Where else do you weirdos go

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Crowbar

Re: Where else do you weirdos go

Post by Crowbar »

What argument? There is no argument.

Myspace was always shit. Facebook is at least useful.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

They're the same thing!

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Sure feels like 2004 in here.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Did Facebook even exist in 2004?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

A PERSONAL APPEAL FROM WIKIPEDIA FOUNDER JIMMY WALES

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I go to Insomnia's forum. You know, that one happy, funny place 'bout gaems. I'm of the select group that's not b&'d, too. (irrelevant e-penis, et cetera)

I also catched on to commenting stuff on YouTube, mainly to discuss local politics/ absurdly polarizing government.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

The only reason you're not banned is because you insist on parroting everything icyclam says everywhere you go.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Robby want a cracker? BERT!

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Guys did you know eyesight and mouthfeel are actual words in the English dictionary! Criminy! What's next, earhear? nosesmell?

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Rob-Bert wrote:The only reason you're not banned is because you insist on parroting everything icyclam says everywhere you go.
Doing so could affect my status on other places, not on his forum, since I'd be "parroting everything icyclam says" somewhere else, not there (because it'd be freakin' redundant, and therefore, oh irony, I'd get banned), not to mention a couple parrots already got the hammer. Plz check your logic circuitry kthx.
Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Guys did you know eyesight and mouthfeel are actual words in the English dictionary! Criminy! What's next, earhear? nosesmell?
LOL. Yet, you don't go around buying eyes and mouths on eye stores and mouth stores and trying them on you so to be able to review, among other features, their eyesight and mouthfeel... yet.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Mouthfeel was only coined around 25 years ago, so it doesn't have much street cred as far as words go, especially compared to eyesight, which has two very specific definitions, the quality of your vision (or even a synonym for vision), and the specific range that a person is able to see, and has been in use for over 800 years, so give it some credit. There's no such word as "Earhear," but that's probably only because it is hard to say compared to "earshot," which seems like good friends with eyesight.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, you plebs.

I'm so unappreciated in my time. Now if you'll excuse me, I wish to retire to my study and play Alien Syndrome.

you can buy eyesight

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Great, now we just need some place where we can buy pure, unadulterated, 100% concentrated gameplay devices so that your funny little analogy can start making some sense...

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

That'd be the device hooked up to your television. Gawd, I feel like a broken record player.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

What, the DVD player? It doesn't have much gameplay, really. Or maybe you could be talking about a game console? Sorry man, those also display graphics and sound, and those are not 100% pure gameplay, they just make it possible.

Now seriously, this comes down to use of language. I checked out both "eyesight" and plain old "sight" over at Dictionary.com, and the results are quite interesting: eyesight meaning "the faculty of sight" is tremendously similar to sight's "power or faculty of seeing". Moreover, eyesight's "range of the eye", as in "to come within eyesight", also shares much common ground with sight's "one's range of vision on some specific occasion", as in "land is in sight". A third meaning, "the act or fact of seeing", is practically identical to "an act, fact, or instance of seeing".

So eyesight is practically as pointless and redundant a word as gameplay is (whose meaning is stated to be "the plot of a computer or video game or the way that it is played", it couldn't possibly get any more ambiguous and useless), only a couple centuries older. Not all old words need be useful, nor do all neologisms need be pointless and redundant.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Isuka wrote: they just make it possible.
Just like glasses!

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:
Isuka wrote: they just make it possible.
Just like eyes (which you cannot buy at stores, put them on and expect them to work properly... yet)!
Fix'd... please bear in mind that eyes are necessary for sight, but an eye by itself is not enough to enable sight.

If anything, a Wii MotionPlus would be more like glasses, if you want to make a game-related analogy.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Wait, even better: a typical patch which mainly addresses a given game's bugs and stuff. It'll usually enhance "gameplay", but it most certainly isn't a completely new game (or eye).

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Might I inquire just what the hell you're accomplishing by going to these lengths to explain all this?

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Dunno. Chatting, perhaps?

I just said what other online places I go, you posted some erroneous reasoning regarding that, I corrected it. It's not all that different from what most of us do on other topics in this very forum, if you think about it.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

I often fantasize about constructing grand and elaborate devices for spraying dog shit all over Alex Kierkegaard. Like, I have this one plan that involves a 20x20 gift box with a ceramic lining- to contain the scent, you see- and there's a water sprinkler hooked up to this canister full of liquefied dog shit, right? He opens the box, bam. Dog shit everywhere. Genius, right? That'd put a smile on his face. Pretty sure the IRS already does this in lieu of his tax returns.

