Prope outlines company philosophy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Dash wrote:I want new character based games too, but if they can use good design to make these games fun I'll probably give them a shot.
I don't see how anyone could "use good design" to make a poor game out of a bunch of screensaver-like stuff on the TV. Or a good game, for that matter.
Dash wrote:
Dash wrote: Talking about the Artoon analogy... I'd rather see simple concepts executed well rather than complex ones executed awkwardly.
Edit or no, I could not let that stand.
Well, I'm relieved you took that back. Really.

Rob-Bert

Re: Prope outlines company philosophy

Post by Rob-Bert »

You put too much stock in what that guy says.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I don't think we'd even be discussing Let's Tap if it wasn't being made by Naka-san. I don't remember talking about Raving Rabbits TV Party's sit-on-the-balance board controls.

But I guess these are the types of games a small developer can make nowadays, rather than sprawling epics.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Rob-Bert wrote:You put too much stock in what that guy says.
I don't see why he should put ANY stock in what that guy says; the dude's effing full of it. A quick glance at more or less any of his articles proves that literally everything he says is an insulting rant at anything and everything. Does that guy like ANYTHING?

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Oh, I know why you think like that. Don't worry, no one cares if he doesn't like Radiant Silvergun that much, it's just a matter of personal tastes.
gr4yJ4Y wrote:I don't remember talking about Raving Rabbits TV Party's sit-on-the-balance board controls.
See, that's some truly awesome shit right there.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Rob-Bert wrote:You put too much stock in what that guy says.
Especially when his opinions often stray towards the bullshit end of the spectrum. The guy tends to skirt one or two valid points, but then spends the remainder of his essays touting his opinions as fact and being a complete dick about it in the process.

"SIMPLE GAMES REQUIRE NO SKILL AND INDIE GAMES (AND GAMERS) ARE RETARDED A-HYUCK"? How can you read this stuff?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Also,
Isuka wrote:Don't worry, no one cares if he doesn't like Radiant Silvergun that much, it's just a matter of personal tastes.
I care. I care. If he can't appreciate Radiant Silvergun, what could his opinions possibly be worth?

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

I'm so damn pride you guys are all so concentrated in the trees that you can't see the forest, for you exert judgement on the message's form instead of its content.

Go ask him about Cave Story, or Touhou, or Kororinpa, just to mention a bunch of indie titles he gave a big, protruding thumb up. I can't share his tastes at 100%, but I do see his cry for notoriety where it's due, reputation where it belongs, and excellence in this medium where it matters the most.

And that, quite definitely, is not taking a goddamned wiimote, placing it downwards over an empty box, and tapping with your upper extremities to make some random crap move on a screen.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Seems pretty Rub Rabbits to me.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

It looks like the game is trying to use the wiimote and box akin the the DK Bongos that were packed with Donkey Konga and DK Jungle Beat.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

The fact that this is all the company has after 3 years is pretty convincing evidence that they're really the front for a Yakuza Ferrari smuggling operation.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, I guess all hope shouldn't be lost yet, since they ARE working on a character-driven game. Allegedly. Other than that it's "like Sonic" and that it's being worked on, we don't really have details.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

This tripe is so much easier to stomach when viewed as a relatively innovative side project. If both 'Let's' games turn out to be Virtual Console-centric, I might even be able to forgive Prope entirely!

One might have thought that Yuji's decision to strike out on his own would've been influenced by his being totally exhausted with the Sonic franchise (He certainly did seem to be getting complacent with his role as producer)- at least, that's what I assumed, so it seems pretty odd to me that Prope's first real undertaking would be something unabashedly "like Sonic." If he hasn't already had his fill, isn't that sort of definite confirmation that he'd been given a window seat in his later years? It'd be interesting to see what he can come up with when he isn't being held back.

At least, that's what I tried to tell myself just now, but I just keep coming back to Billy Hatcher, which was an awful lot like Sonic. Should I even bother showing interest in this mystery title?

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I'm pretty sure Let's Tap! is a disk game (probably $50) and Let's Catch! is a WiiWare game.

I doubt Sega is going to publish something that is too Sonic-like. I think it'd probably be about as similar to Sonic as Billy Hatcher.

And just watch, it could take them another 3 years before they announce more details on it. I am curious about this upcoming interview with Naka.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Some impressions

http://kotaku.com/5061443/hands-on-with-segas-lets-tap
While there are at least five mini-game types in Let's Tap!, only one was on hand for the TGS rank and file, a game called "Tap Runner." All that's required is to light tap one's fingers on the cardboard box to make your avatar run. To make it jump, smack the box a bit harder.

Turns out the Wii remote is surprisingly sensitive at picking up these little taps. Get a bit too excited and you may accidentally jump. But you can also control the height of your jump by smacking the box with varying degrees of intensity.

"Tap Runner" isn't much more than a track and field style event, full of pits, hurdles, jump pads and electrified orbs. It's disarmingly fun and up to four players can compete head to head in a series of races (GameSpot's Brian Ekberg and I ran a quick trio of minute-long sprints.)

The game has a nice graphical style, with "Tap Runner" having a bit of Tron aesthetic.
I italicized my favorite part. I think that's awesome.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Is the box big enough for a penguin to fit on it?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Some kind of "Sonic type" game? What!? Naka is pulling an Oshima, why dont they just return to SEGA? Guess the pay is bad.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

hedgepig

Post by hedgepig »

wakarimasen.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Gametrailers has a couple of videos up for Let's Tap.

The first is a rhythem-action segment and the other is a Japanese commercial of the game.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Someone kidnap the composer and leave him/ her at some competent developer's entrance door.

The better Winamp visualization plug-ins look much better than that, too. Hey, I can tap this empty box to the plug-in's rhythm, SOME FUCKING INNOVATION BEST WII GAME EVAR!

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

So, Let's Tap got a pretty good review in Edge. Maybe it's... good? Anyone here played it yet?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Another video game forum I visit swears by it like it was the epitome of video game greatness.

I honestly don't care.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

Bumping an old thread rather than making a new one.

So I was able to get my hands on this yesterday, and it's was pretty fun with friends. If you drop the other people out, the fun factor goes down a good bit, but the race mode is much more fun than expected, the Jenga-esque mode is kinda neat for a while, and if you have friends that enjoyed Donkey Konga, you'll probably like the rhythm mode. There's also a Ballon Fight-like one-player game that has Asteroids-style multi. I don't know that I'd recommend a purchase, but it was worth the rental.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I bought it today. My local gamestop didn't even have a display copy out. I don't know how I feel about the game yet but I'm predicting a major sales flop.