Disney parodying Disney

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Since he stepped in, he's reopened Disney's 2D feature animation department, and effectively shut down their direct-to-video sequel operations.
Are you serious? I hadn't heard anything about that. Please tell me, is it true? Is it true?

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Yeah. It's all true.

Although with a chance to really redefine themselves, Disney has chosen to make another princess musical. Oh well.

you know, about that. Christ Sanders came to speak to our class and he was a really great speaker. Apprently he got the boot on American Dog for making the characters "too wacky for their own good." He works for Dreamworks now so their loss.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Lasseter is a good guy, but he's also very traditional. You can see it in his own films... easily the most conservative of Pixar's productions. Apparently he was not a fan of Lilo and Stitch, and felt similarly that American Dog was "too quirky." I guess the irradiated mutant rabbit and the pirate cat rubbed him the wrong way?

I'm glad he's trying to bring some integrity back to the studio, but at the same time, I think he sounds more than a little oppressive of ideas that don't mesh with what the studio is "known for." Lilo and Stitch was an experiment for Disney... giving a director a smaller budget, but a greater level of creative autonomy. I don't imagine we're going to be seeing any more of THAT.

It breaks my heart to see Sanders wind up at Dreamworks. Part of Sanders appeal was his awesome unique character design, but at Dreamworks I doubt any of that is going to make it onto the screen. Everything they put out looks exactly the same! Let's not forget that this is the studio that turned this:

into this:

UGH

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

What is with those guys and teeth, anyway?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

The Little Mermaid III is supposed to be their last direct-to-video sequel. I also watched Over the Hedge. Which I enjoyed. I also enjoyed the 1st Shrek, I don't remember my opinion of the second Shrek, but I hated the 3rd Shrek, mainly because of the horrible characterization of Arthur Pendragon. I think he and perhaps Merlin ruined the movie.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Dreamworks films aren't horrible, they're just horribly bland from a visual perspective. If they're written well I can enjoy them in the same way that I can enjoy other ugly cartoons, like South Park. But South Park doesn't cost 100 million dollars to animate.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Crap, I'm relieved that I didn't see that. And it seems I'm the only one that did not like Shrek in the first place; the sequels are just more of the same thing used in the first movie, one was enough, but Hollywood stars have to feed their families so they make the pointless sequels anyways.

And should I lose any hopes of seeing this released on western theaters? I know it almost doesn't have anything to do with all this, but it does look great.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

It uses Juno Reactor in the trailer, you can certainly give it that.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

This Disney thing looks nice, but the trailer gives just too much of the story. Ugh, i hate these trailers.

Ratatuille will be awesome. And I'm really waiting to for Bee Movie too.

EDIT: I think Over the Hedge was great. Laughed my ass off. Much better than all those other stupid city animal movies that came out.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Geez, I think the least visually offensive of all Dreamworks CGI films would be Madagascar due to the fact that most of the characters look stylistic instead of having to subtly(or not so subtly) insert realistic human facial features on animal characters.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Why won't the damn trailer load for me? I've let it sit for God knows how long but YouTube won't deliver. Same goes for another copy of the same trailer. I swear, YouTube hates me or something.
The first full length animated Disney film in quite a while will be The Frog and the Princess (they keep changing the title) starring the first African American Disney princess. If you missed those musical numbers you're in for a jazzy treat. It's also being directed by the two geniuses that brought you The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and Treasure Planet.
Alan Menken is making another Disney movie? This is quite possibly one of the greatest announcements I've heard in a good while. Mostly for the first two films listed more than <i>Treasure Planet</i>, but still.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Alan Menken was the composer behind the little mermaid and I'm not sure he'll be back for The Princess and the Frog. However the directors of the movies I mentioned are the duo of Ron Clements and John Musker.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

In response to Eserver's post, I don't really see what's so shocking about the Over the Hedge game. Kids movies ALWAYS get videogames. And not just Dreamworks movies. Disney's been doing it since The Little Mermaid.

But I do agree Dreamworks isn't the best animation studio. They are always trying to be "hip" by being crude, parodying everything, and putting loads of celebrities in their cast, not for their acting ability, but becuase they can put "BEN STILLER" all over their posters and ads.

Shrek 1, Madagascar and Over the Hedge are the only decent Dreamworks films.

Shark Tale caused physical discomfort to watch..

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

Radrappy wrote:Alan Menken was the composer behind the little mermaid and I'm not sure he'll be back for The Princess and the Frog.
He wont. The composer for The Princess and the Frog will be Randy newman. Yes, Randy Newman. Weather that is a good thing or a bad thing is debatable of course, but i for one would rather have the master composer behind "Under the Sea" and "Never Had a Friend Like Me" to make the music for Disneys (suposed) return to their grand 90's formula.

Menken was actually originally considered for the job, but Disney decided to change it since they did'nt want to seem repetative, since Menken is composing the music for two of their other films. One of those films are Enchanted and the other is another fairy-tale based film by the name Rapunzel, a computer animated movie about two teenagers from the real world who gets transported to the fairy tale world. Yes, thats right, its the
exact same formula as that of Enchanted. The EXACT same. And Disney is worried about seeming repetative in their movies music...

spon

Post by spon »

Ratatouille is going to be fantastic, I look forward to seeing the Princess and the Frog, and Wall-E already looks kinda interesting.

Disney also reopened their feature animation studios under the new name Disney Animation Studios, which suggests they're being pushed to rearrange back into their former focus.

Cute, huh.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

The "D" in the Walt Disney logo has always looked like a backwards "G" with a line through it to me. I have to stare at it for a few seconds to really see the "D"

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I had to stare at it for almost <i>two decades</i> to see the D, so I don't really blame you.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

One and a half for me, but yeah, it doesn't really look like a "D".

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I myself had more problems with the "y", and even the "W".

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

As I got older, I began wondering if the logo was made using Walt's handwriting.

It is not so much a Disney cliche as it is a typical fairytale cliche. Most of Disney's animated movies are based on children's stories of the same name. Some are based on history and myths (Pocahontas and Hercules). The last Disney movie I have seen was Toy Story 2. Movies in general have lost their appeal to me for some reason.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Oompa Star wrote:As I got older, I began wondering if the logo was made using Walt's handwriting.
It's not. The corporate "signature" logo was designed by someone and actually looks pretty close to the style of Will Eisner's signature.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

cjmcray wrote:In response to Eserver's post, I don't really see what's so shocking about the Over the Hedge game. Kids movies ALWAYS get videogames. And not just Dreamworks movies. Disney's been doing it since The Little Mermaid.
Oh! I didn't even notice that picture was for the video game. I was just using the images to show the difference between the art style of the original Over the Hedge comic strip and the art style used in the Over the Hedge movie.

It just seems like, no matter what it's based on, every Dreamworks movie is done in the same boring, bland, homogeneous art style. So, even if they bring Sanders in as a director, I'm not expecting any of his awesomely unique character designs to make it into his films. *sob*

I bought a little book of Sanders' art at Comic-con last year! It's really awesome. Apparently when he's not working on Disney films he just draws a lot of little monsters and mostly-naked women.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Dreamworks' over the hedge drained the very soul out of the comic strip and left it dead, as if the tails doll got to it.

And I liked Cars.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

And it seems I'm the only one that did not like Shrek in the first place
That makes two of us. Maybe the fact that I had a toothache throughout had something to do with it, but it was way predictable and most of the gags felt rather disposable to me.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I didn't discover the D in the logo until I stared at a Beauty and the Beast poster for a long period of time wondering how the hell that D could be read as a D. After a while, I finally figured it out and was so excited that I had to tell my whole family about my discovery.