Could an SatAM/Archie character work in a Sonic game?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Yeah, StC had alot of weird stuff man...why are Comic people so weird? they must be pissed at life. Spaz is my only favorite person who has worked on Sonic comics, he even plays the darn games and understands the concepts better.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

cjmcray wrote:Hey, that "forshadowing.jpg" page wasn't that bad. Very nice art.

Too bad the writing is so.. uhm. not good.

Sonic: "Hey Rad red!"

Knuckles: "Yo, "True blue!"

Interesting on how they gave Snively a green version of Eggman's outfit.
I don't see what's wrong with the dialog. Infact, I think dialog is one of Ian's stronger suits. A lot stronger than Penders' was, anyway.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Those particular names for each other were Pender's doing originally anyway, I think.

EDIT: I always liked when Spaz snuck Astal and Ristar on the covers. He did that recently on one of the Sonic X comics, Ristar's skeleton at least.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

DBurraki wrote:Holy shit, styracosaurus/echidna bloodfued? That's a level of 'what' I've yet to encounter.
In context it's not really that weird (I think it was one of the best stories personally). The kohenyu were an "ordinary" (not anthropomorphic or able to talk) race of dinosaurs that the ancient echidnas hunted to extinction. In that page Knuckles is talking to the ghostly spirit of the dead race, or something to that effect.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Opa-Opa wrote:
Shadow Hog wrote:His idea of "furries" is "human being with an animal head for some particular reason".
So... that's like 5 of the artists from Archie.
No, I mean LITERALLY human beings. As in, all flesh, no fur, not even tails IIRC. The only remotely furry part of his art is the head. As a kid it bothered me to no end.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Crazy Penguin wrote:
DBurraki wrote:Holy shit, styracosaurus/echidna bloodfued? That's a level of 'what' I've yet to encounter.
In context it's not really that weird (I think it was one of the best stories personally). The kohenyu were an "ordinary" (not anthropomorphic or able to talk) race of dinosaurs that the ancient echidnas hunted to extinction. In that page Knuckles is talking to the ghostly spirit of the dead race, or something to that effect.
Ah, yes. That sounds more reasonable. All things sound saner in context.

Adamis

Post by Adamis »

DBurraki wrote:I’ve actually drawn a picture at one time of what Sally and Bunnie* may look SEGA-ized.
Your design of Sally is quite nice but, IMO, wrong especially on the head.

Remember she was based on that Ricky squirrel

Official Uekawa sketch for Sonic X

Well, based on that squirrel, these are my ideas of her being in ST style:

http://membres.lycos.fr/adamis07/Dessin ... cteam3.jpg

I may be wrong, or right ;p

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

I know. I considered that when I drew her. However, I also considered that Ricky isn't quite like the 'main' Sonic characters, and is more 'realistic'* then the more stylized main crew. He's more like a 'small animal' then... I'm not sure how to refer to Sonic and such. So I used traits I've seen used on the main-ish characters. Like making the eyemarks like those of Cream to somewhat mimic Sally's actual facial markings.

And while your design of Sally is quite nice but, IMO, wrong especially on the head. :wink:

You gave her actual hair. No Sonic character has actual hair**- just stylized fur, quills, feathers, etc.

<strike>And if you were actually basing your design off Ricky, you wouldn't of given her a bridge on her nose like that, as Ricky lacks it.</strike> EDIT: Never mind, second glance shows you did that for the second one at the bottom :P Still though. Hair.

But yeah. None of this actually matters in the end run anyway, it's all entirely speculative.

*in comparison, that is. Ricky's still a cartoon squirrel.
** I mean that Sega itself has actually made. I await my possible smack down, though.

Adamis

Post by Adamis »

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

:grin: Naaaah, I don't think so. Her daughter Cream has a marking there. So it wouldn't be a big jump to assume that Vanilla has the same marking there, only with the small exception that in that marking area the fur has grown longer, giving the impression of bangs. So, it's still fur, not hair. Now it she had long orange locks of hair going down the back of her head instead of that little clump, then maybe you'd persuade me.

EDIT: I'm suddenly struck by the hilarity of a rabbit wearing lipstick. Lawl, cosmetic research.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Sonic the Comic was about the story, not the art, but it had some decent art, I liked the way they did Sonic with his Adventure look.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Does Honey count? She was a gag character and never officially existed in the Sonic universe, but she did have a full head of hair that wasn't part of the rest of her fur.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

I considered her. She was, as said, a gag character, and designed heavily after Honey from Vipers so... not sure really. But that'd also make her the only exception to what otherwise seems like a rule...

Soul
Now Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online

Post by Soul »

Mmm...okay, so I'm late in the run posting in this thread, but seeing as the subject of this thread does hold my instrest, I'll gladly bite.

Personally, I think the only character that would work in any Sonic title would be Mina Mongoose. Yes, I said 'Mina Mongoose' - let me explain before you guys go bucknuts on me. The reason I say this is because back when she first got introduced into the Archie series, I was pratically blown away by the overall change she had against other characters - mainly the choice of clothes she wore. The combat boots, the matching gaulents, the black tanker-tee and cargo shorts...

She looked like a bonified millitant who wasn't afraid to sock you with a right hook. Ironic to that, she was pretty soft-hearted and was given the talent to sing. So she was more of an Athena Asimya of the comic series...well, she would have been!

