NiGHTS into Dreams is coming to the PS2

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
aso

Re: NiGHTS into Dreams is coming to the PS2

Post by aso »

Just to note, this has been asked before (prior to the release of JoD) and the answer then was "no" (as well as an entirely superfluous comment on the quality of the game).

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Mastiff, XSeed, UFO, NISA are great, but none seem to carry the weight Atlus does (infact, outside of Mastiff, I've never heard of those other three; unless NISA is Nippon Icchi).
Yep, NISA is Nippon Ichi Software America. XSEED was handed the Wild ARMs games, the Brave Story PSP game and the Hajime no Ippo Wii one.
Mastiff, on the other hand, removed every single Christian-like cross and cigarettes from La Pucelle, and basically ruined GunGrave Overdose with a hideous English dub.

But yeah, there're way more reasons to publish this title than not to, there's practically no need for an adaption of any kind, and there IS people willing to get it.

EDIT: Oh, Sayckeone loevs teh cockz!
I mean, not only games like Ape Escape/ Saru! Get You! have been published by different companies, but he also knows jack shit about good games.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Isuka wrote:Yep, NISA is Nippon Ichi Software America. XSEED was handed the Wild ARMs games, the Brave Story PSP game and the Hajime no Ippo Wii one.
XSEED also particially had a hand in funding Wild ARMS 5 when Sony gave up on the series.
Mastiff, on the other hand, removed every single Christian-like cross and cigarettes from La Pucelle, and basically ruined GunGrave Overdose with a hideous English dub.
And yet they brought us Falcom's PSP port of Gurumin without any major cuts or changes other than an English dub as far as I know.
BlazeHedgehog wrote: I'm sure it's all a matter of perspective, but it's clear to me why something like Tales of Fandom stayed in Japan.
I'm not talking about Namco not bringing Tales of Fandom here. I'm talking about why Namco won't bring Tales of Destiny Remake(PS2), Tales of Destiny 2(PS2/PSP), Tales of Rebirth(PS2/PSP), and other canonical Tales of games that we missed out on. I'm surprised we got a dang spin-off dungeon crawler(Tales of the World:Radiant Mythology).
Ys had it's shot at the American market already and apparently wasn't worthy of sticking around (I recall reviews being pretty mixed). I've never played a Ys game myself, so I probably don't "get it", though.
Ys were either regulated to un-popular systems here in the U.S.(Ys & Ys II) or the un-popular entries were brought here on successful systems(Ys III, Ys VI). Konami of America handled Ys VI pretty poorly by changing the graphics around, giving us a poor dub, and hardly advertising the game. Though with the last part, to be fair, the series is already a niche one--even in Japan seeing that Falcom establishes it as a PC game with other companies handling the console ports. PC gaming is pretty unpopular in Japan, and yet the best incarnations of the franchise are on the PC. The next Ys release is the DS remake of Books I & II and I. While the game's fate in America is undecided, I have a feeling that Atlus, XSEED, etc. would most likely bring out that game to America, before NiGHTS PS2.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

I can't remember if anyone posted it before, but there's this SEGA Direct custom page with info about the separate Nightopia Dreampack and DX pack (and the combo), as well as the standard edition and the THREE DISC OST which includes every single track of the former one.

Also... it's kind of unrelated, but while doing some random image searching, I found these:

http://mildsalt.blog112.fc2.com/
http://turikich.hp.infoseek.co.jp/index.html

Cool find of the week.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

i can has nights tee-shatsu

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Those shirts are nice. I would totally want one if I was big into Nights.

Speaking of gaming shirts, I sure wish it wasn't the style to wear sail sized t-shirts when I was younger. My XL Dreamcast shirt looks a little ridiculous on me now-a-days.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Those shirts are incredibly gay looking.

I still want one.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

So I've been playing it for 20 minutes or so. Quite ironically, the Sega Saturn mode (virtually equivalent to the original) is a fair bit easier on the eyes, the massive amount of detail in the Brand New Dream mode can get almost baroque-like, but it's probably a matter of time until I get used to it (of course, bosses look way better in BND). You can only jump/ drill dash with the X and Circle buttons and do tricks/ brake with the four shoulder buttons. The CG movies look a little better than they did in the Saturn and the widescreen mode is pretty sucky.
The Gallery includes a Kyoko Inukai illustration, some plushies shots (with guest appearances of Akira, Pai, Sarah, Honey, Lisa, Sir Hog and some guy from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure) and an interview that, along with the Memory Card access screens and game hints, are the only Japanese-written contents in the game so far.

Oh, here's a nice JoD keyholder too.
And yeah, the t-shirts are completely queer.

EDIT: Beating the game in Sega Saturn Dream will bring the original staff roll, and beating it in BND shows the new one. All the remake's code monkeys are chinks!!

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

Been playing it, too. I own a copy of the original NiGHTs and a Sega Saturn to play it on, but I never got farther than the third stage for either character. Granted, I didn't invest as much time in it as I probably should have. Nevertheless, pick up and play after all these years was like riding a bike, and I finally progressed to the 4th stage.

I shat a brick when Claris took to the sky. I wasn't expecting that.

Getting A ranks is going to be a pain. Also, I noticed some slowdown in Frozen Bell in Brand New Dream mode. That sucked.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Is it me or did the acrobatics got nerfed on this game? they are not infintite like before, they "break" easily like on JoD or even worst than JoD. shame.

Reala is playable in Spring Valley like he was in Christmas Nights, just set the PS2 clock to April 9. Neat thing I found was that Reala can fight any boss now, not just Gilwing.

