A Sonic RPG from Bioware---wait...WHAT!?!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

So. Can we start throwing out ideas on how the game's gonna play now?

When I've previously imagined a Sonic RPG, and yes, I have previously imagined a Sonic RPG, I figured the best gameplay scheme would be to make it an action game with a three character party, ala Kingdom Hearts or Sonic Heroes, set in adventure field-like areas with little load-time in between, like Jak and Daxter -- really, really big areas for Sonic to run around in. Sonic and the Secrets Rings already has a situation where you can assign different abilities to Sonic; I figured a "level-up" system would work like that: a character gains some experience, he can learn or power-up an ability and/or stats. Standard RPG fare.

Once on the battlefield, though, the action is more classic 3D Sonic: less platforming, maybe, but with running around enemies and utilizing special attacks and moves like SA2. Sonic, of course, is party leader and the player normally controls him, but the two supporting characters can be switched from AI to player at any time. Each character has his/her own abilities scheme: Sonic's attacks are more physical and speedy, Tails relies on gadgets, maybe there's a robot character who uses gunplay. I think an RPG would draw a lot from Sonic Battle for obvious reasons -- the game practically WAS an RPG.

Each character might have a special ability that can be used off the battlefield too. Sonic can spin dash, Tails can fly, Knuckles can burrow -- Sonic Adventure stuff. As far as locations go, I'd imagine that Station Square would serve as a home base -- perhaps even the only town in the game -- while most of the game would be composed of dungeons.

I can't see much of this happening on the DS. I was thinking about home consoles at the time. Still, I've always thought a Sonic RPG might be successful if pulled off correctly and since the game's being outsourced to a reputable developer, I think I have cause to be excited.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I'm thinking that the best thing to do would be a Paper Mario/Mario RPG-esque setup where the battles are action-oriented minigame/platforming thingers with button-timed commands. Perhaps each battle could take place with all of the combatants running (either being pursued or pursuing based on stats) while attacking and jumping over obstacles and such. Something like Paper Mario + Megaman Battle Network + Running Around.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I wonder if there'll be customization involved, and to what extent. I mean, even <i>KotOR</i> had some extent of wardrobe customization (IIRC)... it'd probably serve no meaningful use, but hey, it'd still be an interesting thing to toy around with.

Now, question is, is this game going to be 3D or 2D...? Bioware's done both, after all.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I'd prefer 3D maps and 2D battles, myself. Can't see it working any other way, really.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I would really like it if the game uses sprites since it is on the DS after all. But I guess I wouldn't complain that much if it used 3D models, assuming they are not eye-bleedingly bad. As for the dimensional plains...er, I never played any 3D platformers on the DS so I'm not sure how acceptable or poor the controls are.

I really hope this game isn't a standard WRPG or an emulation of an average JRPG with a Sonic skin. That would be a total waste.

Also another question, would this game be based on any of the cartoons or comics(bleh) or the game universe(hmm...)? Or will it be something different all together?

One last but very important thing, since this is on the DS would there be any touch screen gameplay implimented in this title?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I hope it's a text adventure game.

You are in Green Hill Zone. What do you do?
>look around
You see grass, loops, posts, paths and rings. What do you do?
>pick up rings
You now have 7 rings. What do you do?
>run
Does not understand "run" command.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

New Character: Eaty the Grue.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

I have but one question. Why are they limiting this game to a handheld?

It seems a game like this would do better on a next-gen console, or even a last-gen console. (Ps2) Besides, Sonic already has a handheld game in the works. Rush Adventure anyone?

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Here are some guesses, FWIW:

Because the DS is selling so well. (Isn't it essentially the best selling console in all territories?)

Game design that requires, or is best suited to, a touch screen/two screens.

Maybe they wanted to keep it on a handheld so it would have a lower profile, in case things don't go well with this particular Sonic experiment.
Last edited by MiraiTails on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

DS is cheaper to develop for. And this game is a gamble, no matter how high your opinion of Bioware is.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Sonic also seems to sell really well on the DS. I do remember for example that Sonic Rush appeared various times in the top 40 video games U.K. charts.

It still a mystery why Sega chose Bioware instead going the obvious route of getting some other competent Japanese developer(Tri-Cresendo, maybe)--especially seeing that it possibly would have help remedied Sonic's failing popularity in Japan.

Though, looking at the annoucement, it seems like this was a Sega of America/Sega of Europe decision(I thought Sega of Japan had them by the balls when it came to the Sonic franchise)? Does this mean this game will stay in the west like Sonic Rivals?

Also, will anybody from Sega USA will be somewhat involved with the title such as NCL was sorta overseeing Retro's work on Metroid Prime? To what extent will Bioware be involved with this? Will they provide the programing and Sega will provide the scenario and music?

spon

Post by spon »

MiraiTails wrote:Here are some guesses, FWIW:
Maybe they wanted to keep it on a handheld so it would have a lower profile, in case things don't go well with this particular Sonic experiment.
Low profile? But the DS is selling so well

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Correction, Sonic now has 4 handheld games coming out this year.

