Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

The only thing I really disliked about Chip was the change of his attitude after his revelation. I was used to him being like a scatterbrained, comical and sometimes-tedious little kid. And then, all of the sudden, he's all monotone and serious about his duties and everything. It really isn't anything that detracts from the story too much, but Chip's English voice is more suited to being whimsical and childish.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

CM August wrote:And sad as it is, I find Chip had the most 'fresh' Sonic character design in ages. Finally something that doesn't look like it spawned from the basic Sonic/Tails/Knuckles template.
Yep. Instead he reminds me of this:
with fairy wings. :p

The best thing about Chip is despite being lame, he's a one-shot character, which is more than I can say for most of the rest of the cast in this franchise.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

It really sucks that, ever since he got "character development" in SA1 Tails has pretty much just been shunted aside in terms of personality or any defined role. He just sticks around because he should.

Knuckles is the same way (what was he even DOING THERE in Rush?)

Wombatwarlord777

Crowbar wrote:
It really sucks that, ever since he got "character development" in SA1 Tails has pretty much just been shunted aside in terms of personality or any defined role. He just sticks around because he should.
I have to disagree. I quite enjoyed Tail's story in SA1 precisely because of the segment where he realizes he cannot rely on Sonic's assistance anymore and thus sheds his usual "sidekick" designation (although it was admittedly a little shallow). And there was a similar point in SA2 where Tails is forced to go it alone after Sonic is jetisoned into space. Where the real trouble began was Sonic Heroes, where Tails was Sonic's childish flying sidekick, and nothing more. The same goes for Knuckles.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Where the real trouble began was Sonic Heroes, where Tails was Sonic's childish flying sidekick, and nothing more.
Why does everyone wants tails to be a man? hes a 8 year old kid and always will be (unless ST goes crazy again), the point is he has become shallow, useless (unless you count his too extreme Eggman-like machines), boring, slow and he sucks now.

I miss the Tails that kicked ass, not this nerd slob who does nothing but sit all day, and dont get me started on Knuckles.

Bottom line, everything sucks! the end.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I liked the Tails I could turn off in the option menu so he wouldn't annoy me.
Even though I admit in the OVA he really was rather cute and charming. But everywhere else, no.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:
Crowbar wrote:
I have to disagree. I quite enjoyed Tail's story in SA1 precisely because of the segment where he realizes he cannot rely on Sonic's assistance anymore and thus sheds his usual "sidekick" designation (although it was admittedly a little shallow). And there was a similar point in SA2 where Tails is forced to go it alone after Sonic is jetisoned into space. Where the real trouble began was Sonic Heroes, where Tails was Sonic's childish flying sidekick, and nothing more. The same goes for Knuckles.
Well, yeah, that's what I meant. In fact Sonic Heroes is exactly where I would say it really started to show. I maintain that the start of the problem was SA1, even though what Sonic Team did with them in that wasn't in itself bad, they just didn't know what to do with the characters afterwards. It just didn't become apparent until Heroes.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Many years ago, before I first heard Tails speak (which was in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog), I used to think he'd have a voice similar to Chip's English one. Thinking about it now, I have no idea how that would have suited him, but that's mostly because I'm used to him sounding like a girl now.

Visually, I like the Tails from Sonic Chaos the best. I think his color there is actually better than the old orange tone he used to have, and definitely a lot better than that bright yellow he currently has. That's why I love this:

Incidentally, the moment his plane is shot down by a laser in Unleashed reminds of Sonic 2, except back then he actually managed to get it back in the air before the game ended. It's like they forgot all about him until the credits.

Wombatwarlord777

Dasher wrote:
<Tails is> a 8 year old kid and always will be (unless ST goes crazy again)
Hmmm... After reading this, I'll admit I'm torn on how Tails should be characterized... On one hand, we have Sonic's faithful young sidekick from the earlier games, and on the other hand, we have a technical genius who's largely independent of Sonic (especially in Chronicles) and more emotionally mature than Eggman. I can't really say I prefer the latter, but that's mostly due to anti-Sonic-X bias...

I suppose my personal ideal would be the sidekick incarnation, albeit one who can show his own extraordinary talent and courage without the guidence of Sonic. The Adventure games capture this particular description of Tails the best.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Unless you're playing Sonic 2 or S3&K as Tails, in which case he doesn't yell "SONIC!" every time he dies. Not that the games had voice acting back then, but that's exactly my point. He was much more tolerable when he was silent, not to mention you could play as him for the entire game and take on Sonic's role.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Blount wrote:Unless you're playing Sonic 2 or S3&K as Tails, in which case he doesn't yell "SONIC!" every time he dies. Not that the games had voice acting back then, but that's exactly my point. He was much more tolerable when he was silent, not to mention you could play as him for the entire game and take on Sonic's role.
That's just it. Tails is one of the few kid characters that became "cool" because when he was a silent sprite, no one (except us manual-reading nerds) knew his age, and since he was a cartoon animal, no one really had to care.
Wombatwarlord777 wrote:Hmmm... After reading this, I'll admit I'm torn on how Tails should be characterized [...] I suppose my personal ideal would be the sidekick incarnation, albeit one who can show his own extraordinary talent and courage without the guidence of Sonic. The Adventure games capture this particular description of Tails the best.
I'd agree with that. I never liked how they portrayed Tails, but considering that upon SA1, they had to bring five characters from 16-bit sprites to 3D models with voices, motivations and personalities, Tails is really the only one they dropped the ball on, and it's because he's a really tough one to portray in a way that betrays neither his practicality nor his age. And don't forget that the VA also has to pull off that young without being annoying (and that they have employed children for that role, which is just asking for a disaster).

