A Sonic RPG from Bioware---wait...WHAT!?!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

A Sonic RPG from Bioware---wait...WHAT!?!

Post by Ngangbius »

There have an announcement that Bioware would develop RPG for the DS, but I never thought it would be a Sonic RPG. Wait...a Sonic RPG!?!
SEGA AND BIOWARE COLLABORATE ON NEW SONIC ROLE PLAYING GAME FOR THE NINTENDO DS

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (Thurs 21st June 2007) -- SEGA® Europe, Ltd., SEGA® of America, Inc. and Canada-based developer studio BioWare® Corp. today announced a partnership to create a new video game based on the classic SEGA flagship icon, Sonic The Hedgehog. The exact name of the game is undetermined, but this new title developed exclusively for the Nintendo DS will ship in 2008.

“BioWare is one of the hottest names in RPG development in the world,” said Simon Jeffery, President and COO, SEGA of America, Inc. “Everyone at SEGA has huge confidence that Sonic is in the safest of hands, and that BioWare can create the ultimate handheld RPG experience for gamers of all ages.”

BioWare is the award-winning independent developer that has created some of the world's best-selling titles including the Baldur's Gate™ and Neverwinter Nights™ series, the 2003 Game of the Year, Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™ and the 2005 RPG of the Year, Jade Empire.™ BioWare is currently developing one of the most anticipated next-generation titles of 2007, Mass Effect.™

“We’re thrilled to be working with SEGA on Sonic, one of the industry’s most enduring and compelling icons,” said Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare. “As huge fans of Sonic ourselves, we’re committed to delivering a truly amazing story-driven experience within the Sonic universe, focusing on capturing the character’s broad appeal and placing him in a completely original adventure,” added Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer of BioWare.

The relationship with BioWare reinforces SEGA’s increased emphasis on Western content development for Western audiences. In the past few years SEGA has announced partnerships with developers Bizarre Creations, Gas Powered Games, Monolith Productions, Obsidian Entertainment, Planet Moon Studios, Pseudo Interactive and Silicon Knights. SEGA has also acquired development studios The Creative Assembly, Secret Level and Sports Interactive.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... 396&page=3

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

SEGA AND BIOWARE COLLABORATE ON NEW SONIC ROLE PLAYING GAME FOR THE NINTENDO DS

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (Thurs 21st June 2007) -- SEGA® Europe, Ltd., SEGA® of America, Inc. and Canada-based developer studio BioWare® Corp. today announced a partnership to create a new video game based on the classic SEGA flagship icon, Sonic The Hedgehog. The exact name of the game is undetermined, but this new title developed exclusively for the Nintendo DS will ship in 2008.

“BioWare is one of the hottest names in RPG development in the world,â€￾ said Simon Jeffery, President and COO, SEGA of America, Inc. “Everyone at SEGA has huge confidence that Sonic is in the safest of hands, and that BioWare can create the ultimate handheld RPG experience for gamers of all ages.â€￾

BioWare is the award-winning independent developer that has created some of the world's best-selling titles including the Baldur's Gate™ and Neverwinter Nights™ series, the 2003 Game of the Year, Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™ and the 2005 RPG of the Year, Jade Empire.™ BioWare is currently developing one of the most anticipated next-generation titles of 2007, Mass Effect.™

“We’re thrilled to be working with SEGA on Sonic, one of the industry’s most enduring and compelling icons,â€￾ said Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare. “As huge fans of Sonic ourselves, we’re committed to delivering a truly amazing story-driven experience within the Sonic universe, focusing on capturing the character’s broad appeal and placing him in a completely original adventure,â€￾ added Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer of BioWare.

The relationship with BioWare reinforces SEGA’s increased emphasis on Western content development for Western audiences. In the past few years SEGA has announced partnerships with developers Bizarre Creations, Gas Powered Games, Monolith Productions, Obsidian Entertainment, Planet Moon Studios, Pseudo Interactive and Silicon Knights. SEGA has also acquired development studios The Creative Assembly, Secret Level and Sports Interactive.
It's too bizarre a notion to be particularly appealing, but it'll probably be the best Sonic game in years.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I'm still in some fucked up state of shock. A western studio developing a Sonic role playing game? Bioware making a Sonic game? Bioware making an exclusive RPG on DS?

This is very likely the wierdest announcement I've ever heard. I can't even comprehend it.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

From the thread's name I thought this was a rumor. I'll take a moment to WTF, then procede. If it's anything like, say, Klonoa Heroes with Sonic gameplay mechanics it should work.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

I think it's up there with the "DQIX to the DS" annoucement in terms of WTF-factor.

A Sonic the Hedgehog role-playing game...and Bioware is making it. Though I would have rather liked an original RPG from Bioware.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

On Oct 19, 2005, I wrote:So instead, I vouche for a Sonic RPG!!
I called it.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

So, Senbei's now the official forum's caster/ summoner?

