Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Re: Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Post by Ritz »

Edgerock wrote:.... Wavedashing is no longer confirmed to be in the game >_>... and the competitive Smashers only make a minority of the fans of Smash. You think every person who plays Smash Bros aspires to be the best at it?
Point, but the players who aspire to be the best at it are going to be the ones who play it most. I'd bet my bibby that for every 4-6 matches you play, there'll be at least one tourneyfag naysayer to complicate the game setting polls at the start of every match. Which, in retrospect, probably won't be much of an issue, but the grime is still there.

Mep

Post by Mep »

It just wouldn't be online play without annoying asshats though. It would be the same as adolescents all picking the same characters and voting out any items that aren't completely overpowered.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Crazy Penguin wrote:
Hugs: Call me a purist or whatever, but I don't think any of these items should be enabled in tournament play. Some are viable for tournaments, but we'd be better off without them, period. And don't get me started on the Smash Balls. They were incredibly fun, but they have no place in tournament play. You should have seen my ledgehop to Final Smash finish. Incredible.
This is why anal rape and lynching should be encouraged in certain situations.
At least I find relief in the fact that, from all the people Sakurai trolls, he trolls tourneyfags the most with these additions and mechanics.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

GAMES ARE NOT FOR FUNN!!!

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

What, pray tell, would you do differently? Sakurai has already stated that the characters will play differently than their melee predecessors, the controls have been changed up a bit, and all other features seem to be tweaked or overhauled. The reason why it looks like Melee gameplay-wise is because it should, melee's control scheme was perfect as far as I could tell, and there is no need to try and "fix it"
It's not that I think this will be a bad game or that it needed fixing really. I expect to be every bit as entertaining as its predecessor. I'm sure it will be loads of fun and provide many a bombastic friday evening with friends. It's just that you know almost exactly what to expect(the dojo updates really do nothing to preserve the mystique here). You've played it before and I feel that most people are going to realize this after playing only for 5 minutes. Again, the only thing I'm arguing against is the immensity of the hype and excitement built up behind it. Sure, this is going to be a damn fun game, but is it really worth shitting your pants with anticipation about?

Although who am I to be telling people what to be excited about? After all I was excited shitless about PSO ver. 2. More that I was wondering if anyone felt the way I did about it.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

What the heck is wave dashing?

Mep

Post by Mep »

It was a cheap way to fake out an opponent by airdodging across the ground before you finish a jump. As wavedashing was fast and allowed people to go through an opponent, it made rolling useless. You can also charge a smash attack while retaining momentum this way. As a result, most competitive battles consist of two players sliding across the stage doing ground-humping animations.

It's actually kind of fun.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

there's no way that name is canon. Sounds like vector dashing in Virtual On. Also a fan made maneuver.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

You mean fan-named maneuver, right? Dash Vectoring is pretty critical to VO, it ought to be included in the game manual!

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

agreed but it wasn't in the manuel. And therefore does not actually exist. Buahahahaha!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Added coda to Olimar's Final Smash. Besides being unavoidable - much like Kirby's, after the Bulborbs are done raping you, his ship crashes into the middle of the stage to do extra damage. Olimar is my hero. Too bad Louie wasn't driving the ship for extra hilarity and fanservice.

Smilie

Post by Smilie »

BUT LOUIE DRIVES A DIFFERENT SHIP IT'S CANONICALLY INACCURATE

Smilie

Post by Smilie »

Radrappy wrote:agreed but it wasn't in the manuel. And therefore does not actually exist. Buahahahaha!
Manuel?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I know nahh-theeng.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

BUT LOUIE DRIVES A DIFFERENT SHIP IT'S CANONICALLY INACCURATE
No, actually the ship in his Final Smash is the Pikmin 2 ship, not the Dolphin . . .

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Cool, Im glad to see Sheik back, This game never fails to amaze.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

You're amazed an old character is returning?

Also, loads of ignorance with regards to "tourneyfags" going on here. Its not like these people don't play for fun. Its just that when they go to a tournament, they want to play a game based on skill, not on whose character has the most overpowered Final Smash or who gets lucky/unlucky with a totally random bob-omb spawn. There's usually a fair chunk of money involved in these tournaments, so you can't really blame them.

