So who's going to martyr themselves and buy the Shadow game?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

I think I'm going to give Farcry Instincts a try instead.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

James McGeachie wrote:You forgot the most important aspect of the game!

http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/734/734 ... 91342.html

JACKIN' CARZ!
Ok..that was the most ridiculous thing Ive seen in my life.

Sonic games have turned into GTA...you can feel the SEGA of America influence.

ALSO! in Adventure 2, Heroes and now this game There always has to be a halloween inspired level..also American inspired, I swear!

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I rather you guys who are buying Shadow skip it and purchase Dragon Quest VIII instead. Sure it is a different genre than Shadow the Hedgehog, but most likely it will be way more enjoyable than Shadow ever was. I mean if you are going to spend $50 on a game at least spend it on one in which the developers put real effort into it.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I don't think Dragon Quest is going to have a hard time at retail...

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Definitely not. Partly because of the whole forced "dark, mature" tone of the game and partly because it really just doesn't look very good. On top of that there are other much better looking games out about the same time that look more deserving of my money including Mario Kart DS. At a push I may give Shadow a rental just out of curiosity but I doubt I'll even bother doing that.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Aren't you guys even going to rent it and play it before judgement? I know I've fallen arse-over-tit for the whole "angsty shooty post-apoc" theming so I'll buy it, play it and probably wank over the case, but come on...you never know. Maybe it's like Dr Pepper.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Sorry Jman, but there are so many games coming out that I would rather spend my time and money(both for rental and purchase) than Shadow. The atmosphere doesn't interest me. There still seems to be a presence of awful camera and bad level design. I have a feeling that it will feel incomplete developmental-wise just like Sonic Heroes. And if we are going to compare this game to some soft-drink then I would compare it to Pepsi Blue.

Pepsi Blue may look extreme, but when you taste it it ends up being mediocre.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

Haven't posted here in YONKS...

But speaking of buying Sonic games, Sonic Gems. Is that due to come out on the X-Box at all? I'm holding off buying it because, a) I only have one PS2 pad, b) GC pads were not designed with beat 'em ups in mind, and c) last time they put a wedge of new stuff on the X-Box version of Mega collection so I sold my GC version to get it.

As for Shadow, normally I get every Sonic game going out of some religious urge. I've never rented a game, but I might this time. I first saw it way back in a Nintendo magazine and, you just kind-of know with some games, you just wonder how in the heck they're gonna justify this... and then all the stuff about car-jacking an' guns an' stuff and it just kept digging. It's a Sonic game (or is it? Is he in there at all?) so I have to play it, but really don't wanna...

Surely it can't be worse than Heroes. I never even finished that.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

There's probably little to no chance of an Xbox version of Gems and even if there was, it's hugely unlikely it'd have any new content, since there's already a PS2 version (well for everyone outside NA) and I don't see them adding additional content for an Xbox release when there's probably little demand for one.

Not that it matters anyway as the game isn't really worth your money.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Aren't you guys even going to rent it and play it before judgement? I know I've fallen arse-over-tit for the whole "angsty shooty post-apoc" theming so I'll buy it, play it and probably wank over the case, but come on...you never know. Maybe it's like Dr Pepper.

I guess you must've skipped over my post since that's basically the gist of what I will do. When I can rent it/borrow from someone I know is debatable due to my own reasons. Although I'm not in any rush, especially when I got other games I gotta waste money on.
~Neo

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I'd rather get Shining Force Neo.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

James McGeachie wrote:There's probably little to no chance of an Xbox version of Gems and even if there was, it's hugely unlikely it'd have any new content, since there's already a PS2 version (well for everyone outside NA) and I don't see them adding additional content for an Xbox release when there's probably little demand for one.

Not that it matters anyway as the game isn't really worth your money.
Rats.

I've always wanted to give Sonic Fighters a go. I've played the other two to death already, but hey, more gamegear games.

Guess this means I'll have to buy a second joypad... and just when I was planning on getting GTA on X-Box and wrapping the PS2 up for good.

I just hate my PS2 for some reason.... Cheers!

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Double-S- wrote:I'd rather get Shining Force Neo.
I actually heard that it was fun.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

I will be renting it first. As much as I know of the Shadow game, it all still seems very questionable. I do like the sound of some of the features it retains, such as the use of environmental objects, the level chart and the Chaos moves, but still...

In the screenshots, the game looks hideous, but in the videos, it looks... Pretty nice, actually. Same with Sonic Rush when it was first announced. Remember when the first screenshots of Sonic Rush were released, we assumed it was going to be a follow-up on G Sonic. But looking at it in the videos later on, it has caused lots to salivate a rainbow.

As for the level design in Shadow, I cannot say much about that. There are keys lying around the levels that allow you to open secret doors to alternate routes, but what about the rest of the level? In the videos, the player can only follow one given path in each recording. So, yeah, I'll just wait until I actually get to play the levels.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

This game is poop.

Poop I say!

next question

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

QUIT SPOILING THE GAME

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

Yes. We much prefer to find out the game is crap AFTER paying for it. :P

Aw, who am I kidding? I already bought it. Along with DQVIII and Sonic Rush.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

It might be good!

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

No, it'll likely be crap. Less crap than I think some are expecting, but none-the-less, crap. I'm rather interested to see how fan reaction will be on this one; I think it'll exceed expectations. Not enough to make it a good game, but I think this one's gonna stir up quite a bit of shit on the premise that everybody's going to be torn between liking it (because it's better than they thought) and hating it (because it's still a bad game).

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Hey, if you order from Gamestop you <a href="http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?pro ... 0511A">get a free Shadow branded beanie</a>! So that way, you can wear it to school and get your ass kicked for being a nerd <i>and</i> for having bad taste in games.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Squirrelknight wrote:Hey, if you order from Gamestop you <a href="http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?pro ... 0511A">get a free Shadow branded beanie</a>! So that way, you can wear it to school and get your ass kicked for being a nerd <i>and</i> for having bad taste in games.
holy shitcock that just screams street

i think i'm gonna put 5 bux down just to get that amazing work of art

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

*Shrugs* So what if it ends up like Alf shit. We'll just pretend Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog were merely lost episodes of the series, as if the series ended after Sonic Adventure 2, and look forward to Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). Besides, Sonic Rush certainly has something going for it, so let's lean toward that as the definition of modern Sonic instead.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

To me the new Sonic the Hedgehog looks pretty much just like a very very pretty SA1 without the other characters. I'm not saying thats a bad thing, but I could just go and play through Sonic's story on my Dreamcast right now rather than wait.

I think most people agree it looks like a shiny SA1, yes?

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Light Speed wrote:To me the new Sonic the Hedgehog looks pretty much just like a very very pretty SA1 without the other characters. I'm not saying thats a bad thing, but I could just go and play through Sonic's story on my Dreamcast right now rather than wait.

I think most people agree it looks like a shiny SA1, yes?
Admittedly we know next to nothing about the gameplay, and most people seem to think that one level was created soley for the purpose of showing people the graphics/physics, and not gameplay.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

I've still got this tiny shining smidgeon of hope that levels in Sonic the Hedghog will be more like the tech demo and less like the level demonstrated.

I've had my fill of chasms. I believe it was Edgar Allan Poe who once said "I fucking hate bottomless pits". Ah, beutiful stuff.