Knuckles is another matter. They made him too involved and too chummy with Sonic. In order to get the temperamental hothead effect they had when he was pissy towards the other protagonists, they just made him the dumbass muscle of the group. There's a single mistake they've made here (although his 4Kids VA is probably the worst aural offender of the batch) and they just refuse to correct it.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I don't know, All Tails VA's have never annoyed me at all (except the OVA one *shivers*) And my favorite was the Sonic Heroes one as he sounded how I wished he would've all those years.

Although Tails is supposed to sound like a boy, his current VA sounds too girly, but what could you expect from 4kids? still, is not as bad as Sonic's or Knuckles' *shivers*

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

The big problem here is that I guess they thought that after SA1 Tails decided to be a full time mecha engineer, thus making him lame and stuff, And Knuckles just doesn't make any sense anymore..except maybe Chronicles which I haven't bothered to play.

*sorry for double post*

CM August

Post by CM August »

DackAttac wrote: And don't forget that the VA also has to pull off that young without being annoying (and that they have employed children for that role, which is just asking for a disaster).
I think Tails' AoSTH voice is pretty much the sweetest thing ever. SatAM Tails' voice was right up there too. Both of them were voiced by young children.

Not to say their particular portrayals of the character are best suited to Sega's Braniac Tails (with the gadgets and the fake emeralds and the transforming vehicles, ga-hey!), I'm just sayin'.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I did really enjoy that part of Sonic X season 3 where Sonic and Knuckles are fighting over an Emerald, and Cosmo is upset and implores the others to stop them, but they're all blasé about it because it's just how they sort out their problems. Given the direction they've taken the franchise (LOADS OF FUCKING CHARACTERS) they should really build it around charming little moments like that.

Even so, that's actually still a million miles away from what little personality was implied for Knuckles in S3&K, which was that of a devious, cackling trickster.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Crowbar wrote:Even so, that's actually still a million miles away from what little personality was implied for Knuckles in S3&K, which was that of a devious, cackling trickster.
Maybe in Sonic 3, but I felt the ending stretch of Sonic and Knuckles revealed a sober nobility. The determination he showed in crawling onward after Eggman shocked him (and then, if you do that trick, signaling Sonic to ignore his condition and go on without him) suggests a strong sense of duty, anyway.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Crowbar wrote:Knuckles is the same way (what was he even DOING THERE in Rush?)
Knuckles still does stuff:

Also about Tails: I thought they made him better since the Heroes/Shadow games. Personally I thought the entire series went into childishness at that time and they did all the characters wrong (except Eggman). In some of the new games I have played he seems fine, but they oddly give him stupid roles. Like why does Tails run all the shops now? Does he need to be an independant business owner to prove himself?

Tails' voice actor also quit awhile ago, so the new games should have a new one (depends on how long ago they recorded stuff).

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Those Knuckles Comics are the best thing since...well, Knuckles!

Wombatwarlord777

As long as we're on the topic of character development, I'd love to see Amy return to a pivotal role in a game (similar to SA1), where she isn't just the damsal in distress. Perhaps in a hypothetical future Sonic game, she could be imprisoned in Eggman's base, escape, and weaken the defenses of the base so Sonic can get into the interior alive. Honestly, Amy was a nice alternative to Sonic's high-speed gameplay in SA1. I'd love to see her game refined to be even more graceful and tightly-controled. She'd be perfect for infiltration side missions.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

How about Fleetway-style dykey Amy? There's a part of me that thinks that would actually be pretty cool.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

I only ever liked Amy in Sonic Adventure as playable; so for a real sequel to that, I think it would be good. I enjoyed the more technical platforming and running from the robot thing, but the way she moved was too awkward.

Damsal in distress is kind of why she exists, though.

Wombatwarlord777

Sometimes I think that Sega got Amy's personality in SA1 wrong. I hate how she's only a rather one-dimensional psychopath who's only will for living is Sonic. Instead, I think Amy would be more interesting if she were more tom-boyish, atheletic and egdy, instead of just filling the "damsal in distress" role. I've never read the Fleetway comics, but from what I understand, that version of Amy is much less Sonic-centric that the in-game universe version. That's the Amy I'd like to see.

Eh, but it won't happen.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

In Sonic CD she was made for Sonic to rescue and was obsessed in him. That is what she is.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I guess, given that, it was just a mistake for them to try to given her or any of the characters depth in the first place.

Who'd've thought?!?!

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Kogen wrote:In Sonic CD she was made for Sonic to rescue and was obsessed in him. That is what she is.
And back then it was cute and novel for sonic to have a fanclub in the first place. How times have changed.