The greatest collectible of all time.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Svandel

The greatest collectible of all time.

Post by Svandel »

Just figured some of you might find this article interesting: http://www.significant-bits.com/the-gre ... f-all-time

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Re: The greatest collectible of all time.

Post by Segaholic2 »

Is this your own article or something?

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

It is something.

Svandel

Post by Svandel »

Yup, I did write it, so I really wanted to see what Sonic fans would think of it.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Sonic fans? At The GHZ?

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

An interesting way to look at it. I've never considered how many uses the things have as compared to other collectibles. They also speed you up in Advance 2, heal Tails's and Eggman's walkers, earn you attacks in 2 player in SA2, let you use your special move in the Drift games, serve as currency, pathways you can light dash on, keys to open gates in Sonic R, and produce lengthy dissertations on theoretical physics.

On a related note, I've been replaying SA2 this last week because I suddenly realized that there are two whole side quests I've never done: finding all the small animals and getting all the rings in each stage. SA2 is the only game that gives you the option of getting your A rank by exploration and careful platforming as opposed to time, tricks, and enemies. It's also the only Sonic game to feature such optional yet fully intentional missions. It's kind of like playing a brand new game. The levels themselves are familiar, but I'm seeing a totally different aspect of their design.

Anyway, aside from pointing out these overlooked features, I was wondering if anyone could help me with the rings. I'm missing 3 rings in Wild Canyon and I've been up and down the whole thing with a lightning shield and the sunglasses, so there must be a secret area or something I'm missing. I've been to the one where you get the mystic melody, where the chao is, and where the second emerald piece in hard mode is. Anyone know of another? I'm also missing 16 in Green Forest (8 in hard mode), and I'm getting all the rings in the GC version. And 2 in Pumpkin Hill and 10 in Aquatic Mine. It's turning out to be less fun than I thought it would.

Neo

Post by Neo »

You're a cheater. Super Sonic isn't supposed to be available for the final boss.

Frieza: I'm likely just making shit up, but why do I remember something about a hidden ring right at the start of Green Forest? Try bringing a magnetic barrier over there.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

I tried to nab every ring in Green Hill 3D a few times, even carefully worked out the route you had to take to make it possible, and always missed one in the end. All I remember hearing about that one ring is it's stupidly well-stashed...like in a tree or something obscure.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

I could never see myself doing this, sounds totally unenjoyable. Only level I did it in was Metal Harbour.

Svandel

Post by Svandel »

I was vaguely aware of the rings' other uses in the newer Sonic games, but I decided to only refer to the Genesis ones in my post. While some of the Sonic sequels have been enjoyable, I don't know them as well, and I generally consider the series' prime to be the 16-bit days.

And yes, I totally cheated for that one screenshot of Super Sonic fighting the last boss in Sonic 2 -- I was wondering if someone would notice that!

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Neo wrote:Super Sonic isn't supposed to be available for the final boss.
What's sad is how long the reigning philosophy has been the exact opposite of this statement.

Neo

Post by Neo »

FlashTHD wrote:I tried to nab every ring in Green Hill 3D a few times, even carefully worked out the route you had to take to make it possible, and always missed one in the end. All I remember hearing about that one ring is it's stupidly well-stashed...like in a tree or something obscure.
It's beneath the ground at the start of the level. You need to hike all the way to the S pipes, get the magnetic barrier, and then somehow make it back, which I think is only possible by glitches. Essentially, you're not supposed to get it.
Svandel wrote:And yes, I totally cheated for that one screenshot of Super Sonic fighting the last boss in Sonic 2 -- I was wondering if someone would notice that!
Really? You thought nobody would notice the 081B016C 074000C8?

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Neo wrote:It's beneath the ground at the start of the level. You need to hike all the way to the S pipes, get the magnetic barrier, and then somehow make it back, which I think is only possible by glitches. Essentially, you're not supposed to get it.
I don't remember how, but I didn't need a glitch to get back. I might've just spin-dashed back up the pipe.

Neo

Post by Neo »

The game doesn't let you do that -- it purposedly puts dash pads in the exits so you don't get close enough to it again, and if you do, trying to squeeze back in just causes you to be popped out off to the side and to your doom. Not sure how you managed to do it.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Wait, why's there an extra ring?

Neo

Post by Neo »

Artistic license? A mishap in object placement? To fuck with you? You decide!

I didn't know of it as well until I decided to check out an all rings run over at Sonic Center. Boy, did I feel silly!

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

You mean in the video of Green Forest? In SA2B they removed all the in-level appearances of Big the Cat and replaced half of them with a lonely ring, which wasn't factored into the level total. If you mean the hidden ring in GHZ, it isn't extra. You need it to get a perfect.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Has anyone here ever known a person to have mistaken rings for coins? I used to know a couple of vision-impaired individuals who would always call them coins, despite me correcting them several times before.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

God yes, but then again, I do keep some slow-witted company.

Blount

Post by Blount »

I too have known several people like that. But hey, at least they didn't mistake them for yellow fairies.

You forgot to mention one thing in your article - rings are yummy.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Frieza2000 wrote:In SA2B they removed all the in-level appearances of Big the Cat and replaced half of them with a lonely ring, which wasn't factored into the level total.
This is one reason I'll hold on to the Dreamcast version of SA2. Why did they make the conscious effort to remove such charming easter eggs? Video games should have more fun but useless stuff like that.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

They also removed Opa-opa and Eggrobo from the racing mini-game.

They are just dumb, I guess.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Egg Robo was in SA2B as an unlockable. Don't recall Opa-Opa.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Egg Robo was in SA2B as an unlockable. Don't recall Opa-Opa.
They're both hidden karts.
Kogen wrote:They are just dumb, I guess.
Brb, i'll be laughing in the other room...

Neo

Post by Neo »

Both Sonic's kart from The High Speed Trial and Egg Robo were in SA2 Battle along with brand new karts for Knuckles, Shadow and Eggman, as well as a Chao kart. The Omochao Opa-Opa kart is nowhere to be seen.

None of the three downloadable tracks are in the game, though. THAT's dumb.