Obama now President of USA.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Edgerock

Obama now President of USA.

Post by Edgerock »

As the polls show, he is now our new president. Now various comments are expected...

Baba O'Riley

Re: Obama now President of USA.

Post by Baba O'Riley »

In more exciting news, Futurama's on!

UCHU

Post by UCHU »

And in even more exciting news, my flag is now flying at half mast.

lol

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

5am is a pretty cool time. I give positive comments for the US. Well done, this Briton approves.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Yes, we did.

Post by Delphine »

To be precise, he's the president-elect. He'll be president on January 20th, 2009.

In other news, I haven't received my code from Harmonix for my free Rock Band 2 DLC. What the hell, guys. Stop refreshing cnn.com AN GIVE ME MY CODE

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

YES WE CAN!

Also, I'm concerned about the results of CA's Prop. 8. I really hope that didn't pass.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I like Obama. I voted for him and was happy to see him win. These are all relatively new emotions to me regarding politicians. Those four extra years of Bush have been difficult, but I honestly can't imagine Kerry would have exactly cleaned house, either.

Prop 8 is one of the most ridiculous pieces of proposed legislature I've ever heard of. If a state lets 50.01% of its voters do something the Supreme Court declared unconstitutional, (and to rewrite the state's constitution to get their way), you're not that far removed from a mob rules system. If you're going to give the voters a check on the SC, it should at least be 70% against or something that would demonstrate a vehement opposition, rather than a slight upset on a half-and-half split. Especially in this case, where it only applies to a minority of the citizens (I don't know about California, but LGBT folks make up what, about 10% or so? If that?) so it pretty much rests in the hands of people who would normally be pretty much apathetic on the subject.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

I voted for Nader because I honestly didn't care who would've won. Congrats to Obama for making history and all that.

In a more intriguing turn of recent events, I took notice of a circular piece of copper worth 0.01% of an American dollar on a pedestrian walkway and proceeded to take it into my possession.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Also, I'm concerned about the results of CA's Prop. 8. I really hope that didn't pass.
It did, fuckers. The Court still has ways to fight it, though. Especially since it left some loopholes over what to do with the gays who are already married. The Court can also rule that changing the Consitutiton of the state in any way requires a 2/3rds majority in a case like this.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

I'm hoping for the gay version of Roe vs Wade, myself. "Hey guys, you know that part that says 'All men are create equal'? Here's the weird part -- it's still there!"

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

If Prop 8 does pass I don’t see how the California supreme court could not review it and overturn it, unless their previous arguments regarding gay marriage were wrong based on the rest of the constitution. The part of the constitution they used as the basis for their argument regarding gay marriage hasn’t changed, so if Prop 8 gets added there will definitely be a conflict in the constitution with itself.

Well, for a start, isn’t there the ongoing question about whether it’s actually an amendment, or a constitutional change which requires a larger supermajority? The courts wouldn’t consider that before it passed, but now they will have to. There’s also the point that it conflicts with the equal protection clause, and the courts will have to decide what happens when the constitution contradicts itself. I wouldn’t give up just yet. These are quite arguable points. Just sad that it now has to go through the courts again and if successful it will be seen as “activist judges” overruling the will of the people yet again.

"Every ethnic group supported marriage equality, except African-Americans, who voted overwhelmingly against extending to gay people the civil rights once denied them: a staggering 69 - 31 percent African-American margin against marriage equality. That's worse than even I expected. Whites, on the other hand, clearly rejected discrimination: 55 to 45 percent. Latinos were evenly split." -Andrew Sullivan

African American voters show up in record numbers to support Obama. Obama's against Proposition 8, but most other African Americans are for it. 2+2=4. Obama caused more African Americans to vote for him, but they voted for Prop 8 at the same time, ignoring his stance. All they wanted was a man in the White House and fuck the other minorities. That Obama was in those African American religious rallies along with people who supported Prop 8. He may have been vocally against it, but actions speak louder than words. And the African American religious community has spoken - Fags don't Deserve Rights. The message of the Racial Minorities is now "We've Got Ours, Finally, To Hell with the GLBTS."

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Zeta wrote:And the African American religious community has spoken - Fags don't Deserve Rights. The message of the Racial Minorities is now "We've Got Ours, Finally, To Hell with the GLBTS."
If this is new and surprising, you haven't been paying attention.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I think this election may have actually made me racist.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Don't fall that way, dude. Hatred isn't the way we're going to win this. Remember that there are gay black folks who have it a lot harder than we do.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I know, those poor bastards. Being Gay and Black and Gay and Muslim is like losing the lottery of life. : (

You know what gays need? An ugly friend. You always look better when there's someone worse nearby. We need someone to rally for Furry Rights or the right to Marry Feet or something. It'd make us look better in comparison.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

The fact that a man with as socially conservative and religious views, liberal econimic policies and nationalistic values as Obama can be considered a left-winger by many Americans is really fucking idiotic. By international standards Obama is right-wing to the bone, and so is pretty much the Democratic party as a whole, just slighly less so than the Republicans.

