A mystery

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

A mystery

Post by Green Gibbon! »

These swirly pink and white things in my cup noodle.

What the fuck are they?

Rob-Bert

Re: A mystery

Post by Rob-Bert »

I always thought Cup Noodles were bad for your health. This is further proof.

WB
Drano Master

Post by WB »

Octopus droppings :D

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

It's a little patty made of dehydrated fish. I've heard it called Naruto before, I think that's where the anime gets its name.

Cup Noodle is disgusting.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So how do they get the swirl into it, then? And who thought to put it there in the first place? I would love to have been at the board meeting where some 4-foot tall, hunchback middle management Japanese salaryman stood up at the table and said, "I think from an aesthetic standpoint, it would be advantageous to have pink spirals on the dried fish nuggets in our product."

The stuff in the cups is actually okay, it's the stuff in the bags that tastes like salt and paper.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I have just been informed that they roll up two sheets of dyed fish paste together to make a sausage-like tube, and then they cut it into slices and that's how the swirls are made.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

You are full of useful information. I will mail you a nutsac pube as compensation.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I've been recently learning katakana and have been compounding kanjis I don't even know how to pronounce yet (since I don't even know how to read hiragana). What programs do you use? I've been using Wakan and Rikaichan.

Also, what the hell is up with all these radicals and their occasional touching radicals? As in, take the kanji 要. That's three radicals?! What the hell, it looks like two radicals to me. This is a stupidly difficult language and it should be boycotted.

BTW, GG!, while you're in Papau New Guinea, if you ever come across the Marvel Land soundtrack for cheap could you buy it for me? I'll compensate the labor if it's reasonable but if you agree to this you don't have to go out of your way to find it. I found one on Ebay but I'm not willing to shell out $25+$12 shipping for it and that doesn't even come with that... green paper thing that goes around it. I'm talking about this:

The one on Ebay

The one with the green paper thingy that I found on Yahoo Auctions Japan

I guess I'm such a completionist since I want that green thing to come with it too even though it's probably useless.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

There should be a primary radical in all cases, so really, there's only one radical you have to concern yourself with. In the example you gave, I think it's 女(onna). There are only two parts in that one, top and bottom. If the top were a whole radical (I honestly don't know off the top of my head) then it's a whole radical and there's only two, it doesn't matter if it can be broken down into more. That's a perfectly ordinary kanji you're showing there, nothing exceptional about it!

I use dictionary software from time to time (Jeffry's, usually) but for kanji reference really I just use a Nelson's dictionary. That's the structure most computer kanji dictionaries are going to be going by, so a familiarity with how its organized in paper can really help, even if digital is ultimately faster (and you can get FAST with a paper dictionary). I don't really even know what the programs you mentioned are for, so, don't know if that helps you or not. A real plus with the Nelson's in the case you mentioned is the Extraneous Radical Index, where you can look up any kanji by any radical, regardless of if it's the primary one for looking things up.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

That green thing is called an obi if I remember correctly. Just FYI. :)

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

Turns out you're right, some radicals are made out of other radicals (at least that's the impression I get, I could be wrong), so the top radical in the kanji I wrote is actually one radical and not a radical with another ugh I don't want to explain this.

Anyway, there are some that absolutely baffle me, like 気. I see two radicals, and I can identify the top one but not the x. I have never seen that radical before. Is it a combination of other radicals?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

This thread is becoming way too academic. Let's talk about poo.

Do octopi even poo? Biologically they must have to. What does it look like? Does it hang there in long columns like fish poo? Or is it like a jet of diarrhea?

Actually, I've always wondered what whale poo looks like. It must be huge. They never talk about that shit on the National Geographic channel.

Meat

Post by Meat »

I always thought the "x" was the katakana "me" (メ). Or do you mean to include some of the lines above it too?

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... whale-shit

Well, I'll never be able to look at the Weepies' cover art the same way again, thank you much.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Anyway, there are some that absolutely baffle me, like 気. I see two radicals, and I can identify the top one but not the x. I have never seen that radical before. Is it a combination of other radicals?
The radical on that one is the entire thing, minus the little "me" (メ) at the bottom. It's called an Enclosure Radical, and if there's an enclosure radical it is going to be the one you look up by every time, if there is one. In fact, the Me and No-Ichi (ノ一) are not radicals by themselves at all.

I am pretty sure that whales poop out a liquidy kind of poop that might also have their urine in it. If whale poop were like scaled up human poop it'd be washing ashore everywhere, and probably be its own underwater ecosystem, like floating coral or something. We'd be seeing science shows devoted entirely to the life forms dependent on its majesty.

Hey look Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suqCJEHX ... re=related

There's a rather large selection of scatological horrors on the related videos list.

Edit wow, I totally missed Dack's link :P

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Fun fact about tsunami's.

They're caused by whale farts.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

cjmcray wrote:Fun fact about tsunami's.

They're caused by whale farts.
Hey, what did GG! say about getting too academic?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

I think I have a crush on G. Silver.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Nice to know you get turned on by exposure to other species' dung.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Silv is whale poop?

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

It was either the links he posted to the poo or the exclamation of the enclosure radical. It'd be less awkward if it was the latter, but unfortunately, the former is far more common.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

You'll have to get in the line with the rest, I'm afraid!

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Cuckooguy wrote:I've been recently learning katakana and have been compounding kanjis I don't even know how to pronounce yet (since I don't even know how to read hiragana).
What's the big mystery about those? They're only syllabaries... unless I'm missing something.

Also, could the Dreamcast's swirl be related in any way to these, err, narutos?