Seth MacFarlane's new show: The Flintstones. Yep.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. Watson

Seth MacFarlane's new show: The Flintstones. Yep.

Post by Dr. Watson »

Yep. You heard me.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/yabba-d ... intstones/

I suspect that the fact that The Flintstones has been considered a childrens cartoon for the last 35 years or so (which of course it was not originally intended to be) will mean that McFarlane cant make use of his usual "dead babies with aids"-brand of comedy to quite the same degree as in his other shows. At least, that's what im hoping for.

Man, i wish it were instead Matt Groening and his Futurama crew (in other words, classic Simpsons crew) that got a hold of this franchise. That would have made me interested in watching the show for reasons other than mere morbid curiosity.

Crowbar

Re: Seth MacFarlane's new show: The Flintstones. Yep.

Post by Crowbar »

:/

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Should've gotten Spumco to do it. I hate their reliance on toilet humor, but they're amazing at facial expressions and fluid movements.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I was gonna post this news, but thought I'd be alone in giving a rat's ass.

Objectively, The Flintstones were only good its first few seasons, before Pebbles and having gay ol' times (i.e. broadening the humor for younger audiences), and turned complete, utter garbage around the introduction of The Great Gazoo. It was nevertheless an icon of my nascent years, and it troubles me that Hack McFarlane has gotten a hold of it. He's the Team Ninja of cartoon schlock.
cjmcray wrote:Should've gotten Spumco to do it. I hate their reliance on toilet humor, but they're amazing at facial expressions and fluid movements.
Funny thing is, John K. is a HUGE Flintstones fanatic. And he does have that asymmetrical, organic look that the Flintstones needs.

Really here nor there:

This is part of a major design overhaul of H-B's IP stable got in the '90s(apparently they've been animuu for half a century, desu). I was fortunate to actually see one of the very few airings of Flintstones: On the Rocks.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

MacFarlane came up through Hanna Barbara and supposedly has a real love of the original show. Writing-wise, he may push for a surprisingly faithful take on the original that is largely abortion-joke free. I bet, though, there will be a lot of stone-age parodies of pop culture.

You know, they always get Fred's real current voice actor to voice him whenever he's on Family Guy, which is encouraging... if only because it probably means MacFarlane won't do it himself.

My biggest worry is more about the visuals. I imagine there will be a lot of pressure from above to make it look like other "adult" cartoons -- flat, geometric, even-lined and generally uncartoony -- because that's "what adults like". But I'd really like to see MacFarlane pair up with a great animation director and/or designer like Benedict and Kellman were... a partner who can be responsible for the "look" of the cartoon while he handles the script end.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:I was gonna post this news, but thought I'd be alone in giving a rat's ass.

Objectively, The Flintstones were only good its first few seasons, before Pebbles and having gay ol' times (i.e. broadening the humor for younger audiences), and turned complete, utter garbage around the introduction of The Great Gazoo. It was nevertheless an icon of my nascent years, and it troubles me that Hack McFarlane has gotten a hold of it. He's the Team Ninja of cartoon schlock.
cjmcray wrote:Should've gotten Spumco to do it. I hate their reliance on toilet humor, but they're amazing at facial expressions and fluid movements.
Funny thing is, John K. is a HUGE Flintstones fanatic. And he does have that asymmetrical, organic look that the Flintstones needs.

Really here nor there:

This is part of a major design overhaul of H-B's IP stable got in the '90s(apparently they've been animuu for half a century, desu). I was fortunate to actually see one of the very few airings of Flintstones: On the Rocks.
I loved Flintstones on the Rocks! Wish they'd put it on DVD. =\

I really don't know what to think of all this. On the one hand, Seth is a fan of The Flintstones, so he may try to keep this in line with the original cartoons. However, This is going to air during a block of edgy, "adult" cartoons. A G-rated, Family friendly program wouldn't fit alongside the likes of Family Guy or American Dad. There might be pressure from network execs to try and make it "edgier" than the original cartoon.

I don't think we have to worry about it becoming The Flintstones: Adult Party Cartoon though. WB would never allow the face of Fruity/Coco Pebbles, Flintstones Chewables Vitamins and other childrens products to be on a program where he's cussing up a storm, making racist comments and vulgar sex jokes like Peter Griffin. But I assume It will have a tone similar to Seth's other shows. Cutaways, Poop jokes that were never in the original show, some gay innuendos that go over little kids heads and maybe some violence that pushes the envelope of what is deemed suitable for children. (The only plus side I can see to an "edgier" Flintstones is the possibility of sexy-ing up Wilma and Betty :wink: ) I think the show will be almost crossing the line into "adult cartoon" but never fully going there because it is The Flintstones.

The two things that worry me most is how this show will look. I don't want Fred Flintstone to look like he belongs in Quahog. I want the animation staff to actually try and mimick the look of the original series instead of just shitting out the same style of character designs seen on Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show.

The other thing that worries me is the writing staff involved. If Seth brings some American Dad writers along to this show, then this is going be a trainwreck. American Dad just rehashes the same "jokes" (If you could even consider them jokes) in every episode. "Allusion to gay sex!" "Cocaine! Funny!" "Ha! Aids." "Oh, so that guy's a pedo! Funny!" "Poop joke!" "Oh look, another gay reference! teehee!" "DEAD HOOKER! Man, Seth sure is a comedy genius!" "Pointless violence! Yeah!" How old are the writers of that show anyway? 12?

