Fictional D-pads

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Neo

Fictional D-pads

Post by Neo »

So I still suck at determining this, for reasons unknown. (Is it because we have lists with over 10 times the number of entries we used to have at say, Zophar's Domain in the late 90s/early 2000s? Even then there was DGen, KGen, BGen, XGen, and god knows what the fuck Gen.)

I'd like to know what are all people's choices concerning emulators for all the post-crash mainstream videogame consoles. My guess is that by this I mean the NES, the Master System, the Game Gear, the SNES, the Mega Drive, the Mega CD, the 32X, the Super/Game Boy/Color, the Sega Saturn, the Playstation, the Nintendo 64, the Game Boy Advance, the Dreamcast, the DS and maybe so far as the PSP? I'm not even gonna go any farther than that simply for the fear that my measly excuse for a computer might explode under the collossal requirements for HUEG GRAPHIX.

So far I've at long last made the smart decision of using Kega Fusion for all my Mega Drive/Mega CD/32X/Master System/Game Gear needs, but that still leaves a whole bunch of stuff untouched. I use zSNES for the SNES and ePSXe for the Playstation because I think those are the "best" ones out there? I also use Project64 for the Nintendo 64 because a friend of mine told me to, but I can't stop feeling weird by having to mess with so many plugins and options and shit. Is there really no Nintendo 64 emulator that isn't a bitch to set up properly? I've also heard of another emulator, Mupen64, anyone know how that shapes up in comparison? Is it worse, better?

Then we have the Game Boy Advance. I use VisualBoyAdvance. And I hate it. Instead of dropping like, 10 frames out of 60 when your computer can't handle all the shit going on, it plays 10 frames out of 60 for some god damned reason. I know my machine isn't really all that fancy, but i've tried playing some games on no$gba and they play fine! But then the sound emulation sucks on that emulator for some reason!

Speaking of no$gba, it's what I use for DS emulation. I know it sucks, but I honestly don't know if anything else sucks less and quite honestly I wouldn't even know where to start looking. Nocash doesn't do special video effects like fog and translucency, but it surprisingly does run the games. I can't believe I actually get decent speeds playing Sonic Rush! On a related note, is there any emulator out there that features an "on its side" mode? Because I don't see how we're supposed to play Hotel Dusk otherwise. I've had friends told me to flip my display 90 degrees and tilt my mouse horizontally and go with that, but that is just plain old poppycock, fine sirs.

I'm going to skip the remaining Game Boys because I can only assume every worthwhile GBA emulator already has Game Boy support built in.

About the NES, I'll be blunt. I have no idea. I also have no idea why zSNES doesn't support it either. Was Sega the only one to recycle half their hardware back then?

I also have no clue where to turn to for Dreamcast emulation. I've heard of an emulator, Chankast or something, is it any good? Is there anything good? Is there anything with a decent compatibility list? Last time I checked Dreamcast emulators were just then running the BIOS, so you can see how far I've fallen behind.

Speaking of behind, is Saturn emulation still as bad as it used to be? It can't, right? I've heard of people playing Sonic Jam and Panzer Dragoon Saga and Radiant Silvergun and such. So what's a good emulator? I've heard of lots of them, but I can't remember any of their names because I flat out never used them. One was three letters and the other one was Cassini or something alike.

About PSP emulation, I don't even know if it exists or is any good. I guess I'd like to try the two Sonic games on it without having to buy another platform that's incredibly shallow without homebrew, if possible.

If you can and are willing to, feel free to throw in decent emulators for more recent home consoles, though I doubt I could ever run any of them at more than 2 FPS.

My apologies for this topic being one massive /r/ but maybe we can all scratch eachothers' back in the end.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Neo wrote:My guess is that by this I mean the NES, the Master System, the Game Gear, the SNES, the Mega Drive, the Mega CD, the 32X, the Super/Game Boy/Color, the Sega Saturn, the Playstation, the Nintendo 64, the Game Boy Advance, the Dreamcast, the DS and maybe so far as the PSP?
You can go with either Jnes or Nestopia for all your Famicom needs (I liked the latter better), then Kega Fusion for all things SEGA up and including the Super 32X, VisualBoyAdvance for anything Game Boy (PROTIP: configure the frameskip to either 0 or 1 to get decent framerates), try both Satourne and SSF for Saturn emulation, I don't like messing up the plug-ins every time I feel like playing a different game but both ePSXe and Project64 are the best in their respective platform (although you can always try out pSX), try both Chankast and nullDC for Dreamcast, and a friend of mine uses iDeaS for DS emulation but I never got to make it work on my PC, for some funny reason.
There's not a single half-decent thing for the PSP yet, the only two projects I'm aware of are Potemkin and PSPE.
And PCSX2 is certainly looking good, too.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Re: Fictional D-pads

