Samus in Ninja Gaiden

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Jmo1link

Re: Samus in Ninja Gaiden

Post by Jmo1link »

Delphine wrote:
Popcorn wrote:Other M is sexist bullshit and the gamer reaction to that claim has been nothing short of stunning.
Yikes. It's so sad to see little boys who refuse to acknowledge that sexism exists.
Oh I KNOW it exists, and I happen to be that little boy you speak of. :) Care to explain in high detail how this game is sexist? Can you even conjure up a good enough point? Show me a part where Adam tells Samus that she has to listen because only because she's a women and therefore has to listen to him, you can't. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfxCXXaMggs Watch this video I found for better elaboration then what my bad job of a commentary did, it was my very first and it was not scripted.
Greetings btw.
EDIT: here's a nice pic of Morgan Webb, the reviewer I criticized in the video, talk about hypocrisy.

Blount

Post by Blount »

So, what, you search for people who comment on your videos outside YouTube?

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

I don't think the game is sexist as much as riddled with paternalism and a complete lack of any trace amount of self-awareness. By that, Samus is acting all pansy and subordinate not because she's supposed to portray a fully mature woman, but because she's the lead game designer's perfect little girl and he can make her talk all he wants about how glorious her daddy is.

... by the way, I've heard the reason she was a woman in the original Metroid was because the designers wanted an easter egg for an afterthought and went all "...get this: ...in the end, we show that all along, inside that robot, was ... a woman!! A hot blonde with TITS! OMG" ... but that's a wholly different story.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

(No Imagination) wrote:I don't think the game is sexist as much as riddled with paternalism
That paternalistic attitude stems from sexism. *shrugs* Semantics, but still.
Jmo1link wrote:Oh I KNOW it exists, and I happen to be that little boy you speak of.
lol ok

Jmo1link

Post by Jmo1link »

Blount wrote:So, what, you search for people who comment on your videos outside YouTube?
All it took was one peek at the views chart, it shows where the views come from and how many from sources, including sites that link it. Is that a problem? Not a hard task for someone who has used YT for three years. :wink:
Also I still do want an good explanation as to how this game is sexist, such an outrageous claim requires it to back it up. For those of you that are pissed with the whole Samus getting shocked at the sight of Ridley, she explains how she killed him once and for all, she did not know that he got cloned, that is why she was terrified, she's a human, not a robot... It's just like in Halloween 2(the 2009), when Laurie saw that Micheal was alive and well when she shot him in the head with a Revolver, hence she would assume he was dead. Tell me would any of you feel the same way if you experienced something like that?
Check the video url I linked it you haven't, I now leave the floor to you guys.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

man the internet is a creepy place.

For the record I don't think it was sexism so much as poor writing. I think the whole point was that Adam's very presence, due to their history, is what threw samus completely off kilter. She starts to doubt herself and regress inside. It probably just could have been conveyed a hell of a lot better.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Jmo1link wrote:
Blount wrote:So, what, you search for people who comment on your videos outside YouTube?
All it took was one peek at the views chart, it shows where the views come from and how many from sources, including sites that link it. Is that a problem? Not a hard task for someone who has used YT for three years.
Which is exactly what I said then.

As for Ridley, I don't know how anyone refuses to see that as bad writing. Samus has defeated him at least once in the past (more if you include the Prime games), and he appeared to die when she did. Why is his return suddenly such a shocker? What's more, it now invokes memories from her childhood, which practically implies this is the first time the two of them are battling face to face.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Well, Other M is not a Metroid game, like Sunshine is not a Mario game. If you work at the big N and have an idea for a game, you just have to stuck their brand selling characters no matter what.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Other M (even the subtitle make me cringe) takes place as the second-to-last in the timeline. Meaning she killed him twice, four if you count Prime. He's been resurrected more times than Jesus by that point. And she's not a middle-class highschool babysitter.

