Throwback

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
jenkins

Throwback

Post by jenkins »

What with college apps mostly finished, I've been looking for something to do for the rest of the year, and have settled on playing some classic RPGs. That said,

1) Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for SNES and Genesis in particular.
2) Can you give some sense of rank to your suggestions?

I've already started on Earthbound, FF4, 5, and 6, and Chrono Trigger, so...

VGJustice

Post by VGJustice »

Super Mario RPG. You should play that. And 7th Saga if you like a challenge. And Lufia II.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Why did you start five games at once? Play them one at a time, geez.

Heroic One

Post by Heroic One »

He has this inability to do anything correctly, espicially when it comes to video games. :sad:

Anyways, suggestions for SNES:
Fire Emblem 4
Fire Emblem 5
Kirby Superstar
Terranigma
Super Punch-Out!!

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

Phantasy Star IV for the Mega Drive. If your into your old school stuff (like Dragon Quest) then give the first two a shot as well as the games all link together. The first one's for Master System but you can still play it on a Mega Drive with some sort of peripheral with a dodgy name.

Secret of Mana's also gravy, although you might get frustrated at the chronic lack of save point. It has a sequel too which is also very good but it wasn't released outside of Japan, make sure you give it a bash if your playing by emulation however.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Good ideas all, keep them coming! Any comments for Shining Force or Dragon Quest, by the way? I've heard good things from some of my friends, so I might try them. And where can I get a Master System emulator?

Also, for the record, I'm on Zeromus in FF4, and I'm about halfway through 5, so those won't take much longer. And yes, I've already started Kirby Super Star, I just didn't count it into the whole RPG group.

I doubt save points will be much of a problem; I'll be using save states instead.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Landstalker and definitely both Shining Force games. Also, both Lunar games if you can find them. I think EmuParadise (http://www.emuparadise.org) might have them. The Dragon Quest games are all good, but all comparativley (usually delibrately) archaic in their design, so you'll need some patience.
The first one's for Master System but you can still play it on a Mega Drive with some sort of peripheral with a dodgy name.
The Mega Adapter or Power Base Converter, depending on where you live. It's an official peripheral from Sega, so it should be safe to use.
And where can I get a Master System emulator?
Kega Fusion's the best for features, but annoyingly won't play at native aspect ratio. I myself prefer to use Meka. Speed and accuracy is about the same on both (sound tends to break up occasionally in Meka, but it's only really bad on Game Gear games):

http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega
http://www.smspower.org/meka/

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I'll back up that Landstalker and also add a Crusader of Centy, if you like your Zelda knockoffs. It's got that Sonic cameo too.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

What of Breath of Fire? And is that Secret of Mana sequel Seiken Densetsu 3? I'm somewhat interested in it already, so I'll definitely look into those.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I got bored sick of Breath of Fire and quit early on but Breath of Fire 2 is fairly good from what I recall (which isn't a lot).

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

I loved Breath of Fire 3. All who haven't played it yet should do so immediately.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

G.Silver wrote:I'll back up that Landstalker and also add a Crusader of Centy, if you like your Zelda knockoffs. It's got that Sonic cameo too.
I was gonna suggest that, but I thought I'd be lambasted by purists. After all, it's more action-adventure than RPG.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So's Landstalker. Back in those days we called 'em action-RPG's.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Ritz wrote:I loved Breath of Fire 3. All who haven't played it yet should do so immediately.
Well I'd say both that and 4 are great games, though he was looking for SNES and Genesis/Megadrive specifically so I abstained from mentioning them.

On a related note I liked Dragon Quarter to an extent, but it felt seriously out of place in the franchise.

VGJustice

Post by VGJustice »

Yeah, Dragon Quarter is more like "Breath of Fire Spinoff" than BoF V. I hate it with every fiber of my being, but that's for another time.

BoF 1 and 2 are kinda blah, with 2 having a better overall feel. 3 is likely the best in the series, with 4 making a close second for best vilian.

On Dragon Quest, try 3. That one was pretty awesome. Havn't played many DQ games, but that one is win.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Meka is the best Master system emulator, trust me, I have a real working master system to make comparisons...besides it can also play all the gamegear titles.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I was gonna say Phantasy Star 4 but it's already there. Maybe you should try Wonder Boy in Monster World for the Genesis, it's kinda action-RPG.