Post by P.P.A. »

I mostly detest emulation, and other than using Gens+ for playing Sonic hacks I usually avoid it (even though I plan to put some emulators on my PSP once I can - Sonic CD on the go unf unf). Playing something on a small window on a big computer screen using the keyboard to control the action (or pads for PC, but it's the same) just isn't the same as having a game in its physical form before you, putting it in the cartridge/CD slot of your console and comfortably playing using the console's original controller. It's a totally different level of immersion, it makes the game feel much more important.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

I tried ZSNES a couple times and hated it. It makes me itch using emulators that insist on running in a strange kind of window all its' own with no title/menu bar like real men normal programs. I stick with version 1.42 of Snes9x (look it up, I don't know their website), which is one of the last offical versions they did that supports Windows. It's a little bit crude on the features end next to ZSNES, but I swear the emulation is perfect all-round. It's blazing fast too and the only time you're going to see it slow down is if some rude program is doing something resource-intensive in the background. No "take screenshot" button however, and I tried a newer version that reintroduces Windows support, which has done something weird with the sound quality.

I don't like Kega for MS/GG games because it's intentionally screwy about how it displays them. Even after an INI file tweak to get 1:1 pixel resolution, the colors are still off. Despite what I just said about weird windows, I make an exception for Meka. Takes getting used to everything (check the documention carefully for keyboard commands), and you need to remember to move the mouse every few minutes if you've got a screensaver set, but it's a very accurate alternative. And if it's giving you crap trying to run or you want/need to customize it more, get the Meka Configurator. However, if you're not looking for screenshots with proper colors, you should be able to do fine with Kega.

Can't see any reason to use Gens+ over Kega except for the Gens Movie Maker. It uses a savestates-like setup to record button presses. Very very handy if you find yourself in a situation to be needing it, and i'd download it just for that in case. It has MS/GG support too but it sucks. Sucks fierce.

VBA is fine, just try messing with video settings if it's being weird. I think it is kinda notorious for being a resources hog and slowing down a little too much, and on my ollllld Pentium III hardware that tends to happen (ex.: mode 7 racers, Mother 3 battles, to name a few), but you're not nearly as stuck in the past as I am I presume so it should run fine once you have it set right. Its' competition largely sucks anyway. NO$GBA though, does have the best, or at least most reliable, DS emulation there is now. That's not saying too much, but out of all the other DS emus I tried, this one can be counted on to work and plays a bunch of games the others probably won't for a while.

Project64 is bleck about those plugins, but after being properly configured it seems to run fine. Be sure to check the help files to find out which games are going to have problems, big or small, with glitches. I hear it's the best there is for the N64 but feel free to try others. Thing is, I can't figure out how to get proper analog calibration on the thing... finally, NeoPop is a nice, if modest, Neo-Geo Pocket emu that runs Sonic Pocket Adventure without a hitch. But no screenshot button on this one either.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

When I used to play NES games, I used Nesticle, which did the job, but that was a long time ago.

When I played SNES games, I used ZSNES. I have very limited experience with any other programs, but I didn't have problems with ZSNES. It ran the games I wanted to play and that's good enough for me. I'll probably try SNES9x the next time I sink my teeth into SNES emulation.

Project64 is probably the best N64 emulator I've tried.

Speaking of emulators, supposedly Naomi-based games are emulatable in the Naomi version of NullDC. From what I can tell, that means being able to play arcade games like Spikeout or Cosmic Smash on this version of NullDC, but there seems to be a complicated process (at least to me) in getting mame-styled roms working in it. Has anyone here tried it out yet?

I'm also very interested in Saturn emulation, so any posts delving into experience with that would be welcome.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

As far as Saturn emulation is concerned, everyone and their grandmother swears by SSF, but I've had a less-than-stellar experience with it. For one, you need a damn good computer to run it- I averaged 20 FPS with Radiant Silvergun. On the other hand, Cassini, though it only supports a handful of the games SSF does and its sound emulation is completely shot, gave me a fairly consistent 50 FPS with that and Panzer Dragoon Zweih, and it looked a hell of a lot better, to boot. Emu-savants always seem confused when I bring that latter point up, so I'll give SSF the benefit of the doubt and assume it somehow looks better when you're running it on a suitable system, but if your specs aren't up to snuff, Cassini's definitely worth a shot.