I think it's safe to say we can expect the usual abundance of Star Wars.. err, Stone Wars parodies seen on any Macfarlane-related project. I just hope we don't get prehistoric versions of Kanye West, Lady Gaga, or Barack.. er, sorry, Barock Obama showing up.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Flinstones was never really funny though. Whether McFarlane tries to be "faithful" with the "writing" is neither here nor there. What was good about it was that it looked good despite being on so much of a lower budget than what HB was used to up till then (for the first couple of seasons, at least).

I wouldn't actually want Spumco to do it either (except for parody purposes, maybe). Actually, I wouldn't want anybody to do it, because something that was only good 50 years ago doesn't need to be dug out of its grave and made worse again in the first place.

[EDIT] Oh, cjmcray echoed some of my thoughts in his own post, somehow I didn't read through all of it before typing.
cjmcray wrote:Barock Obama
You do realise that pun makes it a 100% certainty, right?

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I rewatched On the Rocks on YouTube. It's actually better than I remember it. If you want the definitive experience, I suggest you watch it.

It's legitimately funny, too.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Will it have a laugh track?

I was thinking similarly to Esrever, that Macfarlane would probably come up with a surprisingly un-Family Guy-like take on Flintstones. I'm really interested, I have to admit.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

What is this new thing of people saying "legitimately" when they mean "genuinely"? The words aren't synonyms. I won't have it.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I literally say that all the time.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Pop, you hold him down while I cut out his gizzard.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Popcorn wrote:
What is this new thing of people saying "legitimately" when they mean "genuinely"? The words aren't synonyms. I won't have it.
legitimate
adjective
1 the only form of legitimate gambling: legal, lawful, licit, legalized, authorized, permitted, permissible, allowable, allowed, admissible, sanctioned, approved, licensed, statutory, constitutional; informal legit, street legal. ANTONYMS illegal.
2 the legitimate heir: rightful, lawful, genuine, authentic, real, true, proper, authorized, sanctioned, acknowledged, recognized. ANTONYMS false, fraudulent.
3 legitimate grounds for doubt: valid, sound, well-founded, justifiable, reasonable, sensible, just, fair, bona fide. ANTONYMS illegal.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

- People often say "literally" when technically they actually mean "figuratively"
- Expressions like "the most unlikely" when often you should really be using "the least likely" (there is a difference in emphasis)
- Less/fewer than
- I/me (people literally can't seem to understand this. It figuratively drives me nuts)

Once I learned all of the above, there was no going back. I can't stop myself seeing them everywhere. I hate to imagine the life of a proofreader.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Locit wrote:
Popcorn wrote:
legitimate
adjective
1 the only form of legitimate gambling: legal, lawful, licit, legalized, authorized, permitted, permissible, allowable, allowed, admissible, sanctioned, approved, licensed, statutory, constitutional; informal legit, street legal. ANTONYMS illegal.
2 the legitimate heir: rightful, lawful, genuine, authentic, real, true, proper, authorized, sanctioned, acknowledged, recognized. ANTONYMS false, fraudulent.
3 legitimate grounds for doubt: valid, sound, well-founded, justifiable, reasonable, sensible, just, fair, bona fide. ANTONYMS illegal.
Those are all similar words, but they each have subtly different meanings. Would you really say that "true" is exactly the same word as "acknowledged"? "Genuine" and "legitimate" aren't interchangeable.
le·git·i·mate
–adjective
according to law; lawful: the property's legitimate owner.
in accordance with established rules, principles, or standards.
born in wedlock or of legally married parents: legitimate children.
Saying something is "legitimately funny" is nonsense. It's like saying it's "correctly funny" or "authorised to be funny". Same as when people say "I legitimately think that..." it's like, whoa, what? Who authorised that thought, pal? Let's see your papers.

Of course, language is endlessly fluctuating and this is a losing battle fought by joyless pedants. But allow me my joylessness.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Popcorn wrote:Saying something is "legitimately funny" is nonsense.
Uh, no it isn't. In fact, it's exactly what your second definition describes -- something legitimately funny is something which is in accordance to the accepted standards of comedy. If anything, saying something is "genuinely" funny feels much more arrogant, because humor is subjective, so nothing is truly "genuinely" funny. Saying something is "legitimately" funny doesn't feel quite as arrogant because it's the same as saying it's funny for legitimate reasons -- unwritten rules generally regarded as standards.

I hope this post just made your day a little worse.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I say again: it's like saying something is "correctly funny" or "authorised to be funny". It doesn't simply mean "true" in the way "genuine" does.

You can say (in your opinion, natch) that something is truly or honestly or genuinely funny. You can only say that something is legitimately funny if you're in some kind of argument about the rules and conditions of humour. Honestly, it boggles the mind trying to conceive of some situation where saying that would, er, be legit.

But "I legitimately think..." is the most annoying misuse I see of this. There's no way anyone can tell me that's kosher. I'll ban them.

I'll ban you all.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

You can't ban us. We're too legit to quit.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I sure am glad there are no nerds here!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think it's just an extension of sayings like, "Man, Louis CK is the real deal." It's not like you were actually surprised to discover he was a comedian... you never suspected he was actually plumber who was masquerading as a stand up comedian for tax purposes. You just mean he was funny. No lie... he's legit. Perhaps even TOO legit. (To quit.)

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I'm fine with "legit". That's just slang. Slang's cool, man.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

What about access? Is it too late to be mad about "accessing" things?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Access: denied.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Are you denying my authority?