Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Ritz »

Neo wrote:Also Kogen and Ritz love eachother
Where are you even getting this from? Not once have I made a direct reply to any of Kogen's posts in this thread, nor have I stated any opinions which weren't entirely my own. It's like you're jealous or something.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Ritz wrote:
Neo wrote:Also Kogen and Ritz love eachother
Where are you even getting this from? Not once have I made a direct reply to any of Kogen's posts in this thread, nor have I stated any opinions which weren't entirely my own. It's like you're jealous or something.
I love you and I want to insert my tongue into your lobes.

And to stay on topic: it is impossible to complete all the town missions in this game. A bug occurs with the quiz lady and she does not reappear to let you finish her quests. Apparently you get a reward for doing them all, too; but not now!

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Which version?

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

One thing I wish they did was put the homing attack still as the "A" button while still having the boost button be "X." that way it could make some of the jumps in chun nan day easier and it would have made so I would never boost 3000 ft past an enemy if I missed the homing attack. Also sonic can't turn well at all in the 3d parts but it's surprising he turns worse in the 2d parts.

Also I got the soundtrack and I really hope it wins an award for music instead a game like guitar hero with their fucking licensed soundtracks. I mean yeah, I know I like the Red Hot Chile Peppers but a game soundtrack should win with music composed originally for the game.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Majestic Joey wrote:Also I got the soundtrack and I really hope it wins an award for music
If there's any press awards this game will be winning, it won't be those.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Shadow Hog wrote:Which version?
360 one.

Also the music is not really that good for a Sonic soundtrack. Like yes, it is good overall, but it is not as good as the other main series games. It is about the same quality as 06.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Concerning that Official Playstation Magazine: UK article, it's distressing that the only apparent reason they gave Sonic Unleashed such a low score was due to Chip's character design. There's a lot to criticize about the game, but the main focus of any videogame review ought to be gameplay, not blasted character design, of all things...

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

chip wasn't a horrible character, I found him tolerable and sometimes funny. I thought his voice wasn't bad but I only played the game with the japanese voices. the only thing wrong with chip is that he is fucking ugly. But his actual character is not that bad.

And also, rooftop run day is like the best bgm I've ever heard.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

I didn't think chip was that bad for the most part, though there were certainly timed I related to Yahtzee's assessment of "like Navi from Ocarina of time with a cheese grater taped to her face."

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Chip is only annoying at the end when it tries to be emotional. Not sure how they can reduce the score just for that.

His only other fault was he was pointless and died, so another one-shot character for no reason. Maybe fans will complain about him and we will get a Chip game about cakes.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Kogen wrote:Chip is only annoying at the end when it tries to be emotional. Not sure how they can reduce the score just for that.

His only other fault was he was pointless and died, so another one-shot character for no reason. Maybe fans will complain about him and we will get a Chip game about cakes.
a cooking mama game staring chip? sweet! chao cake!

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I was thinking Portal: Now Starring Chip, but sure, why not.

Wombatwarlord777

I really didn't care much about Chip myself. I'm just glad that he wasn't constantly jabbering away like Omochao or your team mates in Sonic Heroes. The Light Gaia Collosus was certainly an interesting development, though.

Who else would play a game called Grand Theft Auto: Chip 'n' the Crips?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Majestic Joey wrote:I thought his voice wasn't bad but I only played the game with the japanese voices.
Holy god, man. In spite of them using Silver's VA, english dub Chip is significantly less high-pitched and grating. (In return, Griffith's Sonic is a little more annoying, but is it me or did Kanemaru just phone it in on the stage voice clips?)

Chip, i'm pretty sure, didn't die. But he's in Tikal's camp of one-shots alright.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

My problem with chips english voice is that sounds really whiny and wimpy even tough he does not sound as high pitch. And I must have become sensitized to high pitched voices from anime (japanese and english dubs) that it doesn't really bother me anymore.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

My main problem with Chip is he's like Chris in how he's a sidekick and simultaneously utterly useless. That and the over-the-top attempt at cuteness, and the "goddamn he sure does love food" bit got really old really fast.

Mind you, they've done worse, but if you're going to pick the worst game character of the year, Chip really is kind of an obvious shoe-in.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Cutscenes really are unskippable on the PS2 version? I assume that means the Wii one as well. It's not just some ludicrously obscure method of skipping cutscenes, like having to press Start five times in a row?

Press Start 5 times, what the hell was up with that? If the creators were so determined to have people watch their embarrassing attempts at cartoon comedy, why include an option to skip it at all? Either make it easy or make it impossible, but dear god pick the former. There hasn't been a justifiable reason to make cutscenes unskippable in like twenty years.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

You guys are forgetting, Sonic is all about the story.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Oh yes, of course. Hey, remember that one 15 second cutscene in Sonic 1 right before the credits? Wasn't that great?

Wombatwarlord777

It sure was. I just wonder what's up with those pink glowing flowers that appear if you collect all the emeralds.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

DackAttac wrote:Mind you, they've done worse, but if you're going to pick the worst game character of the year, Chip really is kind of an obvious shoe-in.
It killed me when Sonic would do something cool and Chip would show up a second later and do the same pose/action/whatever, ruining everything. It just sucked all the cool right out of a scene, really.

Wombatwarlord777

Well, at least Chip was funny in the Eggmanland opening scene, imitating the Eggman statue.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Locit wrote:It killed me when Sonic would do something cool and Chip would show up a second later and do the same pose/action/whatever, ruining everything. It just sucked all the cool right out of a scene, really.
I thought those bits were pretty funny, possibly because most of Sonic's 'coolness' feels pretty empty in my eyes. It was also reminiscent of the Sonic OVA, with Tails being the one mimicking Sonic's actions all cute-like.

And sad as it is, I find Chip had the most 'fresh' Sonic character design in ages. Finally something that doesn't look like it spawned from the basic Sonic/Tails/Knuckles template. In fact it was closer to the cute little animal buddies of old.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

You said it, we need Less Chip/Chris and need more Tails.

But yeah, I thought Chip as a flying Ricky or pocky, not as an actual character, Specially in Japanese. The English one is not cute at all.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Tails cannot turn into a giant Power Ranger zord, though. We need that for epic monster fights at the end that no one likes.