Oh, and its GUI sucks lofty rheumatoid giraffe testicles, and the only two developers behind it are MIA: Barnito, the primary dev, has almost certainly died of a brain tumor by now, and one can only assume that Snail silently jumped ship immediately afterwards. So, uh, keep an eye on SSF in the future!

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, IIRC:

Arcade: MAME32
NES: "nnnesterJ", apparently
SNES: ZSNES
Genesis: Kega Fusion (used to use Gens a lot, but, eh, made the switch for some odd reason)
PS1: ePSXe
Saturn: SSF (because, "pretty" though Cassinni can be, I tend to get far better results out of SSF)
N64: Project64
Dreamcast: NullDC
GBA: VisualBoyAdvance
DS: no$gba

So, in other words, barring the NES, I use what everyone else uses. Is anyone surprised by this? Honestly?

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Shadow Hog wrote:Genesis: Kega Fusion (used to use Gens a lot, but, eh, made the switch for some odd reason)
Maybe because, barring better/ more accurate sound and timing emulation (particularly with Super 32X games), it manages to correctly stretch the screen to the actual, original screen aspect ratio?
Other than that, I also tried Snes9x, but I never got used to it, and it seems like ZSNES is a bit lighter on resources too.

Neo

Re:

Post by Neo »

Thanks for all the replies! I'm gonna go try all the emulators you brought up and get back to you.
Isuka wrote:And PCSX2 is certainly looking good, too.
When I read that name I was expecting an MSX emulator! I certainly didn't know people ever used the PSX acronym to refer to the... Playstation 2.
P.P.A. wrote:*blargh*
That's all fine and dandy, but I don't give two shits about your religious experiences with the Atari 2600 or whatever. I just wanna be able to play some NES at full speed. Blame Nintendo for making their official emulation service a big lump of shite.
FlashTHD wrote:I tried ZSNES a couple times and hated it. It makes me itch using emulators that insist on running in a strange kind of window all its' own with no title/menu bar like real men normal programs.
I used to feel that same itch when I first started using zSNES. I don't like programs messing with my operating system's GUI. But then I noticed I never take the bloody thing off fullscreen, so.
FlashTHD wrote:I don't like Kega for MS/GG games because it's intentionally screwy about how it displays them. Even after an INI file tweak to get 1:1 pixel resolution, the colors are still off. [...] However, if you're not looking for screenshots with proper colors, you should be able to do fine with Kega.
Yeah, as I recall, Genecyst was the last emulator I recall that let you display the game in its correct colors, for some reason. I've just gotten used to it and couldn't really give a shit about it now, what I'm looking for is accuracy, prettyness and efficiency. Which Kega offers in abundant quantities.

A little note, though: that 1:1 pixel resolution you mentioned, just like on the SNES, isn't what would be output to the screen -- much like Kega does it, the image would be stretched horizontally from its almost-square shape into the 4:3 ratio of the TV. Though I do get what you mean, it's always a pickle for me when I want to get screenshots of a determined game. Do I want sharp pixels, or do I want graphical accuracy? Why couldn't you just have gone with a proper resolution like the Genesis?
FlashTHD wrote:NeoPop is a nice, if modest, Neo-Geo Pocket emu that runs Sonic Pocket Adventure without a hitch. But no screenshot button on this one either.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot all about the little Game Boy that couldn't. Yeah, I've been using NeoPop for all my SPA needs. In fact, I never even tried anything else -- that little program is quite a charm.
Isuka wrote:
Shadow Hog wrote:Genesis: Kega Fusion (used to use Gens a lot, but, eh, made the switch for some odd reason)
Maybe because, barring better/ more accurate sound and timing emulation (particularly with Super 32X games), it manages to correctly stretch the screen to the actual, original screen aspect ratio?
Actually, while is all really neat about accuracy regarding video output, it fixes a large amount of bugs Gens has. Off the top of my mind:

1) Sound emulation is better. You might not notice it, but some tracks sound closer to how they did on the original system than they do on Gens. Examples would be Emerald Hill Zone and the title theme from Sonic & Knuckles.
2) No sound bug in Sonic CD. If you play Sonic CD in Gens, hop on a special stage and attempt to jump, more often than not you'll cause the sound chip to completely crash and leave the game mute save for the CDDA track. While I think it fixes itself when you leave the special stage, what the fuck, man.
3) Correct volume levels for 32X sound channels. If you never noticed, you can hardly hear the drums in Chaotix songs. For some reason, the volume in Gens' PWM emulation is stupid low, which completely changes how the music sounds.