Now if you excuse me, im of to urinate on the Romanov familys grave and give Lenins corpse a comfy foot massage. Do svidaniya!

hedgepig

Post by hedgepig »

My biggest disappointment is that he won't lift the embargo on Cuba :sad:

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Zeta wrote:Just sad that it now has to go through the courts again and if successful it will be seen as “activist judges” overruling the will of the people yet again.
The religious right will always throw a nasty hissy fit when they don't get their way. That's unavoidable. In Massachusetts, they tried to put a proposition similar to this one on the bill, but they got their asses handed back to them, "Sorry, unconstitutional means unfuckingconstitutional." And people biiiiiiitched about it... "Apparently the state of Massachusetts wants it to be illegal to be Christian/a traditional family, yada yada." Then it went away. They moved on. Like any spoiled brat not getting what they want after an epic tantrum, they just realized they were defeated and moved on. California broke down and bought the screaming toddler a lollipop, a toy truck and a pony, under the false pretense that would shut the little bastard up.

I don't really see where the hardcore Christians get off on trying to make the Bible into law. It's like they think separation of church and state only applies to those "weird, scary religions".

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

DackAttac wrote:I don't really see where the hardcore Christians get off on trying to make the Bible into law.
The idea is that God's commandments are actually given for the good for society and individuals rather than arbitrary rules people made up thousands of years ago. For example, how widespread contraception lead to an increase of infidelity and divorce and ultimately, I assume, a lower quality of life for all involved. In that light they're doing their civic duty by expressing how they think the country would best be run.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

Frieza2000 wrote:
DackAttac wrote:IFor example, how widespread contraception lead to an increase of infidelity and divorce and ultimately, I assume, a lower quality of life for all involved.
This is, in fact, incorrect: Why divorce is good for women.

You can rail against divorce, but that divorce lowers quality of life for all involved is an incorrect assumption.

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

I dunno. Seems like a rational assumption if you hadn't done research.

Anyways, most laws are based on Judeo-Christian ethos, and while I don't believe in anything remotely resembling a higher power, I recognize the fact that there's a certain inalienable cloud hanging over the collective head of the U.S., and it'll almost always determine the law, for better or for worse.

Incidentally, in a poll with a 1% margin of error, 60% of Americans said they would not vote for a presidential candidate who did not profess a belief in God.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Baba O'Riley wrote:Anyways, most laws are based on Judeo-Christian ethos, and while I don't believe in anything remotely resembling a higher power, I recognize the fact that there's a certain inalienable cloud hanging over the collective head of the U.S., and it'll almost always determine the law, for better or for worse.
People need something to believe in. Whether that belief is "there is a great big man in the sky who loves us all (and by all I mean straight white men of course) very very much" or "we can be greater than this" or "everything is shit", you believe in something. Period. It's just easier to believe in something that has a pre-scripted doctrine than to go your own way. Hell, it's almost impossible to go your own way, because nearly everything has been done before.
Frieza2000 wrote:widespread contraception lead to an increase of infidelity and divorce and ultimately, I assume, a lower quality of life for all involved.
If one adjustment breaks the system, then there's something wrong with the system in the first place.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

The main problem is when people want to force their ways, views and thoughts into someone else's head, that's when shit starts going awry. Not forcing Catholic principles on fucking everyone doesn't mean the government rejects, attacks and/or persecutes Catholicism or anything that even remotely amounts to such a thing.
And I still can't believe the timing with which both Zeitgeist movies were released, practically coinciding with the global financial crisis and stuff.

I didn't see much of a trascendental, unarguably important difference between the two main candidates, but I see most people's hope on Obama as a pretty cool thing; I'm getting the feeling that, if he doesn't put his all into accomplishing his candidate promises, people will actually, actively go ask him for them, and I base my presumptions on absolutely nothing.

DackAttac

Re:

Post by DackAttac »

Isuka wrote:The main problem is when people want to force their ways, views and thoughts into someone else's head, that's when shit starts going awry. Not forcing Catholic principles on fucking everyone doesn't mean the government rejects, attacks and/or persecutes Catholicism or anything that even remotely amounts to such a thing.
Oh God, yes, the "slippery slope" argument. I'm so sick of hearing how if "we tolerate clerks saying 'happy holidays!' instead of 'merry Christmas!', where does it end? With Christmas being banned!". And how gay marriage will end in incest and bestiality. And how abortion will end in our extinction. Etc. Etc. If I drink three gallons of water in one go, I'll die from water intoxication. Doesn't mean it'd be risky to have one glass whenever I'm thirsty. It'd be nice if these people were just honest and instead said, "I'm too stubborn to comprehend any form of compromise, so don't bother talking to me about this topic."

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Zeta wrote:African American voters show up in record numbers to support Obama. Obama's against Proposition 8, but most other African Americans are for it. 2+2=4. Obama caused more African Americans to vote for him, but they voted for Prop 8 at the same time, ignoring his stance. All they wanted was a man in the White House and fuck the other minorities.
As likely as it is that a lot of black people did vote for Obama just because he's black, I hope you understand how absurd it is to assume such a thing based entirely on the fact that they have differing views on one policy.