SNOW

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Shadow Hog

Re: SNOW

Post by Shadow Hog »

Actually, I think Firefox explicitly doesn't render text that small, which is why so many of us can't see it at all.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I can only imagine snow being some kind of spectacle. It's like being amazed at rain or sunshine. Having lived in Michigan my whole life and never being into winter sports, it's usually something I give a heavy sigh to knowing that I'm going to have to drive through that mess with cleaning off my car and driving past more accidents than usual.

When I hear people getting all excited about snow, it reminds me of when I was a kid and used to get snow days. If it snows hard now, it doesn't make a difference since my college has only had 1 snow day in the past 20 years. My college is also a 45 minute drive away from where I live...

I have had a few moments of walking through fresh snow with no sign of life to be heard. And the way sound waves seem to move differently against snow, they were pretty cool, surreal moments of isolation. Those are the main good moments I've had with snow outside of childhood.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

We just got hit in the New Orleans area this past week.

Kind of ironic.

A friend of mine in Hammond said they had about two feet on the ground.

CM August

Post by CM August »

That photo is awesome.

Oh, and living in Australia, never seen snow in my life, etc.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

It snows down south? What the fuck is Florida for, then?

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Yeah, we got snow in Houston late last week. Shit's fucked up.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I just got snow here in Brooklyn, New York today. It's odd because it was like Autumn just this morning.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

At least you guys have had power for the last week, unlike half of New England.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

The loser half.

WB
Drano Master

Post by WB »

So for those that don't know, I moved to New Jersey a year and a half ago to pursue my masters at the School of Visual Arts.

I missed last years snowfall, but it was nothing like this. I have never seen this much accumulated snow in my entire life.

It's like Jack Frost vomited all over the landscape and never stopped. EVER.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to drive home for Christmas if it doesn't let up.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

It's been pretty bad here for the last week too. I've been shoveling a couple of time in the past week and my Dad has probably spent at least 5 hours working on it. I think it's supposed to snow tomorrow too, so I don't know if we'll be able to see the rest of the family this year or not.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Old Man Winter can go fuck himself. :evil:

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Agreed. The initial thrill of snow dissipates quickly once you drive through your first ice slick, and watch in horror as your uncontrollable vehicle slams straight into a snowbank...

Sorry if that killed the enthusiasm...

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

How about the first time you're pulled over by the police because they saw you run the wrong side of a yellow light because all your attempts to stop were met with locked brakes and the distinct feeling that continued attempts would end with you spun around the wrong way in the middle of the intersection? I will cherish that holiday memory, oh yes.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Or when you're making a left-hand turn going about five miles per hour only to have your car do something that could only resemble a vehicular pirouette?

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Don't mean to derail the winter hate, but I've got to say it: fuck Houston weather. Fuck it up its proverbial asshole. It usually just remains pretty cold throughout the winter season, with a bit of unwelcome rain, but this year it's cold one day and hot the next. It was so humid today that I was sweating! Come on!

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I don't remember the last time I sweat in winter without doing a decent amount of exercise.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Protodude said:
Don't mean to derail the winter hate, but I've got to say it: fuck Houston weather. Fuck it up its proverbial asshole. It usually just remains pretty cold throughout the winter season, with a bit of unwelcome rain, but this year it's cold one day and hot the next. It was so humid today that I was sweating! Come on!
The Great State of Iowa has the exact same problem on a year-round scale. It can get up to 100 degrees (Ferenheit) in the summer and be as humid as hell, whereas in the winter it can get to -30 degrees (wind chill included) and be as slick as snot.

To add insult to injury, the ground here turns dull and lifeless, the trees barren, and the sky almost always overcast about six months out of the year. It's depressing. It's like walking into the outskirts of Mordor or something.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So Monday morning I woke up at the usual time and casually glanced out the window to see how the weather looked. It had been a couple of weeks since any snow accumulated and the previous day had been completely snow free. I had never even bothered to buy a snow shovel because I figured I wouldn't need one at my apartment.

The snow in the parking lot completely covered the tires of my car.

I stepped out into the parking lot and the snow was literally up to my knees.

I'm not too sure all of what happened next. I spent about 25 minutes brushing about two mattresses worth of snow off the top of my car, then another 15 trying to free the tires. I finally managed to roll back into the lot and got completely stuck for another 20 minutes before some kind neighbors helped me dig it out and push it off the lot.

So I guess I need to buy a snow shovel. And some boots.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

And then there was the ice on the windshield. And even once you scrape that off, how are you supposed to keep the inside of the windshield from fogging up without opening your windows and freezing your nuts off? I use the windshield defroster but it's a lie as far as I can tell.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Set the defroster in the middle, directly between hot and cold. At full blast. If the defroster really isn't working, you only need to leave the window a crack open while you're driving. And let your car heat up before you drive it anywhere, doofus.

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Delphine wrote:Set the defroster in the middle, directly between hot and cold. At full blast. If the defroster really isn't working, you only need to leave the window a crack open while you're driving. And let your car heat up before you drive it anywhere, doofus.
This. It's a form of convection. If you have a fresh air switch on your car, you can probably turn that on and it'll help mitigate the problem.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Okay, so what about this: all the cars I see (except mine) have these plastic barriers attached the rim of each window. I'd never seen any such thing before I came here and they didn't start cropping up until the snows began, so I assume it's got something to do with snow. What is their purpose?

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

It's used to keep snow/rain/run off from entering the window if you wish to have it open a crack.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Oh, cool. Where do I get those? Can I stick 'em on myself or do I need to go to the shop?