I'm sure there's lot more nuances, but for me that's the break-or-make right there.

P.P.A.

Re: Re:

Post by P.P.A. »

Neo wrote:
P.P.A. wrote:*blargh*
That's all fine and dandy, but I don't give two shits about your religious experiences with the Atari 2600 or whatever. I just wanna be able to play some NES at full speed. Blame Nintendo for making their official emulation service a big lump of shite.
Wait, are you implying I'd use the Virtual Console? No way. Either I pay for something and can then enjoy the game on its console and put the physical medium into my shelf, or I just illegally download it from the internet, but I don't pay for ROMs man.(EDIT: Well, I do if they're part of a collection. Zelda CE, Megaman X Collection, the Sonic ones etc.) As for full speed NES games, I plan to buy a Famicom in the farther future. >_>

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Yeah, cocks. 8 hours after I make that above post I get an email from Nintendo advertising another Hanabi festival, this time featuring, amongst others, Super Mario RPG on the VC. I heard that the original US cartridge doesn't run on modded PAL (or any) hardware (which I plan to get some time in the future), just like.... what was the other one, Chrono Trigger? Anyway, if someone can confirm this I... might... Oh, screw you Nintendo. :(

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

The other one is Lost Levels..........again (because apparently Hanabi VC games are only temporary).

Neo

Post by Neo »

So it took a ridiculous amount of time, but I've been busy doing other stuff and felt like I really hadn't tried hard enough so I wanted to postpone it, but whatever, here it goes, I guess. I checked out all (most) of the emulators you guys brought up:

Nestopia is one amazing application! It lets you customize just about anything, from processor clock speed to sound interpolation. Plus, it's the only emulator (out of the ones I tried, anyway) that can read Famicom Disk System ROMs. That alone makes Jnes fall short of what I expected.

iDeaS has some neat features, including turning the screens by increments of 90 degrees, which is extremely useful to play Hotel Dusk and other games which use the side-by-side display. Unfortunately, the games run like ass! The emulator is incredibly slow, and it distorts (read: lowers the tone of) the sound whenever it's not going at full speed. In other words, it's impossible to enjoy playing anything it.

I'll be honest, I didn't try Snes9x. I didn't really see the point in doing so because I was already fine with ZSNES, and I was already getting a bit tired of learning a new application's 300 different settings.

I also installed the Dreamcast emulators Chankast and nullDC, but haven't really tested them out because I don't have any ROM images with me to do so.

Now here comes the problem which made me lose my patience, throw all the emulators under my bed and play some Wii games instead: how do you get the damned Saturn emulators to work? Cassini gives an error message full of jumblewords and BIOS in the middle, I assume I'm supposed to tell it where the BIOS is, but there's no dialogue for that! And SSF always thinks the CD drive is open. Satourne is the only one I got lucky with, I actually managed to play Sonic Jam, even though it draws the menus incorrectly, crashes when you load a Genesis game and fails to render the ground and sky textures in the Sonic World.

Cassini seems to be the only one which can load ROM files, the others expect a CD, it seems. I tried mounting the images, Cassini gives me the BIOS thing either way, Satourne actually loads the damned thing and SSF... thinks the drive is open. Do I have to physically burn these things? Or am I not getting the full picture?

Relevant question: What did GG! use for the Sonic Jam museum page? That shit looks fine, and it seems to play the Genesis games, as well.

Also, about MAME: Is there any way to map the trackball control to an analog stick? I'd like to play Segasonic halfway decently but I can't figure out that emulator's spaghetti GUI. I could've sworn that an earlier version had a more streamlined menu, too. With a little menu that only displayed the keys for the game you're playing, and not all 6348 keys the emulator can use.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, I use this "Virtual DAEMON" thingamabob to create a "fake" CD drive, in which I load my ISOs. Then I just tell SSF to use the drive it created, and baddabing baddaboom, it accepts the ISO without a snag. Faster load times, even.

Assuming that you're using this guy too, make sure the drive it created isn't ejected (it can emulate being open, apparently). Also, SSF itself has a "CD Open/CD Close" option; make sure it's the latter, not the former.

That's about all I can say right now.

Neo

Post by Neo »

For some reason SSF runs fine now. Still stuck in the same rut with Cassini, though. Anybody familiar with the thing at all?

