voice acting in Prime 3 (and Prime 2? It's been a while, for me). Going through the three Prime games, I think it makes sense to have the next game a bit more story-oriented. Each of those games ramped the story elements up more and more. They just never used FMVs.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Uh, so maybe there is a little truth to the theory that Yoshio Sakamoto's lost a couple marbles. The damn thing was going to be like a rail shooter until Team Ninja talked him down from it, and even then he stayed adamant that the game be controlled with nothing but the remote. If this experiment flops, i'm thinking it likely that will wind up being at least half the reason.

Before Bugman gets emo, I don't think this has graduated to "imminent crash & burn" yet, but Prime 1 was eventually able to shrug off its' impression as "Metroid: The FPS". July is not far off and this needs to do the same in relatively short order.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

It seems to me from the quotes given that it was just "on rails" and we don't really know what that mean, if it really was going to be an on-rails shooter or if it was going to be 2.5D, which is also on rails. The idea of a no-back tracking Metroid is so implausible that I just can't take the accusation seriously. (Unless they were making "Metroid: the Shooting" or something.)

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It seems to me from the quotes given that it was just "on rails" and we don't really know what that mean, if it really was going to be an on-rails shooter or if it was going to be 2.5D, which is also on rails. The idea of a no-back tracking Metroid is so implausible that I just can't take the accusation seriously. (Unless they were making "Metroid: the Shooting" or something.)
The original concept was for the game to be a rail-shooter, like Starfox or House of the Dead.

The current concept is an 2.5D action/platformer where the player can switch to first person 3-D mode to shoot while standing still.

There is no backtracking in the game. The game is basically an action/platformer just like Ninja Gaiden. But in the original concept for the game, you wouldn't even have control of Samus, just her guns.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Where did you read that, Zeta? After reading Sakamoto's comments I thought that by "on a rail" he just meant 2D gameplay, too... and then Team Ninja convinced him to add the ability to move in three dimensions. I mean he said he wanted the game to use the wiimote "NES style", how would that work in a rail shooter?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I mean he said he wanted the game to use the wiimote "NES style", how would that work in a rail shooter?
Tilting it awkwardly, I assume.
Where did you read that, Zeta? After reading Sakamoto's comments I thought that by "on a rail" he just meant 2D gameplay, too... and then Team Ninja convinced him to add the ability to move in three dimensions.
On a rail, in gameplay terms, usually means just that - you have no control over your character's movement, just where they're aiming and what they're shooting at.

I have NEVER heard "rail" in gameplay terms used to refer to 2D perspective.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Yes, but it's a Japanese guy and a vague quote, so it's ripe for misinterpretation. Also, there's plenty of motion besides the gun in Starfox, and in many other "rail" games as well, and there's certainly no reason why a game "on a rail" couldn't have backtracking or branching paths.

All that we really know is that the game is not a rail shooter, and unless we have some really damning evidence (like Japanese use of the term "rail" being exclusively the same as your limited definition) then there's no reason to say that the designer has gone crazy based on that (maybe the business about only firing missiles in the first person view? What is that about?)