Given that, Sonic Team could've easily added her into a game. We already have several 'cliché anime girl' types involved: the boy-crazed ditz (Amy), the flirtatious, busomus crook (Rouge), the peaceful maiden (Tikal), the cute brat (Cream), the distant, serious royalty (Blaze), and the bossy chick (Web/Wave). Mina could be the 'cheerful girl who loves a good brawl'. And, by some miracle it's done right, her levels would be the most fun of all*: find anything that looks like it'll attack you and beat it to High Hell!

Now, about this rule about how all of the females don't excatly have hair and only have extentions of their natural fur to look like hair. Mina wouldn't fit under this rule because she has a head like a purple haze, but you know what...I wouldn't care either way. The crew at Sonic Team has enough creative power to allow it, plus half of the works been done for them anyway on the design. I say just because one feature throws of the looks of the rest of the crew doesn't mean it should be compremised for a great potiental.

Of course, it won't happen...too much red tape and controversery would ensue between Archie & Sega and well, up at this point Mina has been butchered to the point to where anybody would care for her to be in a game. Not even myself, who just spent half his time blabbing away on how possible she could be involved in an official title - playable or not. Such irony, eh?

*Well...fun for ME, anyway. I'm not sure how many people like brawling/beat-em'-up games beyond DMC and such. Feel free to prove me wrong!

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

And... now I'm tempted to draw up a "SEGAized" version of her too. Goddamnit.

EDIT: Also envisioning a really screwed up Sonic/God Hand crossover. And I've never played God Hand.

Lots of emphasis on the 'screwed up' part.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Who is Mina Mongoose again?

I think Antoine fits best. There's a huge lack of french accent in Sonic games lately.

Soul
Now Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online

Post by Soul »

This chick here (the yellow-furred girl who looks like Bark's lost lovechild). Keep in mind this is an early version of her, when she first got introduced. So the artwork's not entirely up to par with the current string of comics out now.:

And a Sonic/God Hand, crossover...? BRILLIANT!! XD Very wacked-out with the flamboyant tones and drug-enduced moments, but damned if I don't buy it!

And DBurraki's serious about the game being 'screwed up', folks. Some of your enemies include Luchadorian gorillias, migitized Power Rangers, and Native Americans in hot pants. And yet, I'm still planning on owning this game.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Sonic's arms are blue in that top panel, I noticed.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Oh yeah. Mina. I read that comic. I remember I actually sighed when I realized they were introducing another furry to the story.

I have God Hand. It actually reminds me a lot of Black Belt, for the Master System (the US version of Hokuto no Ken). It's screwed up alright, but very funny and makes no sense whatsoever.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Shadow Hog wrote:Sonic's arms are blue in that top panel, I noticed.
I don't think a single issue has gone by without that happening to at least one of his arms.

Well, maybe we shouldn't be pointing this out. Archie will somehow find out people have noticed their coloring mistakes and make a half-assed effort to find an in-story explanation for them. Like they're an after-effect of Sonic falling into a chemical vat, or that Sonic exhibiting signs that he, too, is a mutant creating through his father's bioengineering skills in an attempt to create the perfect warrior, and later manifests superpowers.

(the "too" being in reference to Knuckles, and the fact that Ken Penders decided that was a suitable origin for him- along with the dozens of bland and indistinguishable relatives, of course)
Last edited by Black Rook on Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Opa-Opa wrote: I think Antoine fits best.
Except for the fact that he looks like a Talespin reject.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Black Rook wrote:(the "too" being in reference to Knuckles, and the fact that Ken Penders decided that was a suitable origin for him- along with the dozens of bland and indistinguishable relatives, of course)
Oh, and for a second I thought it was referencing <i>Batman Beyond</i>.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Shadow Hog wrote:Oh, and for a second I thought it was referencing <i>Batman Beyond</i>.
Hey, if it didn't happen during the actual series, it never happened at all. That's my stance and I'm sticking to it.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Black Rook wrote:Like they're an after-effect of Sonic falling into a chemical vat, or that Sonic exhibiting signs that he, too, is a mutant creating through his father's bioengineering skills in an attempt to create the perfect warrior, and later manifests superpowers.
Ugh. Sweet jesus I hated that. That's one of the biggest reasons I freaking hated Knuckles as a kid. Hell, I hated the whole Knuckles series as a kid- probably because, ya know, the storylines were overly and stupidly convoluted and difficult to understand/pay attention to at the age I was.

And also I hated/hate Julie-Su. Which is weird, because it seems like everyone else loves her. Well, not here, but other places.

She looks like a man, too. ... I'm too used to how Sonic Team draws female characters, though (short snouts with button noses), so that's probably a big hand in it.

... I believe though, the Knuckles series had the best comic cover of all time. It had this gun on it being shot by this Kraven rip off, right,? And because the CCA (Comic Code Authority, which all Archie comics adhere to, from what I know) doesn't allow guns, they had to go on the cover and put a big "NO" sign over it. You know, like the kind on "NO Smoking" signs? Yeah. Freaking hilarious.

Then again the no guns thing has shown up a couple times. They tried to explain why there weren't any guns with this stupid backstory about an "Overlander" (human) killing Mobian (Furry, talking animal, whatever) Royalty on accident with a gun in the past, and that because of that the Mobian king outlawed any Mobian from using a gun, ever. Primo, seriously.

EDIT: Ristar's skeleton!

WW

Post by WW »

This one's been my favorite comic cover for a while, I hated the Knuckles comics witha passion.