Jmo1link

Post by Jmo1link »

Blount wrote:As for Ridley, I don't know how anyone refuses to see that as bad writing. Samus has defeated him at least once in the past (more if you include the Prime games), and he appeared to die when she did. Why is his return suddenly such a shocker? What's more, it now invokes memories from her childhood, which practically implies this is the first time the two of them are battling face to face.
I do believe I gave an explanation for it...
Samus getting shocked at the sight of Ridley, she explains how she killed him once and for all, she did not know that he got cloned, that is why she was terrified, she's a human, not a robot... It's just like in Halloween 2(the 2009), when Laurie saw that Micheal was alive and well when she shot him in the head with a Revolver, hence she would assume he was dead. Tell me would any of you feel the same way if you experienced something like that?
Also at 3:30 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOtMmGwaSGk is where she declared Ridley dead. And take a look at this, that is why she fears him regardless.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

It's her goddamn job to kill monsters, many of which just as fearsome as Ridley. Of course she isn't a robot, but if she can't handle that shit she's in the wrong profession.

You keep bringing up Laurie from Halloween. She's an untrained civilian who had one brush with death. In other words, your classic reluctant hero. She and Samus share nothing in common aside from anatomy. To suggest they'd react the same way in a similar situation is in itself sexist.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

After you've killed your enemy 3 times and he keeps on coming back it stops becoming something to fear and starts just getting annoying.

If Ridley killed by parents and I killed him 3 times, the third meeting wouldn't be "OH god, there's my parent's murderer!" but "What do I have to do to make you stay dead because this was dramatic and satisfying killing you the first 3 times but now it's just getting silly."

Even if you bring the manga up, the first time Samus fought Ridley she feel to pieces. The second time was "Hai, I'm shooting you in the head now, lulz".

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

The fact that an explanation outside the events of the game itself is needed to explain why Samus reacts this way is a perfect example of the game's horrible storytelling. You never get the impression playing the game that she is afraid of Ridley, even after a monster who is obviously closely related to Ridley (if not actually Ridley) pins her to the ground and attacks her in a terrifying manner that kind of resembles rape. The character's arrival is heavily choreographed to get the player excited about fighting an extremely familiar character and for her to react in a way that is so unexpected is completely jarring. It is not the worst idea but it would have made a lot more sense in a game that was set earlier in the series.

The reason the game is called sexist doesn't have anything to do with Ridley, it's her incredibly subservient, approval-seeking relationship with every male character in the game, even though she's supposedly well-known as the most powerful bounty hunter in the Federation (also the only female character who is not an enemy--and what shining beacons of female stereotypes those character are). Even if you say it makes sense in the context of the story provided, it doesn't change the effect that the result has offended people.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Not every story about a woman who is needy, obedient, submissive, insecure, and desperately seeking approval of dudes is automatically sexist. Some people are actually like that!

What makes Other M sexist is that it ascribes these traits to a character who by all logic shouldn't have them: a grizzled, independent long-time bounty hunter who has repeatedly taken down entire Space Pirate forces by herself. Why would Sakamoto look at a character like that and think: "but if we really get into her head, we'll see that deep down she's an frail, emotional, angst-ridden crybaby?" Because he's made an assumption, either consciously or unconsciously: that that's what women are like.

I recently started replaying Metroid Prime 3, trying to wash the bad taste of Other M out of my mouth. Now THIS is how Samus ought to react to Ridley!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK7J8Js7ovk#t=0m22s

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

She reacts to ridley in the same way she reacts to any boss she's ever fought. Great.

It would be nice to see her lose to him every once in a while. He basically gets trashed during every encounter.

Jmo1link

Post by Jmo1link »

Esrever wrote:Not every story about a woman who is needy, obedient, submissive, insecure, and desperately seeking approval of dudes is automatically sexist. Some people are actually like that!