Plus maybe, shock horror, some people have a different opinion to you and think that playing competitively is more fun than playing matches with lots of random shit? Personally, I go with either style. They're both fun.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I hear you! Honestly I wish other games were so flexible. Maybe if I could turn off that bloody blue shell I wouldn't hate the newer Mario Karts so much.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I like the blue shell in multiplayer. It has no business being used in single player though, and if you were playing multiplayer seriously competitively, yeah. Shouldn't be there either. Such an obvious "revenge" weapon is intended for low-level players, the computer and competitive gamers should be beyond such things.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Hybrid wrote:Its just that when they go to a tournament, they want to play a game based on skill, not on whose character has the most overpowered Final Smash or who gets lucky/unlucky with a totally random bob-omb spawn.
Great idea, wrong game. This game's concept is about as fair and competitive as MvC2, which is borderline zero. Crippling the game for that effect sure sounds pointless, but whatever... have it your way.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Zeta wrote:Added coda to Olimar's Final Smash. Besides being unavoidable - much like Kirby's, after the Bulborbs are done raping you, his ship crashes into the middle of the stage to do extra damage. Olimar is my hero. Too bad Louie wasn't driving the ship for extra hilarity and fanservice.
I think "End of Day" is probably my new favorite Final Smash in the whole game (apart from Super Sonic), just for the rampant Bulborb-humping alone. It gives me an excuse to practice my "girly Homer Simpson scream" any time I would get caught in it.

And all this discussion about "tourneyfags" is reminding me strongly of Encyclopedia Dramatica's article on the SSB series.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Playing Smash Bros. for a competitive game based on skill is absolutely retarded because the game wasn't designed with that in mind. Play a real technical fighter and stop trying to pretend a party game with thousands of random elements and clear character tiers is one.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

G.Silver wrote:I like the blue shell in multiplayer. It has no business being used in single player though, and if you were playing multiplayer seriously competitively, yeah. Shouldn't be there either. Such an obvious "revenge" weapon is intended for low-level players, the computer and competitive gamers should be beyond such things.
The thing that drives me nuts about the Blue Shell is that it's only given to the people in the last places, but it only hurts the person in 1st place (well, them and whoever else is near them). So effectively, it just gives the 8th place player the ability to make the 2nd place player win. What's the point of that? It doesn't help the person firing it at all, plus it randomly punishes the person in first for being good at the game. In Double Dash's 1P mode, it got so bad that I started deliberately holding myself in second place and only pulling into the lead in the last lap, since it was the person in second who always won anyhow.

They should can the blue shell and replace it with the old lightning bolt. The bolt was great because it actually helped the person firing it move ahead a few places... and because it punished all the other players equally, instead of arbitrarily assisting the people in second or third place.

As for Smash Bros, it's simpler than most other fighters, but I don't see why that would prohibit competitive play. Sure the roster is unbalanced, but isn't that true in basically all fighting games? I can understand the desire to remove the more random aspects of the game if you wanted to play some more definitively skill-determined matches, and obviously so can the designers, since they give you the option to do just that.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Great idea, wrong game. This game's concept is about as fair and competitive as MvC2, which is borderline zero.
Your theory falls flat when you realize that Smash Bros. has been one of the most popular competitive fighters for about five years now. If you think there's a "borderline zero" competitive aspect to the game, then I'm afraid you really don't have much of a clue about how Smash Bros. can be played by people who really know what they're doing.
Playing Smash Bros. for a competitive game based on skill is absolutely retarded because the game wasn't designed with that in mind. Play a real technical fighter and stop trying to pretend a party game with thousands of random elements and clear character tiers is one.
I'm sorry? Its completely idiotic to claim that Smash Bros. isn't a "real fighter" just because it doesn't have ten-button combos, hi/low/mid attacks and whatnot. What it doesn't have in that department it more than makes up for in other areas; The freedom of movement and almost platformer-esque arenas and abilities being notable differences that make Smash Bros. quite different to the usual beat-em-up but in no way less strategical. The "thousands of random elements" can be limited to "practically no random elements" by simply switching off items and not playing on stages that throw obstacles at you. Which brings us back to the original point that doing so "takes the fun out of the game" which is just people getting butthurt because, unbelievably, some people enjoy the game in a different way than you do.

Also, every fighting game ever has clear-cut character tiers. Ever.

Surely even the most arrogant of you can accept that competitive Smash isn't a retarded concept based on the evidence that its been wildly popular in competitive gaming circles for a long, long time.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The freedom of movement and almost platformer-esque arenas and abilities being notable differences that make Smash Bros. quite different to the usual beat-em-up but in no way less strategical.
But you turn off the plat former arenas because they're "unbalanced" . . .

Surely even the most arrogant of you can accept that competitive Smash isn't a retarded concept based on the evidence that its been wildly popular in competitive gaming circles for a long, long time.
Popular doesn't equal good.