Posting successfully on the Insomnia.ac forums is tantamount to emasculation. It takes a terminal lack of dignity to be able to stomach the sort of bullshit that goes down in a forum (sorry, "community blog" (sorry, icycalm's house)) where people can and have been banned for any number of offenses ranging from banal errors like agreeing, disagreeing, apologizing and reporting too many bugs on the site, right up to the gravest of all transgressions- liking games you're not allowed to like! All's well in the halls of the gaming philosopher king.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Above and beyond all, this:
mostly to do with stuff like semi-colons which no one really uses anyway.
tells me that this "icycalm" person is a complete idiot. Semi-colons are goddamn important!

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I just checked out the aforementioned forum, and the first post I clicked on was icycalm banning someone for apologising in advance after reporting a bug, oh wait, I mean for a "fucking ridiculous tactic". It was the same page that the "ban for reporting too many bugs" occurred, on the grounds that icycalm was too lazy didn't have time to fix them.

I checked out the blog and read a mildly amusing review of a game involving cats in a submarine. Then I tried to read an article about the decline of art criticism, but the first paragraph contained the phrase:
Yet the decline must somehow be justified, for it eventually becomes so blatant that from time to time even the peasants can see it as decline.
And no, the emphasis was not added.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

OK, let's chat some more. And I know this will sound like white knighting/ ass kissing on my part, but I only consider these low attitudes as valid accusations when you start from an erroneous premise or resort to invalid reasoning. Let's see...

As far as I know, no one has been banned for agreeing or disagreeing with anything. They have, however, been banned for either not writing the REASONS for doing so, or for stating completely stupid ones. It's All There In The Posting Guidelines really ("18. I get lots of stupid messages from deadbeats who don't 'entirely agree with everything' I've ever written", et cetera), the only difference is that those guidelines are HEAVILY ENFORCED there, and not just for show*. They may get banned for apologizing when he explicitly says they mustn't reply (I once posted some news about NSMB Wii with a fuckton of useless embedded links, and he told me not to do it again... did I post just to say "I'm sorry"? Fuck no, I just didn't do it again, period) or when they do so without a good reason (he got something I said in the Sonic 2 topic wrong because of poor wording on my part and also dropped some F bombs, then I apologized and tried to convey my message once more, and this time he got it, end of the story).

I haven't seen anyone being banned for reporting too many bugs. You are probably talking of user prankenstein, check out his messages and icycalm's reply to understand the true reason why he got banned. User No. 024 exhaled his last breath there, but icycalm didn't insult him and/or announce his ban later, so he was probably banned for doing something SO stupid (right there in that topic or maybe somewhere else) that icycalm saw it fit to delete the offending message and ban him. It's not the first case of a user account that seems to be banned for no apparent reason, because of this.

Lastly, you can like any game you want. Just don't go around saying it's "a great game" just because you happen to like it, because you are implicitly stating it's just as good if not better than other really good games in the same (sub)genre. For example, it's all right to say you like, say, Radiant Silvergun, as long as you don't throw baseless Treasure hyperbole like "it's the best shooting game EVER", or even "one of the best", without going on a long and hopefully coherent monologue explaining just why is it better than many other Cave/ Raizing/ Psikyo shooting games (or even Treasure's own Gradius V). I think you'll have double chance to avoid the mallet if you say something like "the only shooting game I've played so far is Radiant Silvergun, and I liked it", if that happens to be the case.

And the "peasant" remark... well, many people like Picasso's stuff and Seinfeld, so I agree with him there, lol. Oh, and just FYI, I don't completely agree with everything he says either, it's just that, in those finer points I don't immediately agree, I don't immediately disagree either: the stuff's just way over my head, beyond my grasp, so I just go with what he says until it starts making some sense to me. Many times it doesn't, but other times it does and I end up agreeing 'cause I think his reasoning is sound, that's it.

I won't try to convince you he doesn't act like a prick, 'cause he does. It comes down to priorities: you want to see the prick over the genius, I do the opposite.

* Although I just noticed that user MAXCHAIN has a signature that's more than a single line of text. I won't denounce it to icycalm 'cause I'm no one's fucking informer, but he should look into that.