What makes Other M sexist is that it ascribes these traits to a character who by all logic shouldn't have them: a grizzled, independent long-time bounty hunter who has repeatedly taken down entire Space Pirate forces by herself. Why would Sakamoto look at a character like that and think: "but if we really get into her head, we'll see that deep down she's an frail, emotional, angst-ridden crybaby?" Because he's made an assumption, either consciously or unconsciously: that that's what women are like.
Thank you for giving me the best explanation. Also keep in mind, Japanese people aren't known for their equal treatment towards women(which this game is made by), I'm not trying to sound racist. I suppose I can understand now why some folks are offended. Speaking of racist, there's a token black guy(Anthony, also at 7:50 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YNHAinnWLk) whom packs heavy fire power, it would seem I'm the only one that noticed this stereotype. I also find it funny how no one is complaining about sexism in God of War, they placed some women characters whom only serve as sex objects for Kratos.
Thanks for this interesting debate, thinking back on the other Metroid games, I will agreed that this is the black sheep of the franchise(just like Sunshine for Mario), but I still enjoyed more as just an action game then a Metroid game, as we all have our own preferance.
Also I recommend you guys check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbsH5rGqL7o
EDIT:
It would be nice to see her lose to him every once in a while. He basically gets trashed during every encounter.
That is true, the good guys shouldn't always get the edge. XD

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Does anybody know how the Japanese are receiving the game?

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Other M (even the subtitle make me cringe) takes place as the second-to-last in the timeline. Meaning she killed him twice, four if you count Prime. He's been resurrected more times than Jesus by that point. And she's not a middle-class highschool babysitter.
Don't give them ideas, I don't want a game where Samus plays the Super nanny...

But now that I think about it, a cartoon where a nanny has to deal with a baby genius who is a super-villain would rock...

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

Esrever wrote:I recently started replaying Metroid Prime 3, trying to wash the bad taste of Other M out of my mouth. Now THIS is how Samus ought to react to Ridley!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK7J8Js7ovk#t=0m22s
That fight was so cool. Really tense and memorable. :) Also, I agree: That's the correct reaction.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Yeah, that was always one of my favorite boss fights too.

While my opinions on Other M are similiar to many others on here (the gameplay is good, but the writing could have been better), I wouldn't really call it sexist, even considering Japanese social standards. To me, sexist is "oh, she's a woman, she won't be able to handle the stress, now go make me a sammich", not "she's feeling uncomfortable by suddenly being reunited and working together with someone she saw as a role model yet left on bad terms". Nobody on the team really seems to doubt her abilities, gender or otherwise--hell, Anthony seems supportive of her (judging from the scene in the beginning with the locked door). If people are calling it sexist from the (maybe two) times Federation officials treat her like an outsider, it was because, well, she technically DOES work outside the normal jurisdictions of the Federation, despite what (all of) the games might convey, and therefore is officially not privy to anything the military might consider "classified information".

Again, the writing could--nay, SHOULD have handled this better, but...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It's kind of ironic considering Adam Malkovich's one major character trait before this mess was gigantic respect towards women . . .

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Yami CJMErl wrote:I wouldn't really call it sexist, even considering Japanese social standards.
Why are you even bringing this up. Sexism as a concept exists separately from Japan's take on women's role in society. (Not that there actually is one, because plastering that on the country's entire populace would be about as accurate as throwing around the phrase "American social standards.") And yes, Other M is sexist. Go read gsilv and Esrever's posts. They have it exactly right. But Team Ninja isn't Japan, and neither are its game developers.

You may go about your bitching now.

Jmo1link

Post by Jmo1link »

Locit wrote:You may go about your bitching now.
Who's bitching?
Here's a video for all of you who posted here to see.
Game Overthinker - Metroid Other M Video Link

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Esrever wrote:Because he's made an assumption, either consciously or unconsciously: that that's what women are like.
This is also a pretty lofty assumption. Especially since neither of the other female characters in the story are anything like how Samus is characterized. I still feel like you guys are jumping the gun here and its probably because you're all pissed that Samus isn't exactly what you've always imagined her to be.
Jmo1link wrote:Here's a video for all of you who posted here to see.
Linking to other people's arguments is not how you win arguments.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

G.Silver wrote: The reason the game is called sexist doesn't have anything to do with Ridley, it's her incredibly subservient, approval-seeking relationship with every male character in the game
She only seeks approval(if you want to call it that) from Adam, her established father figure. I can't recall a single moment when she pines for the approval of another male character.
even though she's supposedly well-known as the most powerful bounty hunter in the Federation
This has nothing to do with her personality. All this stuff about her being gritty and a cold bad ass is inferred.