Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I played Sonic Adventure in March 2001 when I got a Dreamcast for my 17th birthday, then I played Sonic Adventure 2 a mere 3 months later when it was released. I very quickly came to the conclusion that 1 was better without having "nostalgic goggles" on. The level design is cool, there's nowhere near as many death traps as Adventure 2 or Heroes, Knuckles' purpose in the plot actually made sense in the context of the story (the last time in a Sonic game IMO), the characters' stories were very well integrated together, the controls are straightforward and simple to understand, the music is cool, and the final battle with Chaos Perfect is way better than the giant lizard battle in Sonic Adventure 2. It's not perfect, and it was rushed like hell to market, but I can tell how inspired Sonic Team were when they made Sonic Adventure. Much more so than Adventure 2 or Heroes and their cookie-cutter anime plots.

If any recent Sonic game gets more attention than it should, it's Sonic Rush. It's a good platformedr, but it's full of annoying, clumsy level design and enemy placements (I hated riding the rocket in the final Zone. I must have died a good dozen times before finally getting the hang of it).

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Um, although Sonic Adventure certainly isn't the world's greatest game, it is NOWHERE near controlling as badly as Sonic 2K6. In Adventure if I want to stop on a dime, I can; in Sonic 2K6 I'll wind up wildly spinning around in circles in a vain attempt to slow my character down, while the game completely ignores any laws of momentum (ie: turns are too sharp, you'll go full speed the whole way, etc).

Plus Sonic Adventure doesn't constantly kill you unless you either suck or deliberately deviate from the path; 2K6 you'll die inadvertently just trying to finish the level, whether you suck or not.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

Maybe nostalgia has something to do with it, but honestly, if you can play SA and Sonic '06 back to back and think they're of the same quality, you are all kinds of in the minority. Sonic Adventure isn't perfect, but it's playable, and maybe this is nostalgia, but for me, at least, some of the technical oversights were more forgivable then then they are now, simply because it was their first foray into 3D.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

SA1 was tons more enjoyable when I was playing it, because everything new and exciting about it has since been run into the ground by future titles. Trust me—coming off no real Sonic game since Sonic & Knuckles, to suddenly see Sonic in "real world" environments was the tits. When you'd gone without a Sonic game for five years, and the N64 was lauded as "da bomb" (it was the 90's, unfortunately, we did talk like that), to see Sonic, of all franchises, kick off the 128-bit era, while ironing out a lot of the commonplace (for the time) bugs, you were in awe. Looking back comparing it with a game with massive flaws but seven years and two console generations' worth of sheen on it, it's not gonna look quite as good. Especially since, as I said, everything that made SA1 unique at the time has been turned into a cliché.

The controls were my favorite. They were only 80% there, but it felt like I was controlling Sonic as a biped, not some kind of vehicle, as it felt like in later games, even though it may at times have gotten closer to 90%. S06 I can't even give a passing grade.

Neo

Post by Neo »

DackAttac wrote:Looking back comparing it with a game with massive flaws but seven years and two console generations' worth of sheen on it, it's not gonna look quite as good.
Except it does look quite as good, or better, than current Sonic titles. Honestly, the only thing that still bugs me about the game is the 30fps cap -- I can, for the most part, avoid all the nasty little bugs since I already know where they are. :)

I can't actually testify as to how much Sonic '06 sucks, but almost everybody I've heard places it about on-par with Sonic Heroes: it does a thing or two right here or there, but as a whole the experience just plays out badly.

God, I can't believe I used to like Heroes. I still remember certain segments of the game very fondly, but now when I go play it, it is so much bonerkill :(

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Neo wrote:I can't actually testify as to how much Sonic '06 sucks, but almost everybody I've heard places it about on-par with Sonic Heroes
Everybody you've heard from is too optimistic.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Boner during a Sonic game? Hmmmm.......

Although it was the first Sonic game to go with a realistic setting, it wasn't too overdone, although I'm sure that has to do with a combination of the hardware and the time they had to complete it. If I'm not mistaken I remember the human characters having big ol' dopey anime eyes. Or at least big black beady eyes or something? I dunno.

But anyway, it remains my favorite 3D Sonic game to date, despite SA2 controlling slightly better. In comparison to Sonic06, it manages to control better and the level design feels more natural.

WB
Drano Master

Post by WB »

Shadow Hog wrote:
Crazy Penguin wrote:
Segaholic2 wrote:The comics are fucking terrible.
They even brought back that Jon Gray hack to draw a story in the latest issue. WTF!
What, that no-talent wash-up penciled another story? They really must be desperate.

