Obscure Japanese Company I Don't Care About vs. Capcom

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Shadow Hog

Obscure Japanese Company I Don't Care About vs. Capcom

Post by Shadow Hog »

http://kotaku.com/5010122/capcom-vs-leg ... me-company

Well, it's nice to see another Vs. title coming, which hopefully will open the door for some of Capcom's more recent, post-MvC2 characters to make their fighting debut (as if MvC2 didn't have enough characters as it was). I mean, Phoenix Wright, Dante, Amaterasu, anyone from Power Stone (woefully neglected, innit?), maybe a Lost Planet dude, somebody from Onimusha, Mega Man ZX characters, blah blah blah blah blah... The problem is, who the hell is the other company? Never heard of them. Robotech, you say? Heard of it, but I don't know the first thing about it. Speed Racer might be more well-known amongst the Westerners, but I've never watched a single episode, so.

Oh well - it's a new Vs. cam, so regardless of how obscure some of these characters will be to Americans (or at least myself), at least it'll be fun.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

... Barring Bandai and Sunrise, Tatsunoko Production is THE mecha genre anime company... and Gatchaman/ G-Force. They sure are important, and this game instantly pwns that X Edge nonsense.

Actually, I'm having a stiffy right now by checking out Karas.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Re: Obscure Japanese Company I Don't Care About vs. Capcom

Post by Oompa Star »

Geez, what's next? Maybe a Capcom vs. Virtua Fighter or maybe a Capcom vs. Super Smash Bros? I'm surprised they haven't done a Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat yet.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Here is the full scan: http://blog-imgs-23.fc2.com/c/y/o/cyobin/IMGP1726.jpg

It looks like there's some discussion wheter the characters are sprite-based or polygon-based (there isn't much discussion to be had about the backgrounds). I could almost swear those are sprites, but you never can be sure with those small screenies.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

They're sprites, no question.

Anyways, I've never been too keen towards the fighting genre, but after having been introduced to Guilty Gear not long ago, I'm willing jump into this franchise. But, uh, does anyone recognize either of those two characters on the bottom row of that scan? And why do they both look identical to Speed Racer? Is this indicative of a pending trend?

Addendum: A quick Wikipedia search reveals that Tatsunoko also created Pizza Cats. I'm pretty fucking excited now.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

It looks like sprite characters on polygonal backgrounds.

It's too bad it probably won't come over here due to licensing issues...

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

does anyone recognize either of those two characters on the bottom row of that scan? And why do they both look identical to Speed Racer?
I know them both. Gatchaman was on US TV as Battle of the Planets, and Cashan: Robot Hunter had a recent live-action movie made (I didn't like it) but it's better-known in the US for the animated movie/OVA(?) that the SciFi channel ran repeatedly on their Saturday Anime segments. All these shows are well-known in Japan, but pretty old. These are the shows that Japanese kids who were in their mid to late teens when Street Fighter 2 hit the arcades would have been watching when they were little. So there's your demographic right there, this is total nostalgia fodder for guys in their 30s now.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

They're sprites, no question.
How do you know? Ryu's legs look kind of poly-ish in those awful photos of tiny screenshots on a glossy magazine.

Does the article mention what hardware this is on? I think this is way cooler than that Street Fighter 2 3D nonsense parading as Street Fighter 4.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Man, this sounds ridiculously cool just because I want to see what sort of moves Speed Racer and co. will get. I would totally fall out of my chair laughing if one of his moves involved running down an opponent in the Mach 5, a la Capt. Falcon.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Is it G-Force I see there? Yes! It is G-Force! Fuck yes! I hope there's Speed Racer there too.

And who's that guy on the far right? He sure reminds me of Viewtiful Joe, which could be a lot of fun to play with.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I think this is way cooler than that Street Fighter 2 3D nonsense parading as Street Fighter 4.
Yeah, I'd be more excited about SF4 if it was called Street Fighter 2: 3D version.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Opa-Opa wrote:And who's that guy on the far right? He sure reminds me of Viewtiful Joe, which could be a lot of fun to play with.
If my hunch is correct, it's a character called "Casshern" (or "Casshan", depending on who you're talking to).

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

I believe this opens up a whole new array of possibilities for future Vs. installments, like, say, Gonzo vs. Capcom, Shueisha vs. Capcom, Production I.G vs. Capcom, Shogakukan vs. Capcom, Pierrot vs. Capcom, Gainax vs. Capcom or DreamWorks vs. Capcom, among others.

I vote for a single "The whole international entertainment industry" vs. Capcom and leave it there.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

So I saw a few higher quality screenshots at /v/, and the characters are all 3D. :(

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

I was about to try and edit my previous post, but for some reason I can't, so here goes.

I think this would be as well-animated as Capcom vs. SNK 2 at best.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Green Gibbon! wrote:How do you know?
It's one of those things that you just know, y'know? Of course, I could still formulate a whole bunch of asinine points to back up my reasoning. Like, say, those two screenshots of Ryu getting schooled in midair (Bottom left, mid right) both feature him in the same exact pose, and I'm thinking it'd take some deliberate effort to capture two screenshots of a 3D model in the same exact frame like that. And the lighting on Casshern's dog looks a bit too stark for something 3D. Also, if it were all in 3D, Capcom would probably take advantage of that fact and shoot all of the screenshots from bizzare camera angles that wouldn't be replicable during normal gameplay, instead of at the standard camera distance and orientation.

Addendum: I first saw this topic just before going to school hours ago, so when I reopened my browser it took me to this page and I forgot to refresh it so I went ahead and typed this anyways and now it turns out that I was totally wrong but I felt like posting it anyway and now I don't even care about this game anymore. SF4's models look better than this!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Yeah, now I'm all depressed. Am I just being close-minded?

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Man that shit is fucking hideous looking. Another nail in the coffin of sprite based fighters I guess.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

... I really don't want to sound pessimistic either, but checking out the bottom of the scan, it reads "Capcom USA"...
The graphic effects still give me some hope, but that's as far as it gets.

Well, those were some pretty intense 24 or so hours!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Doesn't Capcom USA own the rights to the Street Fighter characters right now? Or something complicated like that?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Urg. Goddammit Capcom. It could still be fun playing with the guys from G-Force though. I hope there's Zillion in it.

WB
Drano Master

Post by WB »

I was wondering whether Speed Racer would be in this and given the movie resurgence it's probably a high possibility. The Gatchaman crew being in it is pretty awesome, plus it's always nice to see Rockman Dash represented.

Tatsunoko was huge back in the day so I imagine that a game like this is going to be a ginormous nostalgia fanwank for Japan. It's pretty much their "Marvel VS Capcom" more or less.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Personally, I'm curious as to what MegaMan character(s) would be plopped into this game. Would they go the route they went in the past VS. games (Classic MegaMan and Roll), or will they go for a character or two from the newer games, i.e. ZX and/or Star Force?

(Personally, I wouldn't mind ZX being represented, that series has a couple of damn awesome games in it.)

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I vote for a single "The whole international entertainment industry" vs. Capcom and leave it there.
It's been done already- in the form of a dumb, yet catchy little song.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Well now you have to sing us the song.

Or at least post a link or something...