Super WiiHD3D+ Advance

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

Re: Super WiiHD3D+ Advance

Post by Zeta »

Sorry for the double-post, but I can't edit and have looked at some more translations and the interview and this is what I came away with (I believe this is what Sakurai is implying):

* Both Smash Bros games will be built with the same core engine. They will be differentiated in specific ways.

* Smash Bros 3DS will primarily be an RPG-elements esque single-player action game where characters pick from a pool of smaller characters and level them up through (probably, given the series' history) a third Adventure Mode, gaining customizable things like stats, stickers, and costumes to make your character more unique. It will probably have a PVP and "Free-For-All" mode, but this won't be the focus of the game. Basically, the Adventure Mode from Brawl in 3D with 12 or so multiplayer stages to play on but a more robust level-up system. River City Ransom with Smash Bros. It will have fewer characters and stages but make up for it by making the game feel more "personal".
** If Mii is going to be a playable character, I'm sure this will be the focus of the 3DS version - imagine Emerl from Sonic Battle only as a Mii.

* Smash Bros Wii U will be a strictly multiplayer and AI-based affair that you can readily pick up and play with a much larger cast of characters but no or fewer customization options and little "personal" data like trophies and stickers. Basically the franchise as it was before Brawl.

* You can bring your Mii and 3DS account onto the Wii U version and possibly even play the game with your 3DS.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Re:

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Isuka wrote:bigger than The Duke
It can't be bigger than this can it?

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Re: Re:

Post by Farmer »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:It can't be bigger than this can it?
Is that somebody's hack or could you actually buy that monster in the shops?

Neo

Post by Neo »

Farmer wrote:Is that somebody's hack or could you actually buy that monster in the shops?
Japan only, I think, meant for PSO Episode I&II.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I've got one. It's actually not as awkward to use as it looks.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Some news bits from The Magic Box:
- Nintendo revealed that Wii U will not be backward compatible with GameCube games, which explains the lack of GC controller ports on the Wii U. If you want to play GameCube games you will need to keep your Wii or GameCube.

- IBM announced they will provide Nintendo's Wii U a new Power-based CPU, which will be produced using 45nm technology. AMD also announced that they will supply Wii U a custom Radeon HD GPU.

- Nintendo mentioned that the Wii U touch screen controller will only come bundled with the system and it will not sold on its own.

- Satoru Iwata mentioned to Nekkei that the price of Wii U will be higher than Wii, and after the Wii U is launched, the company will continue to develop for Wii as he does not expect Wii to immediately phase out.

- Shigeru Miyamoto mentioned in Famitsu that he plans to release the next Pikmin title for Wii U. The game was original heading to Wii, but the project has been moved to Wii U due to the system supports HD graphics.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It sounds like the UPad is going to be a secondary thing, with the Wiimotes and Classic Controllers remaining the main inputs. Like the Light Gun or ROB for the NES or whatever. : /

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Nintendo always SAYS they'll keep supporting their old consoles and handhelds, but let's face it... that support is always minimal, and usually completely gone within in the first six months.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Some of those titles are always some of the best (Drill Dozer, anyone), perhaps unfortunately - since they end up overlooked.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Well, backwards compatibility is a very demanding thing to ask of a developer. Keeping support for obsolete hardware and software formats means either sacrificing support for modern equivalents or jacking up the price tag to pay for separate optical drives, operating systems, etc. Personally, I'd prefer it if Nintendo looked to the future.

I suppose that doesn't excuse them from promising to maintain a feature and then failing to take it seriously, but on this particular issue I have a lot of sympathy.

Neo

Post by Neo »

The thing is, Wii hardware is almost the same as Gamecube hardware. The only thing they're winning by dropping compatibility is losing the controller and memory card ports, kinda like they dropped the GBA port on the DSi for space.
Zeta wrote:It sounds like the UPad is going to be a secondary thing, with the Wiimotes and Classic Controllers remaining the main inputs. Like the Light Gun or ROB for the NES or whatever. : /
This is what they've been hinting at. I predict that the system will launch bundled with a single rebranded Wii Remote Plus, a Nunchuk controller and a Wii U pad. Hopefully the pad will be able to stand in for a Classic Controller or Gamecube Controller in Wii games that support it.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

This thing had better be at least slightly more powerful than a Ps3 or Xbox 360. If it's not, then . . . well, I don't see it lasting more than a year because the only third party support they'll get are drawing games or ports of 5-year old PS3 and Xbox games. At best.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Esrever wrote:Nintendo always SAYS they'll keep supporting their old consoles and handhelds, but let's face it... that support is always minimal, and usually completely gone within in the first six months.
I don't know, GameCube sales weren't that high and that may be the reason why their "extended support" was so darn lame, but the Wii has a huge install base, so they may take it more seriously this time.

However, software sales on the Wii ain't that spectacular anymore, and even without the Wii U out the system seems to be going through a dearth of good titles.

So, it could go either way, I guess.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Re:

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Isuka wrote:Some news bits from The Magic Box:

- Nintendo mentioned that the Wii U touch screen controller will only come bundled with the system and it will not sold on its own.
Wow. So only one person gets to play on the thing with its own screen? And if it breaks you'll have to contact Nintendo to get it fixed. Seems like this could cause a lot of problems.
- After the Wii U is launched, the company will continue to develop for Wii as he does not expect Wii to immediately phase out.
They have how many games coming out for the Wii this year? 2 (Zelda and Kirby)? That's not really a lot of continued support. I can't see it getting better in 2012.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I'm annoyed that they skipped so many titles for the Wii, but mainly F-Zero and Star Fox.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

I'd actually like to see F-Zero as a launch title for WiiU. I know it would never happen, but the series has been well-known for its technical quality, particularly from GX/AX, which could lead to a very good show-off of graphics capabilities. The increased emphasis on online play (I assume/hope based on Ubisoft's and EA's comments) could lead to online racing with full or near-full 30-machine lineups.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I'm surprised an F-Zero title wasn't at the 3DS launch.

Neo

Post by Neo »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:Wow. So only one person gets to play on the thing with its own screen? And if it breaks you'll have to contact Nintendo to get it fixed. Seems like this could cause a lot of problems.
Pretty sure you'll be able to order replacements online. It doesn't make sense for stores to stock up on what are essentially only replacement parts.