A Sonic RPG from Bioware---wait...WHAT!?!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Arcade

Post by Arcade »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:
Anon wrote:I suppose that Luigi (and Waluigi by vague association) would count as well, but yeah, I think that's about it. Even if there are any more, they'd be limited to one game, so it's not really worth mentioning.
Don't forget Boshi from Super Mario RPG.
And Metal Mario, appears in the Smash bross series…does it count?

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

No, that's just Mario with the metal cap, isn't it?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Pretty much.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

In SSB1 you fight a metal Mario and Luigi where it never wears off. That might be what he's thinking of.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

You fight them in one of Melee's one-player modes too.
Last edited by gr4yJ4Y on Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Also, he/it appeared in some Tetris spin-off (Dr. Mario 64) and one of the golf games as an unlockable character.

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

Yeah, but it's still Mario. Think of it like Super Sonic being a seperate character in Sonic Shuffle. (I think he is, at least.)

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

No Sonic RPG love at E3? What a disappointment. As much as I’m looking forward to Sonic Rush Adventure I’m more eager to know more about this game.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

They must be still guessing which RPG style is more aggravating for a Sonic game.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Like a slow rpg? Or using a Final Fantasy style of engine? I can’t wait to be disappointed!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Of course it wasn't at e3! They only just started working on it! :)

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Leipzig Gaming Conference or TGS teaser then?

Believe!

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/07/qa- ... -spea.html

A new interview, pretty much full of the same questions and answers as you'd expect at this stage. However, there's a few lines in this one that make me feel a bit more confident, the wording of this segment in particular:
We plan on taking those core Sonic elements that fans love about games and incorporating them into a brand new adventure that will feature the best of both worlds: all the fast-paced action of Sonic, plus a deep and engaging storyline that will keep players on the edge of their seats. By staying true to those Sonic elements that fans are already familiar with, and injecting our own unique BioWare flavor, we plan to make that transition as smooth and exciting as possible.
Also, this sentence gives me a little more hope too:
people don’t tend to spend quite as many hours in a row on the DS as they would when playing a BioWare game for console or PC, so gamers can expect the Sonic RPG to not only be fast-paced, but very easy to pick up and play at length or in shorter bursts – whichever they prefer!
I'm not the world's biggest RPG fan, and it kind of implies that this game might not feel quite as slow and difficult to get into as I had worried. Anyway, discuss or don't discuss I guess.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Uh, it still sounds like vague Press Release material to me.

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

Despite knowing nothing much about this game it's easily my most eagerly anticipated Sonic game in a while. Actually it’s probably because I don’t know anything about it other than the fact Sonic Team aren’t cobbling it together.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Cuckooguy wrote:Uh, it still sounds like vague Press Release material to me.
Kind of an unfair dismissal when it addresses the speed/RPG ratio very thing people have been proclaiming this game dead on arrival over.

Come on, this is Bioware, not Sonic Team. Being overtly pessimistic just makes you look dumb.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Any and all information put out about this game right now is basically a furthering of the original press release. It's pointless to report on, because there's, well, nothing to new to talk about. They're just doing what they're paid to do: generate hype by saying nothing. And who can blame them! That doesn't mean we have to talk about it every time the president of Bioware says how much he and his team love Sonic in a new yet oddly familiar interview.

And they haven't really addressed the speed/RPG ratio. They've said they are addressing the speed/RPG ratio, which is not the same thing as actually addressing it.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Locit wrote:And they haven't really addressed the speed/RPG ratio. They've said they are addressing the speed/RPG ratio, which is not the same thing as actually addressing it.
True, but it's at least better than skirting the issue.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I figured this was important enough to warrant a bump--I just got the newest issue of Nintendo Power (Jan. 2008), and the "Next Issue" page shows the cover story as being "exclusive new info" about none other than the mysterious Sonic RPG.

In other words, we'll be FINALLY seeing some actual news about this game in about a month--possibly even less, if the news goes the way of the NiGHTS 2 stuff and is leaked ahead of time (which it probably will be).

I'll try and get up a picture of the page (for proof) later today.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Looking back, I'm kind of shocked a media-less game has generated seven pages of discussion.

Of course, that's more like two and a half in non-GHZ-pages.

Really, though, mysterious is the way to put it. When I saw this topic at the top of the list, I was fully expecting that EA had axed this title in the merger shufflings.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Hasn't BioWare stated that the game wouldn't be affected by the merger already?

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Probably. Logic has little bearing on my thought process.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Since this is a DS project, it does have some promise of good sales, doesn't it?
That's most probably the reason for not cancelling the game... and also they've probably settled a contract with SEGA already for this, too.

DBurraki

Re: A Sonic RPG from Bioware---wait...WHAT!?!

Post by DBurraki »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226943

I'm sure this has probably been posted somewhere else on the forum, but whatever.

The Ghost Of Ember

Re: A Sonic RPG from Bioware---wait...WHAT!?!

Post by The Ghost Of Ember »

DackAttac wrote:I've always been curious on the etymology on Rule 34. Are there any rules 1 through 33?
I believe it comes from 4chan, and yes, I do believe there is, and more. Most of them are nonsense though. It might be interesting to search out who first established rule 34, but that would require searching through 4chan, and I value what's left of my sanity.