Nights as a Boss is the hotness

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

So, who's door are we going to have to pound down to get this damned thing released here?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

IIzuka said there were no plans to bring it here, and considering the mixed reaction JoD got I don't imagine he's too keen to trot the original back out and invite the obvious comparison between a classic that does everything right and a sequel that does so much so very, very wrong.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Pepperidge wrote:So, who's door are we going to have to pound down to get this damned thing released here?
I say EVERYONE'S.

I also found the game has some slowdown when the screen gets too busy, not only in Frozen Bell but also in Stick Canyon. Thankfully it goes away as quickly as it started.
They indeed messed around a little with the tricks; you don't perform the same trick by pushing a particular direction and pressing R1 or R2, each one will result in different tricks being executed, and I'm totally unable to get anything beyond a Marvelous Nine so they also probably tweaked the recovering time or something (though I'm also unable to get an A rank everywhere but Mystic Forest and Twin Seeds, mainly because I suck at most bosses). You can even perform different tricks by pressing L1 and L2 or R1 and R2 simultaneously.

Is it me, or some of the Christmas NiGHTS extras are missing? I'm not getting Sonic the Hedgehog into Dreams...

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Yep, no present screen means no Sonic it seems, we are lucky we got REALA.

Also...NO 2P versus.

I give this game a 7/10...it looks pretty but its missing out some stuff and messed up tricks makes the gameplay dull and clunky. :/

I wished this game surpassed the original i really did, It seems I wont be able to put away my saturn yet. :/

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

I played through the thing straight today, all A ranks (no troubles there), Christmas Nights, galleries, movies, all of it. It's damn near perfect. The fact that the Nightopian monitor is on the same disc as the game with all the Nightopians in it makes it infinitely more useful, and I'll gladly give up a shallow 2 player vs. mode for graphics this rich and vibrant. They're absolutely gorgeous in motion, and I think I might play through it again tomorrow just to see them. I would've liked Sonic thrown in as well, but to be honest he didn't really add much- he was basically Claris or Elliot shot up with amphetamines six ways from Sunday, and while he was really cool at the time, now that he's got his own (admittedly terrible) 3D series it's not quite as big a deal anymore. I'm not justifying his getting cut, but I just don't think it detracts all that much. This game reminded me of why I loved NiGHTS in the first place, and has me appreciating it in entirely new ways. I love it.

A few notes: that fucking tower in Stick Canyon is infinitely more navigable thanks to to the graphical overhaul. You can actually see the crap above you before you run into it! Crazy, right!? Also, all of the menu text is in English, so if you're able to play imports, I'd say go ahead and order it up right quick. The Nightopians really do look better than their JoD counterparts, and the Wizeman battle is really epic now that the stones aren't made of gifs. Finally, the loops actually dissolve as you pass through them in the direction you're moving in a relly crisp, watery way that makes them look really cool. Actually, most of the graphical upgrades are really top notch!

I ordered the Dream Pack, and the art book that comes with it is not only gorgeous, but is actually a storybook filled with completely new and original art! I don't think it's meant for children (despite its appearance) since there's almost no furigana to be found anywhere in the thing- and there's a lot of text! It follows the story of NiGHTS and Elliot, and has 24 illustrations on the pages opposite the text. Many of them spill over into the text pages, and a few are even two-page spreads. The book is really wonderful, and it's seriously one of the best game pack-ins I've ever seen. All very slick, with many little touches to make it feel like a really complete piece of art.

The Chinese outsourcing staff make up pretty much all of the development team, while Japanese names only start appearing under marketing and advertising headers. This confirms my continuing theory of Sonic Team game development: keep games the hell away from Sonic Team. They will be great!

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I repeat, the game is almost perfect, the only thing that takes away from it is that the acrobatics got nerfed.

Like you said, Sonic is not in it, but at least everything else is! and April 1 Reala can fight all bosses even NIGHTS!!, it is a must buy! I just loved the smooth and infinite acrobatics of the original, so if you don't care about them, get this game now!

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

It's funny, but until their usefulness during an acro-loop sequence was pointed out to me during my time with the remake I almost never used the acrobatics except after a boss fight while waiting for the score to tally up. It never really presented me with any problems in getting A ranks, and I couldn't really see why you'd use them in the majority of the gameplay at all- the fact that they've been changed really had very little effect on my experience. Are they similarly changed up in the original version included on the disc?

Also I never got any of the slowdown mentioned in this thread. Crazy.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

It's kind of inconsistent, it doesn't necessarily show up all the time at the same place.

Though I noticed that the acrobatics were "tweaked", I definitely don't consider them an integral part of the experience, not even the gameplay itself. That was just Dasher being overly dramatic about some random thing.
I believe that got changed while doing the porting job, so it's probably the same thing with both BND and SSD.

... Care to upload the art book? :P

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

The book uploads can be found at nightsintodreams.com, and cant believe you guys dont care about the acrobatics! they were the icing on the cake, some people geesh!

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Got my copy too. I somehow really suck at Stick Canyon now :)

It's a great port really. Nice to see some clearer FMV in the game.

I'm playing it on my works' Debug PS3 since I don't have a mod chipped PS2 :(

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

What's a debug PS3? can it run any region PS2 game? I would love to have one of those if that's the case...

I'm still waiting for my shipment -.-

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

just get the swap card if youre not lazy.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

OK, since this probably isn't going to get a North American release, I think I'll cave and import it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that after PS2 is phased out, Sony will allow region-free PS2 playback on PS3 software. In the meantime, however, I need to know what the easiest way to get the game running on my PS2 would be. I'm going to guess that modding is pretty much required no matter what?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Pepperidge wrote:I'm keeping my fingers crossed that after PS2 is phased out, Sony will allow region-free PS2 playback on PS3 software.
First, they need to re-allow PS2 playback on PS3 hardware in general. I doubt they're simply going to throw a bone to the early adopters in this regard.