European Wii owners have got it good

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Shadow Hog

European Wii owners have got it good

Post by Shadow Hog »

<a href="http://kotaku.com/gaming/too-good-to-be ... p">Because you're getting a crapton of otherwise unreleased games via VC</a>.

Notably, <i>Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels</i> and <i>Sin and Punishment</i>.

Lucky bastards.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Lost Levels was on All-Stars. And it suuuuucked.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

And hard. I only beat that fucker ONCE in my life.

I thought Sin and Punishment looked cool six years ago when I first saw it. Too bad Nintendo didn't release it over here. Instead we got Dr. Mario 64.

spon

Post by spon »

I like how the lost levels on VC for 2 weeks suddenly means we got it good in Europe as far as Nintendo releases go

Trace

Post by Trace »

Mmm, Super Paper Mario 4 months after I stopped caring. (That said, we get the Tingle game today, the US don't)

I might check this out though, if I have any points left.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

They'll probably be released in the US later... I hope.

I thought Super Mario Bros. for Super Players was a good game, just very difficult.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

Sin & Punishment will be my first game on the VC :PY: and provably the last one (except they announce Mischief Makers in the future)

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I somewhat hope it isn't the next Alien Soldier.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Isuka wrote:I somewhat hope it isn't the next Alien Soldier.
Alien Soldier was awesome, what the hell is that supposed to mean?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

What I meant is that I hope S&P doesn't get stuck in Japan and Europe.
In fact, I utterly ignore the reason why there're different Virtual Console releases in USA and Europe, particularly in respect to old Japanese games.
Last edited by Isuka on Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, it took them three bloody weeks, but we're finally catching up in regards to your obscure Japanese releases.

And now I have to go and buy some Wii Points.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Folks are complaining that Sin and Punishment is priced a bit higher than the others, but I suppose that's a licensing issue. (Because S & P was never licensed to be published outside of Japan before, someone's gotta pay for it now.) It wouldn't be the first time... TMNT for the NES was also priced a bit higher due to licensing complexities.

Of course, it probably wouldn't bother one if VC games weren't so overpriced already...

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

The thing that bothers me about the price is that Wii points are sold in groups of 1000, which means I have to spend 800 on some game that I'm not really all that interested in. I'm certain it was intentional.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Or you could hold onto those points until a VC game comes out that you're interested in.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Nintendo's got my money either way. They don't have to release another game that I want to play.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Microsoft is worse, they have the same deal except the conversion is $1.25 for every 100 points so people get confused and think 100 points is a dollar, or do the math backwards and think 125 points is a dollar. I've seen so many Joystiq comments were people say its 800 points which is like 6 or 7 dollars. No, its 10 dollars you moron. So I guess what they were trying to do worked. I still have 200 points left from some purchase that required extra, every now and then the left over sum becomes exactly 400 points, then I spend it all on some 5 dollar game once one comes out that I want.

I hear ebay has points for a lot cheaper cause there are a lot of ways people get them free and since they don't have the console they just sell them for dirt cheap. I'm too lazy to check though.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

How do people get these free points? I figured they ought to be including them with games that you buy normally, y'know, like a little teaser ("here's ALMOST enough points to buy a VC title...")

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Anyone else also annoyed that these new points systems don't change with actual currency? For example, when the 360 was launched the Canadian dollar was like 86 American cents, now a few years later it's worth more than an American dollar, yet the price is still the same. I don't get why we have to keep paying more, it doesn't make sense. They need to be updating it monthly to reflect the value of actual money. It's actually cheaper to buy those cards now.

Also just curious, does Nintendo do this too? I'm assuming they do.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Not online. At least in Canada, when you buy Wii points with your credit card you are charged in American dollars. It's the credit card company that does the currency exchange. So for me, as the Canadian dollar has risen, virtual console games have actually been getting gradually cheaper.

Of course, the physical point cards you'd buy at EB have not changed in price... but then, neither have any other accessories or games for any of the consoles.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

If they changed it to reflect the real price then they'd make less money. We can't have any of that.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Sin and Punishment is awesome, and pretty much worth the price of admission. Also, the story is batshit insane- I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Locit wrote:Also, the story is batshit insane- I have absolutely no idea what's going on.
You should play Silhouette Mirage.