What the hell is he doing back on the book? UGH. You'd think he'd have something better to do than bother with those losers again. Respect -1 BAJILLION!!!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Neo

Post by Neo »

FlashTHD wrote:
Neo wrote:I can't actually testify as to how much Sonic '06 sucks, but almost everybody I've heard places it about on-par with Sonic Heroes
Everybody you've heard from is too optimistic.
Well, for the record, none of them have ever compared it to Sonic Heroes, that was just an analogy I was trying to make. The usual consensus is that the level design was a step in the right direction (from what, though? Heroes? Adventure?), but the controls are miles in the wrong direction, essentially breaking any piece of the game that might've been fun into a muddy pulp.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

That actually sounds about right. The level design wasn't TOO bad (aside from constantly abusing the "linear path over bottomless pit" thing), but the gameplay in the stages was abysmal.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Let me try to summarise Sonic 06:
Awesome music, low-tech realistic graphics, good level design with alternate routes and slow platforming segments but often unfair object placement, totally fucked up physics, slightly less slippery controls than Heroes, Shadow or SA1 with very precise but entirely momentum-less jump controls. Sonic and Blaze are fun to play, Shadow is Sonic with more enemies and a few more combat techniques and Silver is extremely slow and has psychic abilities that are cool the first time around but get old fast. Also often in stages you have to change characters, which are sometimes fun (Omega, Blaze) but often annoying.
The loading times are unbearable, the adventure fields utterly shit and overall the game is a total pain the first time around. Though afterwards I played the stages directly from the menu and actually grew to like it somewhat. Overall I'd say it's better than Heroes, Shadow and SSR and a bit worse than SA1. It's ridden with bugs though, but while SA1 had more bugs when it came to collision detectiona nd goign through walls and floors, here they're more with the controls and gameplay itself.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I remember reading the SA's Let's Play Sonic 2006 thread and thinking how dreadful it looked to play. They only stage that seemed to might, might have some semblance of amusement was the first part of Sonic's Crisis City stage.

Other than that, PPA, you're so crazy!

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Seriously, PPA, YOU CRAZY. Also? You might have Stockholm syndrome.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

P.P.A. wrote:Let me try to summarise Sonic 06:
Awesome music
At least there's some opinion we both have. I was afraid you were, like, the Antidack or something.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

P.P.A. wrote:SA1 had more bugs when it came to collision detectiona nd goign through walls and floors
Only if you intentionally went looking for them. The handful of ones that made themselves more apparent than that were seldom ever crippling.

Oh never mind, what are we all doing wasting time talking back to his insanity anyway?

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

FlashTHD wrote:Oh never mind, what are we all doing wasting time talking back to his insanity anyway?
Dude, it's the GHZ. Pointing and laughing at crazy people is what we do.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Neo wrote: God, I can't believe I used to like Heroes. I still remember certain segments of the game very fondly, but now when I go play it, it is so much bonerkill :(
I played it recently too and feel the same way. I haven't played SA1in a long time, but I imagine it's still awesome, if aged.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

When I played SA1 the first time I was like whoa its so new! but when I played it again later I was like whoa! this game was really a classic, you could tell Oshima and others were still around.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Cool shirt here. Excluding the, *cough* dripping blood on the werehog side. It's a reversible tee Sega of Japan will be selling soon, will cost 4,200 yen. More information in moonspeak here.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Again, I still think this game is the "Runaway Brain" of the Sonic series.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

FlashTHD wrote:It's a reversible tee Sega of Japan will be selling soon, will cost 4,200 yen. More information in moonspeak here.
Reversible, you say? I'd never have to see the crappy werehog part, you say? HMMMMMMMMMM.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Well technically you would have to close your eyes each time you put on the shirt.

Spike

Post by Spike »

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum, but I noticed this video hasn't been posted yet. It's the first level to this game played by someone who, get this, ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING... sorta. He dies twice but at least he's not retarded, amirite?

here's the link:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6wpg5 ... videogames

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

the 2d platforming looks like it might be difficult with that dynamic looking camera, but so far it looks cool. So far though in all the videos I saw for this game nobody has been able to do the QTE, which I think is kind of sad.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Yea much better video! Thanks dude!

Looks interesting, the boss battles is what's got me intrigued ATM, but it seems they will be ala Sonic Advance 2 from previous videos.