Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Rob-Bert wrote:Yet the trophy for Donkey Kong stated that he's the same one from the arcade when it's clearly Rare's DK
I once heard that the Donkey Kong from the arcade was actually Cranky Kong. Is there any truth to that?

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Last I heard, yes. Otherwise, his rants in Donkey Kong Country are full of shit.

I can't remember if he's supposed to be DK's dad or grandpa, though.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Rob-Bert wrote:Yet the trophy for Donkey Kong stated that he's the same one from the arcade when it's clearly Rare's DK, and the description for Daisy said she was in Mario Golf, even though she wasn't, and that the Great Fox appeared in SNES Star Fox even though it first appeared in SF64, so they aren't entirely accurate.
Yeah. Because, you know, getting very tiny details such as "First Appearance" wrong is just as easy as totally mistaking the identity of the character who appeared in one of your most critically acclaimed titles ever.

Mario shooting fireballs? Kirby with the cutter? Both those guys do get those powers in certain games. Certain games they appeared in. Twilight Princess Zelda has never appeared in a game where she can become a Sheikah. Adult Link having the boomerang is your only valid point, but that's carried over from SSB64, where there was no "Young Link" to give the boomerang to, and with the boomerang being one of Link's signature items anyway. Its a very small alteration, and again, not on the same magnitude of ignoring the fact that this new Zelda is very different from the old one.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

These are supposed to be compilations of all the things the characters stand for, not literal translations of them from the game they're from. The Link in Smash Brothers doesn't just stand in for the Link from Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess - he's ALL LINKS. Hence the trophies say his first debut was in Legend of Zelda. The same goes for Zelda.

For that matter, Ness's moveset comes from Paula - an entirely different character in the same franchise. Pikachu can't learn Skull Bash. None of Fox's weapons have ever appeared in the Star Fox games as usable directly for him. They totally made up every single thing Captain Falcon does.
Last edited by Zeta on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Just because we've never seen her do it doesn't mean that she's incapable, however. Otherwise, despite her artwork depicting her with a sword and the fact that she saved Midna from certain death, there really isn't anything she CAN do whatsoever, and, well, that just makes for a boring fighter, doesn't it?

At least with Link and the Boomerang, we have <i>OoT</i> explicitly say that Adult Link can't use it... although <i>Twilight Princess</i>' can, albeit his has a freakin' tornado surrounding it.

Anyway, Banana Peels. That might turn out to be interesting, although I still think the Gooey Bomb is the most interesting weapon thus far.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

We never see Ocarina of Time Zelda doing anything except using the Light Arrows, period, either. Not using Din's Fire, Nayru's Love - but she can do them.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Not to mention that according to the beginning of Smash Bros. (N64), all of the characters are actually supposed to be toys.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I guarantee you guys are putting way more thought into this than anyone at Nintendo did.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Probably, although I still think if they're going to explicitly state the context of a character then the character should make sense in that context. Adult Link using the boomerang and TP Zelda becoming Sheik both don't make sense in their original contexts, but one makes far less sense than the other.

I still always thought it was stupid Adult Link couldn't use the boomerang, though.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

And Pikachu's height doesn't match his Pokedex entry!

Seriously, Smash Bros isn't about context or continuity, it's about a bunch of Nintendo characters fighting each other in Nintendo arenas with Nintendo items. It's supposed to be fun, not something to get anal-retentive about.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Hey, let's take a break from all the geeking and play with our brand new banana peels!

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I really wish they'd give some damn game-specific items already instead of more entirely new ones. I mean, aren't those technically from Mario Kart?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I hate banana peels in Smash Bros. I always have, and I always will. Nothing is worse than busting open a capsule and/or crate and finding inside a stupid fucking banana peel, or worse, three fucking stupid banana peels.

Fucking banana peels.
Last edited by Locit on Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I really wish they'd give some damn game-specific items already instead of more entirely new ones. I mean, aren't those technically from Mario Kart?
Well, I'd consider them to be--I mean, have banana PEELS been used in any other Nintendo game or game series?

(Donkey Kong Country doesn't count, they used the whole fruit.)

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

So now I gotta click on the same square 3 times in order to get an "I"? Gee, thanks sakurai! :roll:

& we're still restricted to 4 letters! :mad:

spon

Post by spon »

Locit wrote:I hate banana peels in Smash Bros. I always have, and I always will. Nothing is worse than busting open a capsule and/or crate and finding inside a stupid fucking banana peel, or worse, three fucking stupid banana peels.
But banana peels weren't in any of the other Smash Bros. games...?
oh wait I get it you're futureposting
Last edited by spon on Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I hope the banana peels can be used on the Snifits in the Mario Kart stage!

Also, after looking at the mosaiced character selection, I estimate about 30 characters.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

[quote="Team Mecha"]we're still restricted to 4 letters! :mad]

FOUR LETTERS! Who they think we are? Phantasy Star characters??? What the hell!

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

The menu background in the first screen looks like it's been copied straight out of Kirby Air Ride. Sakurai wasn't kidding when he said he'd be holding back less this time.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Also, after looking at the mosaiced character selection, I estimate about 30 characters.
30 characters would mean that we've already seen all the new ones. And I sincerely hope that's not the case, or this will be very dissapointing. I thought it was said there'd be at least 10 new characters in total.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Why would it mean that? I'm pretty sure not everyone from Melee is coming back. They're not going to make a game with 40+ playable characters... it'd be too hard to balance them all. And they're going to favour tossing a few old characters over reducing the number of new ones.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Yami CJMErl wrote:Hey, let's take a break from all the geeking and play with our brand new banana peels!
They are rather... a-peeling.

!

!!

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Crazy Penguin wrote:
Yami CJMErl wrote:Hey, let's take a break from all the geeking and play with our brand new banana peels!

!

!!
Ha Ha :mrgreen:

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Crazy Penguin wrote:

!

!!
i c wut u did thar =P

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

spon wrote:But banana peels weren't in any of the other Smash Bros. games...? oh wait I get it you're futureposting
I was taking out my rage on future banana peels based on my hatred of past Karting experience with banana peels. There is little I hate as much as those damnable peels.