Sonic Rush Adventure E3 thread

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

My point was that it was marketed better than Sonic when he said nothing was. It simply isn't true. This has nothing to do with people not wanting the game.

I don't remember seeing Shenmue 2 parts in the Saturn video, just the first one. Shenmue 2 was also technically supposed to be 3, I think, since they just skipped over the boat part(which probably wouldn't have sucked like 2 did).

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Yeah, 'cause sitting around on a boat doing nothing that has anything to do with anything would be soooooo great.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Chapter 2 is basically just Ryo saving a woman and her kid from Chai, who makes his appearance on the ship for a final battle. It would be pretty anticlimatic to end Shenmue I there rather than when the boat set sail, and it wouldn't make much sense starting Shenmue II from there. Then again, having the lady and her child thank Ryo out of nowhere right at the start of Shenmue II didn't make much sense either.
Kogen wrote:I don't remember seeing Shenmue 2 parts in the Saturn video, just the first one.
Xiuying was one of the first characters to be designed, so I wouldn't be surprised if the video had footage of Ryo and her around the Man Mo Temple or such.

Yeah, you can stop staring at me now.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Neo wrote:Chapter 2 is basically just Ryo saving a woman and her kid from Chai, who makes his appearance on the ship for a final battle. It would be pretty anticlimatic to end Shenmue I there rather than when the boat set sail, and it wouldn't make much sense starting Shenmue II from there. Then again, having the lady and her child thank Ryo out of nowhere right at the start of Shenmue II didn't make much sense either.
Like I said, doing nothing that has anything to do with anything.
Kogen wrote:I don't remember seeing Shenmue 2 parts in the Saturn video, just the first one.
There is footage of Xiuying, Ren, Wong, and Shenhua in the Saturn video. Plus plank-walking and helping the fawn in the Guilin forest.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Can't be as boring as moving boxes around in a fork lift for an entire part of the game. They could easily have spiced it up with pirates, octopii, and tidal waves. Since I thought the second game was crap compared to the first, I'd have preferred anything different.

Dynamite Deka 2 proved how awesome saving girls on a boat could be.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

That boat idea sounds like your typical filler material. I can see why Suzuki skipped it... that and the red numbers, of course.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

The boat scene was illustrated in one of the Shenmue mangas, which you could unlock by taking pictures of certain characters in the X-Box version.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Kogen wrote:Uh, no dipshite. They even paid a game program here to do a 20 minute episode about Shenmue a while before it was released. That's better marketing than most games. Plus a lot of their big games had commercials for Genesis and Dreamcast.
Dude,Im saying that they didnt just do a lot of adds, an animated short can totaly make people dont buy the game. Im still afraid of that year where Nintendo here did a whole year of Super Donkey Kong adds that have you tricks for the game...

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Arcade, wouldn't you like a warm cup...

And, barring an "animated short" (that would be, five minutes of actual gameplay footage) of STH360, I don't think anyone'd be put down and not play the game in question. At least not much more than your average gaming ad.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Ok, going back on topic, I liked this game more than Sonic Rush...ad thats something I think.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I'd just like to note this game kicked all kinds of ass. The 16 extra stages, the missions, and some kick-ass bosses (particularly Sky Babylon and Haunted Ship's).

Also, seeing two characters with goofy Austrailian and piratey accents talk to eachother is hilarious. "Shrimp on the barbie g'day walkabout shiela?" "Yar! Keelhaul treasure plank swashbuclke yar!"

I finished the main story in only in two days, though. I really wish sometimes they would wait three years and release all of their handhelds on one system together as one big game instead of a trilogy of smaller games. : /

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Yeah, I just finished the game as well and I was absolutely floored by how much fun I had with it. The extra stages were particularly surprising in both quality and quantity. And the snowboarding stage was awesome. I mean, they actually took something from the Genesis titles and improved on it! Wild!

I skipped every single bit of the story, too. It was great!

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

What exactly does upgrading your vehicles do? I haven't noticed any changes and I've upgraded everything at least once.

Also, racing Johny is a bitch. A fun bitch, but a bitch nonetheless.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I'm fairly certain it has something to do with "replay value".

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

It makes racing Johnny less of a bitch. I was rather annoyed to find that after pushing myself as hard as I could it turned out all I needed to beat the last couple races was the first ship upgrade. I figured I was doing something wrong, but I guess it's just not possible? Was anyone able to do it without upgrading?

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I upgraded the jetski once. Racing Johnny was, as was said, a fun bitch. Then I come to find I could upgrade it a second time, which makes the whole thing stupid-easy.

(PS - Off-topic, but holy Christ, I almost let a Thanksgiving break go by without giving Alice's Restaurant a complete spin. Shame on me.)

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

G.Silver wrote:It makes racing Johnny less of a bitch. I was rather annoyed to find that after pushing myself as hard as I could it turned out all I needed to beat the last couple races was the first ship upgrade. I figured I was doing something wrong, but I guess it's just not possible? Was anyone able to do it without upgrading?
Yeah, I got all of them without upgrading, after way too many attempts in the later races. I actually got the 7th emerald second. I didn't realise that you could get the emeralds out of order at the time, for a moment I thought there was just an incredibly unfair difficulty curve.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Well, I’m playing “Sonic Rush” again after doing like 80% of “Sonic Rush Adventure”, and really, I had forgot how annoying where Cream& Chao in the boss battles. I lost three times in a row in one of the boss battles until I turned the sound off. Damn you Cream&Chao combo!. So yeah Adventure is cool... I just hope that if they do a sequel then don’t screw it...

And since The “Super” battle in Adventure sucks, what do you thing is the best “Super” battle in a Sonic game?

sonicobsessive516

Post by sonicobsessive516 »

I haven't played Sonic Rush yet... but Rush Adventure looks good, makes me want to get a DS.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Rush Adventure was good, but I'm not sure it's DS-dealbreaker good. Although I did play it so much when I bought it I mildly injured my thumb.

I want to say you'll find plenty out there to fill the void, but is it just me, or did the DS hit a bit of a dry spell recently? I mean, the thing used to be like a little Dreamcast with EBA, Meteos, the new Mario game, all that jazz... now all I read about are knockoffs of Brain Age knockoffs.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, the accursed minigame blight has hit the system very hard.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

What about Zelda:PH or MegaMan ZX Advent?

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Many people say Phantom Hourglass is the shit, but it's also sinfully easy.

On the other hand, ZX Advent looks like it's more of the same, which wasn't <i>so</i> great to begin with.

Zeta

Re: Sonic Rush Adventure E3 thread

Post by Zeta »

You do get 14 motherfucking transformations though, which seems pretty awesome.

And I would get Phantom Hourglass, except I heard the plot sucks and doesn't even do what it should/what you would expect: An Evil PLANT tries to take over the world and they don't even find a new landmass to refound Hyrule on at the end of the motherfucking game.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: Sonic Rush Adventure E3 thread

Post by FlashTHD »

Zeta wrote:You do get 14 motherfucking transformations though, which seems pretty awesome.
Most of which are shit worthless after one point or another?

I tried to convince myself to be interested in ZXA, but around the time of the jap release I concluded that the first one wasn't good enough to keep me buying.