All out of piggies

Updates to the front page of the site are in here.
Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

No, that's the deal, last I checked. Can't remember how that affects text (I'd largely imagine that it doesn't), but there you go.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So in the PS2 version you can change the language from the options menu, but in the Xbox version you have to change the console's default language setting?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Exactly. And in the Gamecube and PC versions, you can't change it whatsoever; to have Japanese voice-acting, you have to have a Japanese copy of the game.

It's kind of been this way ever since. I fail to see why Sonic Team thinks this was such a good idea that they kept on doing it...

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

It seems that the PC versions of Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Heroes and Giant Egg (not sure about Sonic Riders) are all based off of GameCube, with all the limitations of it's proprietary 1.5 GB optical disc format.
FlashTHD wrote:Wrong on both counts. Hitting A the instant you go off a ramp launches you off with more height and covers less distance, and Rings deterimine how long you have to hold max speed before Boost Mode kicks in.
Nope. Hot Crater Act 2, last ramp. It'll propel you almost straight forward at maximum speed. Infact, it looks like hitting the Jump button on a ramp will take you to a certain part of the stage, mostly an upper corner (at the end of Hot Crater Act 2 there's nothing else aside from the goal, so it'll propel you there).

And I like it better to name the buttons by their actions, because you know, some -stupid- people change the default control settings to suit their -bad- taste, so maybe it's better to use other nomenclature.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Out of curiosity, is there any reason in particular as to why you've skipped the Mega Collection page? Seems like a rather straightforward one to write.

Another question: will you end up using SADXPC screenshots for the Sonic Adventure page or wait until Dreamcast emulation is near-perfect in order to obtain your accurate snaps? What about Adventure 2?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I'm not really sure about the Mega Collection page - I might take it down altogether. Unlike Sonic Jam, there's no new content in it at all, it's just a straightforward compilation. The museum timeline entry is sufficient enough for that.

I'll use DX screenshots on the Sonic Adventure page, but only in the DX "comparison" box. I'll wait for more reliable Dreamcast emulation before I add screenshots to the main SA 1 and 2 articles.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I'm not really sure about the Mega Collection page - I might take it down altogether. Unlike Sonic Jam, there's no new content in it at all, it's just a straightforward compilation. The museum timeline entry is sufficient enough for that.
-- The descriptions of the extras, lame as they are
-- The three versions of Sonic 1
-- Any miniscule changes to the games, or in the case of Mean Bean, cultural info
-- The directions for unlocking the extra games
-- Giving props to the non-Sonic games on the disc
-- And then there's SMC+ which actually does feature some new crapola in the extras.

I think that's enough to technically qualify it, if barely. How much of it are you willing to lose from the site? And are you thinking about giving the same treatment to Gems Collection?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Gems Collection is pretty much the same thing as Mega Collection: ports of games that have already been on other systems before (save Sonic the Fighters). You could mention the image galleries and the Japan-only games and instructions to get them, but you already find most of this info on GameFAQs.

Also, Green Gibbon!, in the X-BOX version of Sonic Heroes you can change the brightness level.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:but you already find most of this info on GameFAQs.
Read any of the game pages, ever?

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Are you dissing on GameFAQs? I avoid the forums like the plague, but I actually enjoy looking up the codes and secrets they have for games.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Ahem, Museum pages, as in, GHZ.

Whatever, it's moot now. He updated the page.

Neo

Post by Neo »

With incorrect notation which makes me feel like it's 2001 all over again.

While detailing the three different Sonic 1 releases, you call them "revisions", which is incorrect. 'Revision' 1 isn't a revision, it was the original release! 'Revision' 2 would be the first revision and 'Revision' 3 the second revision.

For a long time, the Sonic community used the term 'revision' to denote the various releases of a game, however, seen as this term is incorrect, people have opted to simply call them 'versions' instead. I think this cutting-edge 22nd century neologism should be applied to the Mega Collection page.

Also, pertaining to the Dreamcast screenshot issue, have you ever considered having someone else take them for you? Someone with a capture card, preferrably?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I hate to ask anyone to do that, though, then replace all their work as soon as Dreamcast emulation becomes a bit more solid. I think most games are already working, it couldn't be that far around the corner.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

For the record the topmost left bubble in the S3&K rolling jump bonus stage is always 80, and the topmost right is always a 1up. I don't know if that's the sort of thing we care about, but I just played through the game and noticed it.

The playthrough also reminded me that S3&K is the shit. Why aren't you all playing it right now? J'accuse!

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Locit wrote:For the record the topmost left bubble in the S3&K rolling jump bonus stage is always 80, and the topmost right is always a 1up. I don't know if that's the sort of thing we care about, but I just played through the game and noticed it.
80? I thought it was 100?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Nope, 80. Counted like, sixteen times. Also got Hyper Sonic by the middle of Flying Battery Act 1. Bitches.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Because I played it to death as a kid?

Although I have been meaning to break out <i>Sonic Jam</i> again to see how pathetic Easy/Normal modes are...

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Locit wrote:The playthrough also reminded me that S3&K is the shit. Why aren't you all playing it right now? J'accuse!
When I get tired of God of War II, Gungrave and Dynamite Deka I try to rebuild my file with all the Super Emeralds with all the characters. I got it with Sonic and Tails, and now I'm at Icecap with Knuckles ('cause I got a little tired of beating the Sonic path for the two thousandth time). Maybe it's worthy of mention that you can fight the Carnival Night boss if you climb the tube-thing at the end of the zone... and if you climb the wall to the left and glide through the place the game'll get all glitchy.
Oh, and you can go through the entire first act of Death Egg with Knux (with the level select), but won't be able to defeat the mid-boss (it's too high to reach). You can completely finish the second act and defeat the final boss, though.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Locit wrote:Also got Hyper Sonic by the middle of Flying Battery Act 1. Bitches.
I usually get Hyper before I get to the MHZ2 boss...

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Locit wrote:The playthrough also reminded me that S3&K is the shit. Why aren't you all playing it right now? J'accuse!
I am and it is. So HA!

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Isuka wrote:You can completely finish the second act and defeat the final boss, though.
Thought it takes you back to the title screen, preventing you from seeing the ending, I've noticed.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Isuka wrote:When I get tired of God of War II
That shouldn't take very long.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Locit wrote:For the record the topmost left bubble in the S3&K rolling jump bonus stage is always 80 [rings], and the topmost right is always a 1up. I don't know if that's the sort of thing we care about, but I just played through the game and noticed it.
Yep, but it's random, not preset.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

For the Record:

Beats (from Sonic Adventure's Final Egg) do not respawn indefinitely. After a time they will stop appearing.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

One time I just kept taking down those little bastards and by the fifth wave or so they stopped spawning, so yeah.
Neo wrote:I usually get Hyper before I get to the MHZ2 boss...
At least with Knuckles this is easily feasible; I just got Hyper and backtracking a little found no less than three Special Rings still active. With Sonic it's probably the same, only that you may get just one SR to spare.
Also I forgot: you can adjust the onscreen image size by pressing the right analog stick (R3), it's always on a middle-sized letterbox by default but pressing the button will bring it to an almost full screen, like the screen size of Final Fantasy X... oh, and before I could even notice I just played 60+ hours of the goddamn thing, it's not particularly good (infact the "story" doesn't make sense at all) but Lulu's boobs are enough of a reason to keep playing it :P .