Could an SatAM/Archie character work in a Sonic game?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

And then you have J. Axer catching heat because he drew Nack (and eventually Sally, as she stole it from Nack) wielding a realistic, (albiet purple) revolver.

Shows how good the editors are at catching that stuff!

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

OH DEAR

I have to agree that Spaz's Sonic X covers are pretty ace, though I have to say I'm pretty found of the 'classic' style covers he did for the achieve series.

I mean it's pretty bizarre seeing SatAM/Archie characters that style, but... somehow he pulls it off and it doesn't look retarded.

WW

Post by WW »

Knuckles certainly looks retarded. =p

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Yeah, but he looks like that on one of the classic images too (I think). I wouldn't pin that on Spaz, as I'm assuming he used those images for reference and only wanted to be accurate...

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Look! It's the Egg-Robo!

And, yeah, Julie-su sucks. Along with half of that stupid echidna civilization. I think what I hated the most were the names. They had such human and pompous names. And the most different names were those that sounded stupid, like Julie-su or Lara-su.

Actually, since there is no Sonic Archie Comics here (we had them for one year and it failed miserably), I only got to read them later after downloading some scans. So I spent, like, 7 years or such believing that Julie-su was a fan character.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I hardly blame you for that, all things considered.
WW wrote:Knuckles certainly looks retarded. =p
Nonsense, he's just chargin' his lazer.

WW

Post by WW »

I dunno, I don't think it translates very well.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

That's because the eyes aren't googly enough and the mouth is half-closed.

This actually reminds me of this one pic from that Sonic Screen Saver collection that showed Knux pointing and laughing at something Sonic did...

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

So close and yet so far.

... and yeah I hate the echidna's names too (and everything else about them). All the females have hyphens in their names, and... that's just annoying. And now I'm suddenly amused by the thought of an echidna named "Sara-Lee".

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Where the hell are his teeth?

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Probably in a glass full of water.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Picked up the SatAM boxset today.

Review Here

CM August

Post by CM August »

You use a lot of terminology that isn't even present in the cartoon. Zone of Silence? King of Acorns? I know you probably didn't notice, but it demonstrates more than ever that Archie does influence people's perception of the show.

I don't even know what you're talking about with the mention of love triangles, there's really no romantic competition to speak of. The talk of emo and melodrama also sound out of place, as emotional moments only cropped up during the occasional robotization or reunion scene, in other words pretty intense moments. But your outlook does make sense since apparently the characters weren't fake enough.

Other than that it was a fine review. My favorite bit was about the DVD features.

I'm not sure if you wanted feedback/discussion or not; if you didn't, I'll delete or edit this post accordingly.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

CM August wrote:You use a lot of terminology that isn't even present in the cartoon. Zone of Silence? King of Acorns? I know you probably didn't notice, but it demonstrates more than ever that Archie does influence people's perception of the show.

I don't even know what you're talking about with the mention of love triangles, there's really no romantic competition to speak of. The talk of emo and melodrama also sound out of place, as emotional moments only cropped up during the occasional robotization or reunion scene, in other words pretty intense moments. But your outlook does make sense since apparently the characters weren't fake enough.

Other than that it was a fine review. My favorite bit was about the DVD features.

I'm not sure if you wanted feedback/discussion or not; if you didn't, I'll delete or edit this post accordingly.
Thanks for the critique. I was hoping for some comments on it, so thanks.

Sorry for the error about the Zone of Silence, I haven't watched all the episodes on the set yet, and I recall an episode inwhich Sonic and Sally tried to rescue her dad from some Zone, and I assumed it was the Zone of Silence.

And there were love triangles. Sonic/Antione/Sally?

Of course, it was more comical here, and nothing like the Geoffrey/Sally/Sonic crap Archie pulled. I guess I still have Archie in my head when reviewing this.

Thanks for the comments!

Vector

Post by Vector »

DBurraki, those look incredible. I'd actually LIKE seeing those versions in a game, even though I don't like SatAM. Not as playables, of course, but perhaps a cameo NPC in an adventure stage or bonus game like in Sonic Spinball. No new characters, and so on, you know.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Of course, no matter how closely Spaz nails the classic Sonic look, Archie still refuses to acknowledge that Sonic had buckles on his shoes prior to Sonic Adventure.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

cjmcray wrote:Of course, it was more comical here, and nothing like the Geoffrey/Sally/Sonic crap Archie pulled.
Correction: Geoffrey/Sally/Sonic/Amy/Mina/Ash/Fiona/Tails/Scourge crap Archie pulled.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Pepperidge wrote:Of course, no matter how closely Spaz nails the classic Sonic look, Archie still refuses to acknowledge that Sonic had buckles on his shoes prior to Sonic Adventure.
Aren't they on the 'out' side of his shoes though? Both those pictures show the 'in' side, where he doesn't have buckles...?
Shadow Hog wrote:
cjmcray wrote:Of course, it was more comical here, and nothing like the Geoffrey/Sally/Sonic crap Archie pulled.
Correction: Geoffrey/Sally/Sonic/Amy/Mina/Ash/Fiona/Tails/Scourge crap Archie pulled.
+Antoine/Evil Antoine (Patches)/Rouge/Locke/Bunnie/ ...

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Sonic the comic online (yes again):

http://www.stconline.co.uk/

Is recommend that you read the “Back issuesâ€￾ (http://www.stconline.co.uk/back) first, or it can get confusing...

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Dr. Zachary? Sounds like Archie...

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

At least he was the only Echidna there besides Knuckles.

Actually, I think they were trying to copy Archie when they thought him up. I think he turned out better then anything they churned out Knuckles-wise.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Incidentally, what's the deal with Finitevus, Archie's own ripoff of Zachary? I've read a few issues, and at most he seems to be just another generic evil Dark Legion guy, except visually different.

I still can't wrap my head around the name. "Dr. Finitevus" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Again, all echidna names suck except Knuckles.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I thought the Kneecapreon/Kneecaps thing was kinda funny.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Black Rook wrote:Incidentally, what's the deal with Finitevus, Archie's own ripoff of Zachary? I've read a few issues, and at most he seems to be just another generic evil Dark Legion guy, except visually different.
Right now he's a means of banding a lot of third-rate villains under one leader. Yeah, I don't know what people see in him either.

Now, in one of the recent issues Finitevus declares to bring back Enerjak. Either this will mean Dimitri can say goodbye to years of character development, or Finitevus will assume the name and identity of Enerjak. I have problems with both directions.