The sonic game no one wanted is back...maybe...

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
WB
Drano Master

The sonic game no one wanted is back...maybe...

Post by WB »

So Sega has retrademarked Sonic Shuffle

http://gonintendo.com/?p=66507

That DOESN'T mean that they'll be rereleasing it BUUUUUUUT - well, Sega has been port happy on the wii with the better parts of thier Dreamcast library as of late.

Plus, it's obvious that if they do go this route then this is a kind of weak attempt to try and cash into the 'Wii party game' schtick (with which Shuffle WOULD fit). It's the only console Sonic game of the modern era that hasn't been ported or referenced anywhere else.

Honestly, when you compare Shuffle to Mario Party (both were made by the same company - Hudson) MP beats it by a country mile. The problem is - MP has drifted off into mediocrity too. Shuffle was done when party games were early and stil the rage, so the cheating AI system was unbearable and just made the game not fun at all. The ONLY way this would be tolerable is if some new modes were added and the NOTORIOUS cheating mechanisms were done away with. I could see them porting this and adding some of the post Sonic Adventure 2 characters for a broader experience (Shadow, Blaze, Silver, etc etc etc) but would Sega really go through all that trouble of fixing the game just for Sonic Shuffle?

In their favor, they did do an "updated" port of Samba de Amigo quite recently and tried to revive NiGHTs to some extent. Buuuuuuuuuuut...

well....this IS Sega after all. =\

Zeta

Re: The sonic game no one wanted is back...maybe...

Post by Zeta »

Related: I really do wish that Nintendo would release a "Mario Party Collection" featuring all the boards and minigames in the series. That would actually be worth a purchase.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

That would be kind of tough to do, considering how there's now eight of them, each with 5-6 boards, 50-80 minigames and varying rule sets.

I'd rather they have one new board for each already-existing theme, all the minigames from just the first three Parties, and the ability to customize all the rules to your liking (e.g. whether you want to use Items, Orbs or certain types of spaces or events).

The one thing I did like from Shuffle was the use of cards instead of dice. If they made a Mario Party using what I described above in addition to a card system a la Shuffle, I'd put it above all of them.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Shuffle is bullshit (even more so) without the VMU screen. I honestly can't believe a little LCD screen in the controller didn't catch on even with the Dreamcast doing as mediocre as it did.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I got Sonic Shuffle along with Sonic Adventure when I brought my Dreamcast... And I will say one thing for it. Unlike Mario Party, in which nearly everything on the boards are decided by chance, the use of cards made Sonic Shuffle much more strategy based, meaning that the game could probably be a lot of fun with experienced players who both knew the boards and how to use their supply of cards wisely. Of course, the more luck-based thrills of Mario Party probably appeal more to beginners. But I personally liked to have at least some degree of control when moving through the board.

I always thought that they would rerelease Sonic Shuffle, but that it would be in some Sonic compilation (is the Wii powerful enough to port multiple Dreamcast games on one disk?). Now that you mention it, doing it through a Wii channel would probably be the ideal way to do it.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:(is the Wii powerful enough to port multiple Dreamcast games on one disk?)
That question makes no sense. Do you mean whether or not several Dreamcast games can fit on one Wii disc? Well, the Wii uses standard DVDs, which hold over four times the amount of data a Dreamcast GD-ROM did, so.

That figure is blown to double if you consider a dual-layer disc, which means you could probably get away with putting nine Dreamcast discs on a single Wii disc.

Now I want Shenmue I&II for the Wii.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

I actually enjoyed SS back in the day, but I think that was because I had a couple friends to play against all the time. I went back a bit ago and played it again.

…Yeah.

Wouldn't be totally against seeing it again, though.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

No.

No...

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Never played it due to the horrid loading times when my friend showed it to me. And I'm the kinda guy who actually thought the Party Mode of SatSR was passable.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Yeah, wasn't Secret Rings kind of also Sonic Shuffle 2?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Pretty much, but at least you weren't forced to play them to continue onward through the game.

This is the worst Sonic-related thing I've heard since Shadow the Hedgehog.

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

...That reminds me--why haven't any of the first three Mario Parties been released on the Virtual Console?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

If you've played one, you've played them all?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Detracting sales from the Wii version?

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

Are they gonna make any more of those? 8's been out for a while now, and I was actually looking forward to the potential a Mario Party built from the ground up for Wii could have…

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

G.Silver wrote:Detracting sales from the Wii version?
8 sold over 2 million copies worldwide. I don't think sales has anything to do with it. They're probably holding out for a DS port or something.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

That question makes no sense. Do you mean whether or not several Dreamcast games can fit on one Wii disc? Well, the Wii uses standard DVDs, which hold over four times the amount of data a Dreamcast GD-ROM did, so.

That figure is blown to double if you consider a dual-layer disc, which means you could probably get away with putting nine Dreamcast discs on a single Wii disc.

Now I want Shenmue I&II for the Wii.
See, now a new Sonic compilation that included the DreamCast games is something I might actually be into. I would totally shell out 50 bucks for Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, 3 & Knuckles, 3D Blast, Spinball, Mean Bean Machine, CD, Fighters, R, the GameGear games, Adventure 1 & 2, and Shuffle all in one game disc. And if they wanted to toss in Chaotix and SegaSonic, that would seal the deal for me.

Neo

Post by Neo »

The thing is, why would they go and do that? You can already get all that on the Gamecube (and thus on the Wii), sans Shuffle.

To me, for a new Sonic compilation to be worth getting, it'd have to include Chaotix, Segasonic, a proper rendition of Sonic CD (Mega CD emulation would probably be the best bet) with both soundtracks available, Sonic 3D (Saturn version), Shuffle with shorter loading times, Pocket Adventure, and possibly even as far as the Sonic World from Jam and the old cellphone games. All the rest I already own. Several times.

What are the odds of that ever happening, though?

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Sonic Shuffle literally gave me nightmares. It was a miracle I even managed to beat it once. I could see them re-releasing it for the Wii though.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Oompa Star wrote:Sonic Shuffle literally gave me nightmares.
It was the final minigame, wasn't it? Monster Void ranks up there with FF8's Propagators and Eastern Mind's cello face on my list of Scariest Game Creatures Ever. It's all in the jaundiced eyes.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

See, now I really want to know what monster void looks like, but not nearly enough to actually play Shuffle. Anyone have an image?

WB
Drano Master

Post by WB »

Locit wrote:See, now I really want to know what monster void looks like, but not nearly enough to actually play Shuffle. Anyone have an image?

CM August

Post by CM August »

Alternately, you could do a quick youtube search.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Locit wrote:See, now I really want to know what monster void looks like, but not nearly enough to actually play Shuffle. Anyone have an image?
I really wish I could find one! This video is as good as it gets- it doesn't really do him justice, and looking back at it, it doesn't seem all that scary and I guess I was just a pussy back then. But, man, those eyes. His face is practically a carbon copy of that 100-eyed nipple image from the Boobies! topic. (Anyone still have that that?)

And I've got to come clean with you guys: I've never even played the game with another person, and I still thought Shuffle was a pretty competent game. The visuals and overall presentation were stylish, and the gameplay was, well... Competent! Even when sized up against Mario Party. After all these years, I'm confident that if I played the game today, I'd still manage to eke some enjoyment out of it.

Also, WB's image looked like a massive gaping vagina at first glance. It's probably a better representation of Monster Void than the video itself.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

WB wrote:Image
JESUS CHRIST