Rivals 2
Rush Adventure
Mario & Sonic Olympic DS

And now, Sonic RPG.

Not to mention he's got a next-gen game in the pipeline, Riders 2, which will probably debut at E3 this year. The only Sonic game i'm actually interested in. (Aside from Mario and Sonic, which i'm not really looking forward to in terms of gameplay, I only wanna play it to see how the two interact, since Sonic & Mario together is going to be a historic event. Aside from that, an Olympic game doesn't sound that thrilling. Maybe E3 will get me excited for it, idk)

I'd like to see how the graphics are gonna be for Riders 2. Riders 1 was the only game for next-gen consoles (Well, prior-gen consoles now) that actually looked like a step-up from the SA series graphically.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

For some strange reason, Sega hardly advertise their handheld games through television with the exception of Sonic Rivals. Maybe this title will be their first DS game we will see commericials on due to Bioware developing.

Also this is Bioware first entry into the handheld realm. Maybe they are also testing the waters by using a popular brand such as Sonic as opposed to something original, and like the bloke said the DS is cheap to develop.
I'd like to see how the graphics are gonna be for Riders 2.
If Riders 2 hypothetically exists, it would be a Wii-exclusive and it wouldn't look too much different than the first Riders game. =D

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

spon wrote:
Yes, I know. It seems like a contradiction. All I meant was that handheld games have traditionally been considered less of a "big deal," in comparison to home console games.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Ngangbius wrote: If Riders 2 hypothetically exists, it would be a Wii-exclusive and it wouldn't look too much different than the first Riders game. =D
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61643

Why'd you think it would be Wii exclusive anyway? Riders 1 was a multiplatform game.

spon

Post by spon »

MiraiTails wrote:
spon wrote:
Yes, I know. It seems like a contradiction. All I meant was that handheld games have traditionally been considered less of a "big deal," in comparison to home console games.
But it is a contradiction

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

cjmcray wrote:http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61643

Why'd you think it would be Wii exclusive anyway? Riders 1 was a multiplatform game.
Oh hay look, it's from 2005! Months before the first Sonic Riders were released, a year before Sonic 2K6 bombed on both 360/PS3, and several months after that when Sega's announced that they will take a break from releasing any major console game on the 360/PS3!

But who knows if Sonic Riders 2 is still in production after all that and the upcoming Sonic & Mario at the Olympics, and NiGHTS 2!

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

How well did Sonic Riders do sales wise anyway? From what I remember the game was a flop critically mostly getting average or poor reviews but I'm not sure how well it sold in the end. That said, Sonic Rivals apparently didn't sell that well yet that's ended up with a sequel.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

spon wrote: But it is a contradiction
You're right, it is. Oh, well. Every post can't be an insightful gem. OCB is probably right about cost being the main factor anyway.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Sonic Riders got a PC port, while we're still waiting for a Shadow the Hedgehog and/ or Sonic 2K6 one (well, at least I do for 2K6, they solved some glitches in the SADX and SH ports, don't know SR), that should say something about it's sales.

Also, if the current SEGA itself happened to develop a text-based Sonic RPG, for DS, I bet they would screw it up by not testing it before launch. :P

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Ngangbius wrote:Also, will anybody from Sega USA will be somewhat involved with the title such as NCL was sorta overseeing Retro's work on Metroid Prime? To what extent will Bioware be involved with this? Will they provide the programing and Sega will provide the scenario and music?
From http://gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=7913
“BioWare is one of the hottest names in RPG development in the world,â€￾ said Simon Jeffery, President and COO, SEGA of America, Inc. “Everyone at SEGA has huge confidence that Sonic is in the safest of hands, and that BioWare can create the ultimate handheld RPG experience for gamers of all ages.â€￾

“We’re thrilled to be working with SEGA on Sonic, one of the industry’s most enduring and compelling icons,â€￾ said Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare. “As huge fans of Sonic ourselves, we’re committed to delivering a truly amazing story-driven experience within the Sonic universe, focusing on capturing the character’s broad appeal and placing him in a completely original adventure,â€￾ added Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer of BioWare.
So it sounds like Bioware will be handling most of the development, story included. In fact, he specified "story-driven," which kind of makes me worry...

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

On the bright side, since it's on the DS it probably won't have constant, chattery voice acting!

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Isuka wrote:
Esrever wrote:All RPGs suck!

There! Is everyone feeling sufficiently alienated now?
Not cliché, and actually frigging fun.
Earthbound is different and fun as well, I'm shocked that no one brought this up before me.

I was lmao when I first gazed at the topic title. And laughed harder at the revelation that this could be the best Sonic game since S3&K, even though it would labeled as a spin-off.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I just hate turn-based battles. I absolutely can not enjoy that kind of gameplay, ever, for any reason, no matter how great the rest of the game is!

What do you suppose the odds are that this Sonic game will be some kind of action RPG instead? :S