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Sorry for digging this up, but it came to my knowledge that, after a short downtime due to a server attack, Eidolon's Inn is back up and running, and with it came a new version of Fusion.
Besides some standard features that, for some obscure reason, were absent from previous builds (like "no frameskip" and "fast forward") and stuff like an "NTSC aspect ratio" switch, it now features a "Mega Drive model 1 sound filter", which makes it sound like... well, an original first-generation MD. Plus optimized code and the promise of more frequent updates, et cetera.

The Turtle Guy
Now Playing: Metroid Prime Trilogy, Again (the game, not the adverb)

Post by The Turtle Guy »

Emulators, huh? Hmm, lemme see, which ones do I use.... Haven't used them in a while.

I use, uh... GENS for Genesis/SCD/32X, NEStopia for NES, and for Super Nintendo I use snes9x. I only ever use my DS emulator for Phoenix Wright, so I no$gba works great. I barely emulate GBA games but I do have VBA laying around. And of course, Project 64 for N64. Also, I'm playing Chrono Cross off and on with ePSXe. And I think that's it. No particular reason for a few of them, they were just what I downloaded first.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Post-crash only? For NES, I use a combination of VirtuaNES and NEStopia, but you can almost take your pick here - the emulation quality is very close in everything and all of them play games the others don't.

For PC Engine, Magic Engine is pretty much the only way and that would be fine and dandy (it's a great emulator) except that you have to pay to register it, which is a load of balls. They also released what is to my knowledge the first and only PC-FX emulator - I have it, but I don't think I've actually seen any PC-FX images anywhere...

For Game Boy and Game Boy Color I use kigb.

For Neo-Geo and CPS2 I use Kawaks, but I don't think it plays Neo-Geo CD games (for those I use Nebula). For all other coin-ops I juse use MAME.

For the Super, I like bsnes which is supposedly the most accurate, but it's pretty demanding and to my knowledge it still doesn't support the Super FX chip. (Granted, I think I'm a few versions behind.) For compatability, I use snes9x. I don't touch zsnes.

For Lynx, handy is the only option and for Virtual Boy, realityboy. Neither one is stellar, but they get the job done.

I have a buttload of 3DO images, but I don't know if there are any working 3DO emulators... are there? What about CD-i? I remember reading an in-depth article in Retro Gamer about how to set up a CD-i emulator... apparently it's an in-depth affair...

I don't think there is a good emulator for the Jaguar yet. MESS is the only thing I've had any luck with, but it's slow and doesn't play all the games (not that there are many Jaguar games to play, and not like any of those are worth playing in the first place).

For Saturn I use SSF.

I'm pretty sure project64 is the best thing for N64 at the moment. I haven't messed much with emulation for anything beyond that.

Have you seen this site? For the most part, I follow this guy's advice.

http://nonmess.retrogames.com/

Also, has anything been dumped for the Super Cassette Vision and/or Casio PV-1000 yet? I know there's been working emulators for a while, but I haven't seen any roms.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

I'm playing Sonic CD on my PSP, and I'm ashamed to say but it's just like the real thing. Awesome.

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

Huh. You know, seeing as the topic is emulation I thought I should raise awareness about these things popping up all over eBay. I managed to find a black one for $9 w/ free shipping last week and recently got it in the mail. Feels quite nice, and plays better. It's obviously bootleg (most things coming out of China are), but I doubt you can tell the difference between this one and the real thing (the PC and PS2 equivalent having been sold out and discontinued years ago). Anyone know what's the story behind these?

My God, that D-pad is sublime.

Neo

Re:

Post by Neo »

Thanks for pointing out the new Fusion release.
Isuka wrote:"no frameskip" and "fast forward"
Those were in the previous version.

GG!: I'll take a look at bsnes and and snes9x later. For the most part, I'm using the same stuff as you, except I only play half of the consoles you mentioned.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Fusion 3.61 and new render plugins are go!
http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-downlo ... fileId=559
http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-downlo ... fileId=563

And I could swear the "No Frameskip" feature was new, he even says so in the history log. :/

Neo

Post by Neo »

I didn't post before because I thought there was no need to and didn't want to double post.

The "No Frameskip" option you mentioned isn't the standard option you'd expect (Frameskip 0, which has been in the emulator forever) but an obscure option totally irrelevant for most users. It disables Fast Forward, for instance.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I'm getting some sound issues with SSF. Everything else runs fine but the sound is crackly to fuck. Suggestions?

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Hey, Steve just released a new version of Fusion, with some new features (namely Windows Live Messenger status updates). There's a separate button mapping tab for each emulated system, now.