The DS gazes also into you

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Neo

Re: The DS gazes also into you

Post by Neo »

Green Gibbon! wrote:
I can't see 3D
Wait, what?
I assumed he somehow lost one eye in an accident and didn't exactly want to talk about it so I avoided the issue, but that works too!

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I remember it being said at one point that a pretty sizable chunk of the population can't see 3d for some reason or another. So I'm not sure it guarantees he's missing an eyeball.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Is that a sizable chunk that can't see simulated 3D, or one that has no depth perception in the first place?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Yes, there are a lot of reasons a person could not perceive the "3D" effects. Colorblindness, lack of binocular vision, lack of depth perception, lazy eye, etc.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

It's as if "3D gaming" was a poorly-conceived marketing ploy, or something.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Green Gibbon! wrote:
I can't see 3D
Wait, what?
I can attest to personal experience how important those 6 & under warnings are since I apparently screwed up my eyes at a very young age. I can see out of both eyes just not at the same time.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I want to hear that story.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I do too, actually, if you don't mind sharing.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Hell I don't remember, I was 5. & here I thought the mysteriously sticky DS death part was going to be conversation starter.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I don't want to hear that story.

So to reiterate Stearns' question, do you lack depth perception completely or is it only, like, digital 3D that you can't see? You said both your eyes work but not at the same time, which is a concept I can't quite wrap my head around. I mean how does shit look to you?

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Yeah, I'm actually wondering too. Do you default to one eye when both are open? Is it always the same "dominant" eye?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I'm also trying to ascertain if it's possible that people with otherwise normal vision might not be able to see digital 3D.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

Does the 3D effect work if you wear glasses?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Farmer wrote:Does the 3D effect work if you wear glasses?
It works fine for me and I wear corrective lenses.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

When I was less than 5, I used to let my eye go into a lazy eye state. Being a kid, I didn't realize that I was causing myself to look like a bug, but thought I was just thinking about things a certain way. I didn't know it changed my appearance. At some point it bothered my mom enough that she had me get surgery. I still don't know what procedure that they did, but I can control it better nowadays. It's a good party trick.

It's never affected my ability to see in 3D or let my mind be tricked by 3D illusions though.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Green Gibbon! wrote:So to reiterate Stearns' question, do you lack depth perception completely or is it only, like, digital 3D that you can't see?
Given that I've been living with this condition my whole life, everything looks "normal" because I don't know any other way of seeing. Do I lack depth perception? I'm honestly not sure. But I don't have a problem gauging distances, the further away an object is the smaller it appears. That's not exactly a tricky thing to get used to.

I need to find where I that referral paper to an ophthalmologist. I do want to know if there's anything to be done to correct it.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Depth perception is trickier than just seeing things small in the distance, though. Typically a person without depth perception has more difficulty with things that are closer or in mid-range. I knew someone who lost an eye, and he thought he could see things fine but for a while he had a hard time opening doors because he had difficulty lining up his hand with the doorknob, the relative distance was hard for him to gauge.

I've tried closing one eye for a while to simulate this sort of thing and sure enough, I can totally "miss" picking up objects that look like I should be able to reach them, but I can still pick them up pretty easily if I'm careful (don't try it with knives).

Neo

Post by Neo »

There's a pretty big difference between never having a certain faculty and losing one after years of being used to it. Unconsciously, your brain is relying on both your eyes' input to gauge the distance an object is at, so when you remove one of the eyes from the equation, invariably you're going to trip up because your brain is still trying to do things the way it used to. People who have never had proper depth perception would logically be less or maybe even not affected by it because that's what they worked with their entire life.

:chu:

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Can a person lacking depth-perception properly view an autostereogram?

I personally can, but I can also gauge distances with one eye open just as accurately with both. (I've never seen a 3D movie nor tried the 3DS yet)

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

If you can see an autostereogram, you should be able to see digital 3D. It's the same principle, it basically just does the eye-crossing thing itself so you don't have to.

Backtracking to the Surechigai Plaza - I dragged that sonofabitch through Akiba for a few hours and encountered 10 different people. I got 24 Game Coins from it, though I don't understand how that's calculated...

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

I thought it was 1 Play Coin = 100 Steps in the pedometer, max 10 per day, max 300 saved at a time. But if you got 24 from walking in one day, I have no idea.