Also, given the rampant success of the DS in Japan it wasn't precisely strange that the one franchise that literally collapses the whole country on every launch day would see it's next installment on that system. Now this is something else, I'd say almost on "Mario & Sonic in Beijing Olympic" WTF level.
Last edited by Isuka on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Though I would have rather liked an original RPG from Bioware.
It's called <i>Mass Effect</i>.

That being said, this company has nothing but AAA++ titles on its resume, so this actually fills me with confidence.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

It's called Mass Effect.
I meant for the DS.

Still, Bioware? Why not use Sega's in-house talent in Japan? It's not like Reiko Kodama has been busy with anything of importance lately.

Also...how would Bioware approach this anyhow? Have they ever created anything that's light-hearted and colorful, yet with a cool factor?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Oh boy, more plot! That's what Sonic needs! And good and evil paths, yeah, that'll be great! Make Sonic good or bad, depending on your actions! AWESOME!

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

Yeah, and that plot will be script by who, archie? xD

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

I really don't know how to respond to this. On one hand, a Sonic RPG sounds like the worst idea ever, but on the other, it's being developed by the guys who made KOTOR and a fuckton of other allegedly reputable games, so this very well may be just what the series needs. I can't wait to see how this turns out, though. Heavens, Sonic is just full of surprises this year!
Last edited by Ritz on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Well, this is a bizarre announcement. I guess after Mario & Sonic at the Olympics anythings possible. The next game will probably be some Sonic FPS deathmatch game or something.

I can see this actually turning out to be a good game given BioWare's track record but Sonic really doesn't seem that well suited to an RPG. I think if they really wanted to do an RPG set in the Sonic universe it would have been a better idea to do a spin-off starring one of the other Sonic characters.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

THEbigLANDMAN wrote:Yeah, and that plot will be script by who, archie? xD
I'm assuming we can expect continued use of the phrase "hasta la vista, mistah!" by any and all characters.

Ugh. I may have just jinxed this whole thing.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Gaz wrote:The next game will probably be some Sonic FPS deathmatch game or something.
It could work.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Ritz wrote:(...)On one hand, a Sonic RPG sounds like the worst idea ever(...)
Sonic Adventure page wrote:Since the completion of Sonic 3, senior designer Takashi Iizuka had been toying with the idea of a Sonic RPG.
For the spin-off idea there was Game Gear's Tails Adventure, but it was still sidescrolling so I don't know how the idea would work if the game happened to be isometric a la Baldur's Gate... or Super Mario RPG.

And for a FPS, they (by they I mean id Software or the team behind CellFactor Revolution) could use Shadow and get done with him.

EDIT:
Black Rook wrote:"hasta la vista, mistah!"
lulz, i approve

And there's a thread over at the News forum, should we move there or stay here?
Last edited by Isuka on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

This game could turn out decent if the overall tone is similar to the Mario RPGs and Sonic Battle, and not like Sonic 2K6.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Sonic Adventure page wrote:Since the completion of Sonic 3, senior designer Takashi Iizuka had been toying with the idea of a Sonic RPG.
Sonic Adventure page wrote:senior designer Takashi Iizuka had been toying with the idea of a Sonic RPG.
Sonic Adventure page wrote:Takashi Iizuka had been toying with the idea
Sonic Adventure page wrote:Takashi Iizuka had been toying
Sonic Adventure page wrote:Takashi Iizuka
All the more reason to dismiss the idea as absurd. Here's hoping he has little to no influence on this title.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

I almost feel as if Sega is toying with the franchise to see where it should go.

Also, an enormous goddamn cast works fine for an RPG.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

I guess this would be the real reason why this franchise has growing cast of elventy-billion characters.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Ngangbius wrote:Also...how would Bioware approach this anyhow? Have they ever created anything that's light-hearted and colorful, yet with a cool factor?
Don't worry. I'm sure they'll get plenty of coaching from Iizuka, as the Sonic Rivals team did.

Seriously though, if a story-driven Sonic RPG can possibly work then these are the guys who can do it. Assuming they get to write the story. Either way, there's a good chance we'll be seeing some generic furry towns in this...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Hopefully we'll get mostly generic human towns, so we don't have to hear people clamor for RandomDuck#9 from Town#10 to be a playable character "because he's so yiffy keen."

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

I'm hoping for mixed towns. Integration rocks!
Don't worry. I'm sure they'll get plenty of coaching from Iizuka, as the Sonic Rivals team did.
Oh dear...

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

They'll probably draw the story as a continuation from Sonic X....

I didn't like KOTOR very much. Did anyone else here actually play it or any of Bioware's other RPG's?

This can't be good any way you look at it. They could make a decent game with Sonic's story completely different, then that becomes cannon. They could make a bad game, then we have another bad game on our hands. They could make a really good game and then we'd be stuck with yet another Sonic RPG around 2010.

I'm not feeling too optimistic about this. I'd much rather have a Japanese developer do this. Just about any Japanese developer... I don't ever recall enjoying a North American RPG....

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Oh God, as if we needed more characters and plot in this franchise.