Mario & Sonic at the Olympics E3 thread

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

I was afraid they'd saddle Robotnik in a cool and cheatariffic egg-mobile.

But, yay! He's on foot! Now it's time to win every race with Robotnik's little known ability to outrun everything. Always.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Video of what was shown at the Nintendo conference.

Looks like it's just from the game's CGI intro. It looks decent but nothing special.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

It really looks like Mario at the Olympics (guest staring some Sonic characters...)

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Gaz wrote:Looks like it's just from the game's CGI intro. It looks decent but nothing special.
Mario is keeping up with Sonic.

This is now made of FAIL.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I was hoping so hard that the stadiums would at least be located in the mushroom kingdom or GHZ. color me severely disappointed

EDIT: Has anyone else noticed that the audience is made up entirely of Chao and Toads? Now that's totally cool.
I think I may have spotted a few Piantas and/or Yoshis, too.

Also, I'm fairly certain they'll probably include game-based stadiums, too. They probably just wanted to show the generic stadium for news purposes or sumat.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Yami CJMErl wrote:I'm fairly certain they'll probably include game-based stadiums, too.
I'm getting really tired of hoping a game will look better when it comes out then how it is when they show us. We are never right, and the game comes out as crappy as it always was. None of its flaws fixed. Really, I'm starting to believe that NiGHTS will have no music or enemies.

We do have some rare cases, where the game looks a lot better, and when it comes out it it's not that good, such as the last TMNT game.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Black Rook wrote:
Gaz wrote:Looks like it's just from the game's CGI intro. It looks decent but nothing special.
Mario is keeping up with Sonic.

This is now made of FAIL.
Bowser will probably be able to fucking keep up with Sonic. It's retarded yes but no one is meant to take it this seriously.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Opa-Opa wrote:Really, I'm starting to believe that NiGHTS will have no music or enemies.
Actually, a pair of enemies show up in the trailer, though it's nigh-impossible to make out what they're supposed to be.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

They look like phoenixes to me.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

It looks about as sunny, polished and slick as I expected for this hybrid. It's really perfect for spin-offs like Riders and this since it's candy-coated candy for the eyes, but the game doesn't have any depth for that to squelch in the first place. Plus Mario pretty much has always operated in a 3D world this sunny. I mean, what was his last 3D platformer? Hunting down pieces of sunshine.

And that's really all I can talk about, because the magic of the Wiimote is that it's made screenshots utterly worthless. There was a time when Olympics games were a waste of money, a nicely-glazed copy of "How fast can you press "A"?" Now the options to supercede that concept (or find a way to do something even dumber) is all at the fingertips of the programmers.

Bottom line is I can feel neither relief nor disappointment until they say how these mini-games will be played. I still wonder about the number of gameplay modes, but let's be honest here. Of course they're not coming through in that department. They never do.

Fortunately, the DS version at least has played by the rules, and I can tell by looking at the screenshots that it won't be worth half a shit.

(And of course Mario can keep up with Sonic. Sega's tried to have the 'speedy' characters be faster than the others before. It makes sense on paper, but it makes for some shitty-ass boring competition. Really, what's the point of racing with an eight-character roster when only one or two characters are actually good at it? The goal isn't the finish line then, it's just to get your cursor on Sonic.)

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Zeta wrote:They look like phoenixes to me.
No, not the birds, there's a pair of things floating around and making hazardous noises at around 0:35. While the bird (Carrying a hapless dreamer) functions like an enemy, it seems like something completely different. Notice how NiGHTS is holding a peacock feather immediately after defeating it; If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that procuring a feather from those red birds is what triggers the appearance of the green birds that fly in front of you and periodically drop goodies.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

DackAttac wrote:(And of course Mario can keep up with Sonic. Sega's tried to have the 'speedy' characters be faster than the others before. It makes sense on paper, but it makes for some shitty-ass boring competition. Really, what's the point of racing with an eight-character roster when only one or two characters are actually good at it? The goal isn't the finish line then, it's just to get your cursor on Sonic.)
I hope that Sonic's at least faster than Mario (even if only by a small margin), and they're not just clones of each other in different skins. I mean, it's a given that each character will have their strengths, but given Sega's track record (and maybe even some contractual obligation to keep Sonic and Mario on even ground), I'm almost afraid they'll fail at that, too.

Though, if they were working in a less realistic world, the other characters would probably be given access to cheat items to level the playing field. But I guess that violates the spirit of the Olympics or some such.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Black Rook wrote:the other characters would probably be given access to cheat items to level the playing field.
Yeah. That would be sweet.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

IGN believes that SEGA would have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to come up with more filler characters for the game; I wonder what nether world they have been living in lately?

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

Maybe they are talking mainly for the Mario side rather than the Sonic side. But yes, can't see where IGN is coming from on this one.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, IGN, there just aren't enough Sonic characters!

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

What the hell? This game still feels wrong to me but seeing Eggman kicking about the place looking very much like he did before the Sonic Next makeover makes me somewhat happier. Mario being able to run with Sonic is just wrong but they should have the plumber beat the hedgehog at the high jump. Fools.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Yeah, Mario should beat Sonic at high jump and any swimming competition. To show a 100m dash in the first video is just dumb, but some kind of race is probably expected after the first artwork being of the two main characters doing hurdles.

Although, I can't really think of an event they'd both be equal at.

And also, notice how Cream is facing inward in the first screen. I think she's a line-referee. I wonder if they might make her unplayable.

Adamis

Post by Adamis »

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Sonic is wearing the speed down shoes from labyrinth, once you know that it makes everything seem right. I am disappointed at how slow eggman is, since he's faster than super sonic I figured they would make up a special contest just for him, something along the lines of "how many times around the world can you run?".

And if they made everything more cartoony the game would feel so much better, but that has been said before, has it not?
Last edited by Wooduck51 on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Jesus Christ, they even got Don LaFontaine to do the narration. That's just freakin' hardcore.

Although hearing him say "Sonic" is kind of... awkward.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

It's probably not Don LaFontaine, more like one of those impersonators. I thought it was identical for a moment but then watched this to refresh my memory.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vhQSfYuJk1g

Well actually I was pretty sure it was him for a moment but SOME GUY I know who's pretty into the whole voice acting scene seems to think his price tag is a bit high for a game trailer like this.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Looks like they've ditched Eggman's redesign from Sonic the Hedgehog PS3/Xbox 360 then.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I think they're just keeping him consistent with the already-existing design on Nintendo platforms. Stylistically I don't think he'd fit with this game anyway.

If they want to pretend Sonic 2006 never happened that's ok with me too though.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Wouldn't it make more sense if Sonic and co started off the race in a spin-dash? I guess they're probably kinda limited by the Olympic License though.

Maybe they're neck-and-neck because Sonic takes a couple seconds to get full speed, while Mario is pretty much at max after taking a few steps. However, that still doesn't explain why Tails and Knuckles are so far behind.