Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

Re: Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, but again - Metroid series has three recurring characters in the whole thing. And one of those is a stationary giant brain in a jar.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

I'm pretty sure Japan likes Metroid..... just not the Prime games which were made by Retro Studios...

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Ngangbius wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_be ... franchises

I don't see Star Fox charting here, but I do see the Metroid franchise moved 13 million units.
That's probably because there have been 11 Metroid titles, and only 5 Starfox titles. Of those eleven Metroid games, I thought Prime 1 is the only one that's ever sold more than 1.5 million units, but I was wrong... the original Metroid sold nearly 3 million! Still, with Metroid and Metroid Prime counting for nearly 6 of those 13 million units, it gives you some idea of how well the other 9 Metroid games sold.

Anyhow, as for Starfox... the original sold 3 million, Starfox 64 sold 4 million, and Starfox Adventures sold 1.8 million. So I guess no Metroid game has ever outperformed Starfox 64. But I have a feeling the other two Starfox games, Command and Assault, didn't sell very well. So maybe the two series are not as far apart in popularity as I thought...

One thing is for sure, though... Japan freaking hates Metroid. The only two in the series that even did decently were the original and Super Metroid. Even the GBA games tanked over there. But yeah, I'm pretty sure they hate Starfox just as much.

Smilie

Post by Smilie »

page 69 lawlz

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Here's when we start with the "crossover-shipping" thing, right?
I think a good chunk of the original Metroid's sales might count the rereleases, ain't sure if that's a really accurate figure for the original release.

Also, I'd appreciate it if Sakurai rounded up the number to 50, just to have a minimal chance of seeing both Viewtiful Joe and Klonoa here.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Whoops. Game was leaked. Starting roster is apparently 21 characters: Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Diddy, Zelda, Pit, Meta-Knight, Pokemon Trainer, Ike, Peach, Yoshi, Ice Climbers, King Dedede, Bowser, Wario, Captain Olimar, and Lucas.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Esrever wrote:

I don't see Star Fox charting here, but I do see the Metroid franchise moved 13 million units.
Anyhow, as for Starfox... the original sold 3 million, Starfox 64 sold 4 million, and Starfox Adventures sold 1.8 million. So I guess no Metroid game has ever outperformed Starfox 64. But I have a feeling the other two Starfox games, Command and Assault, didn't sell very well. So maybe the two series are not as far apart in popularity as I thought...
If the Star Fox did as well as you say it did then it would have made the "sold more than 5 million" section reguardless of how many games are in the series, however it's absent. The Halo franchise has fewer entries than either Nintendo games and apparently sold more units than either combined.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Zeta wrote:Whoops. Game was leaked.
It was? Where?

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I don't think it's been leaked as such but there's at least 1 person claiming to have the game.

EDIT: Video of the character select screen. Seems real but it's really poor quality.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Except we've also seen Petey Piranha and Rayquaza.
Yeah, and those two would fit right in as playable characters, what with being half the size of a stage.

1) R.O.B is a recognizable Nintendo character who's been an unlockable before.
2) He has multiple attacks.
3) He's the same size as the playable characters.
4) He has the same WTF factor as Mr. Game and Watch, which is why a lot of people are flipping out that he can't possibly be playable just in the same way as they did over him.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Ngangbius wrote:
Esrever wrote:

If the Star Fox did as well as you say it did then it would have made the "sold more than 5 million" section reguardless of how many games are in the series, however it's absent. The Halo franchise has fewer entries than either Nintendo games and apparently sold more units than either combined.
That article says right at the very beginning that it is not a complete list. I guess old school hardcore Metroid fans are more interested in keeping wikipedia up to date. Oldschool hardcore Starfox fans are probably too busy crying.

You can get sales figures for a lot of old games from VG chartz:
http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?nam ... st+Updated

VGchartz's figures for newer titles are pretty bogus, because they basically just make them up, estimating based on a very small core sales sample. But they always update the figures to match the NPD/Media Create sales charts once the official numbers are released, so their data for older games is pretty solid.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

I don't trust VGChartz for older game data either. I mean that is one of the few sites banned from the sales-age craziness that is neoGAF. XD

In other news, Sakurai in a recent interview reveals the 'super secret dev team' who developed this game.

It's Game Arts. Yes, that same Game Arts who developed the Lunar and Grandia games. ...huh?

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/ssbb/vol1_page1.jsp

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

hey maybe this gives Justin a shot? As an AT or something? If I were Gamearts I'd indulge in a little self service.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Well looks like the full version of the Angel Island Zone remix can be finally heard.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, so I will. Taking advantage of Sonic's rich history, Jun announced on Christmas Day 2K7 (no intended put to Take Two's sports games, which are franchises SEGA used to own) that True Blue: the Best of Sonic the Hedgehog will be released in Japan on January 22. He also wants this to be a North America and Europe release, although it's unknown if that's going to happen. Regardless, here's the track list that was released last week.

01. LIVE & LEARN
02. IT DOESN'T MATTER (SA2 Version)
03. ESCAPE FROM THE CITY
04. HIS WORLD
05. SUPER SONIC RACING
06. SONIC - YOU CAN DO ANYTHING (from Sonic CD JAP)
07. SONIC BOOM
08. SONIC SPEED RIDERS
09. RACE TO WIN (I don't know what game this is from)
10 SONIC X THEME (I'm presuming SONIC DRIVE, not Gotta Go Fast)
11. RIGHT THERE, RIDE ON
12. SONIC HEROES
13 WHAT I'M MADE OF...
14. SEVEN RINGS IN HAND
15. HIS WORLD (Zebrahead Version)
16 IT DOESN'T MATTER (SA1 Version)
17. OPEN YOUR HEART
- Bonus Tracks -
18 A NEW VENTURE (Surfin' S.R.A. Remix)
19. ANGEL ISLAND ZONE (SSBB Remix)
20. SEVEN RINGS IN HAND (Crush 40 Version?!?)
21 OPEN YOUR HEART (Crush 40 vs. Bentley Jones Remix)

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Edgerock wrote:Well looks like the full version of the Angel Island Zone remix can be finally heard.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet.....
Actually, it was mentioned.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Ngangbius wrote:
Edgerock wrote:Well looks like the full version of the Angel Island Zone remix can be finally heard.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet.....
Actually, it was mentioned.
Whoops. My apologies. I suppose some of these songs will be part of Sonic's My Music...

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I must say, I'll miss the vibrant colors of the NON-DESERT Mushroom Kingdom--but this is a scrolling stage I feel I can actually ENJOY. :mrgreen:

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Damn that angry sun.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Ditto'd. Anyway, it's going to be another stage that will be "banned" in "competitive play", just one of many reasons why I will like playing on it. I have to say that it's an interesting tweak to the design, I like it.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Love the new Super Mario Bros. theme arrangement. Very classy.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

New Trailer.... again.

http://topicscollector.blog55.fc2.com/b ... -2815.html

http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x45cdj

Use this if first link doesn't work.
Last edited by Edgerock on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Holy crap Sonic can jump. He's like a little rocket.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Totally digging that Latin-y guitar mix of the SSBB theme on the new commercials.