Sonic Rivals 2 screens

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Too bad they didn't just combine this game with Rush 2 as a subgame mode.

Dr. SEGA Monkey

Post by Dr. SEGA Monkey »

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

The loop shot looks really great. Too bad it looks like there's combat, and the rings are, well, octagons.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

So, they are making a second part of a game that didnt have a japanese version?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

The last game sold well enough to warrant a sequel?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Arcade wrote:So, they are making a second part of a game that didnt have a japanese version?
Yeaahh... so, like, what? Is it a requirement to have your crappy game be released in Japan to have it's sequel?

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php ... p_gamelist#

New Playable Characters: Players can join Miles "Tails" Prower and two new characters for even more fast-paced action with your rivals.

Anyone else worried about that or...?

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

I think it's obvious one of the two "new" characters is that Tanuki thing from Rush Adventure.

But who could be the second?

Adamis

Post by Adamis »

Blaze is in that game, I'm sure of that.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

DBurraki wrote:...two new characters for even more fast-paced action with your rivals....
Adamis could be right. They might just mean "new" to the Sonic Rivals series, after all.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

This looks like shit. I'm assuming it's still being outsourced for development?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I think it's obvious one of the two "new" characters is that Tanuki thing from Rush Adventure.

But who could be the second?
I suspect Blaze since she's the only female character associated with running.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

^Her and Amy, I guess.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I find it weird that they're bringing Silver back for yet another go. He felt totally disposable like most Sonicteam characters and I figured his tenture in the original Rivals would be the last we saw of him.

Dr. SEGA Monkey

Post by Dr. SEGA Monkey »

To all the people complaining about how crappy the game is:

I haven't played the first Rivals to see for myself....but the the reviews were somewhat decent. Complaints were mostly about length and lack of variety. Most people wanted it to be a regular platformer right? Well, now they added a "Free Mode". Also these new battle modes and more characters can help make the game last longer.

About the graphics....the PSP's screen resolution isn't 1008 x 541, it's much much smaller. Try taking those images, and shrinking them down to the screen size....not so bad looking now, are they? Infact, the graphics wil sort of praised in most reviews for their bright colors and style that was similar to the Genesis games.

Keep in mind, this is Backbone, not Sonic Team. I guessing they don't live in the "la la land" of money spoiled game developers. And judging by the art style they're using, gameplay choice, and story, they seem to have a lot more passion and better sense of nostalgia than Sonic Team has right now. To me, it seems like they want to improve on the last one. And right now it seems they are doing that.

I know the controls weren't exactly the best, but I doubt the controls will be worse....clearly they're using the same engine. If anything, the controls will be the same, if not, better than Rivals 1.

I personally haven't played Rivals 1, I've only been going by reviews, screenshots, and videos....but has anyone here actually played it? You can't call it a crap game and not back up your statement. And if you do have reasons, at least take into consideration all the things Backbone is doing to improve on the first.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. Hopefully the improvements will make the sequel better than the original, because it was definitely not a terrible game.

Soul
Now Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online

Post by Soul »

...so they really are making another Rivals? The 1st one did that well? o_O;

Okay, I'm kidding - Rivals was pretty cool. Not something I would rave over (I don't do this often, either), but not something I would disapprove of, either. Maybe the 2nd installment'll get me to actually buy a PSP (thanks to the price drop), instead of hoarding one from my friends.

Speaking of sequals, am I the only one looking out for another Sonic Riders or is that a lost cause? Despite the lack of tricks and control, it was still pretty fun...until you actually beat the game & the missions. Guess I'll put up 'lack of venues' as well. *shrugs*

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Takashi Yuda declared that they're gonna make a sequel for the new consoles, but that was before the first game was even published, if I remember well.

Also, for the sacred anus of Jesus I can't beat the last race as Wave in the Story mode. It's not that I suck at it, it's only that I can't make the goddamn swallow thing go across those shortcut rings. Really, I tried everything and I keep falling.

Soul
Now Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online

Post by Soul »

Yeah, that part's pretty tricky. The fact is if that you overshoot or undershoot the turn just enough to throw you off course, you'd be completly screwed. Doesn't help that all the Flight characters control like an airplane (down/back = up, forward/up = down) and you're in a hurry. Plus you gotta keep in mind the momentum factor.

And I do remember Yuda making that announcement, but that sounded like him jumping the gun just to keep the public interested in the game. Of course, if the game IS in development, I better see 3 things happen (!!WARNING!!Long rant ahead!!WARNING!!):

1. No more 'character types'. It's one thing when it's that character's overall top attribute. It's another when it actually limites the character to what trick paths he/she can actually take. I don't like the idea of buying a certian Gear just to be able to get Tails or Wave to grind on a rail when all the Gears should be able to do it.

2. More control over tricks. PERIOD. Flicking the thumbpad around was no different than mashing D-Pad arrows and three buttons ala 'Tony Hawk's Whatever Skater Insert Number or Name Here'. The difference was that the later made you actually earn those combo lines. Instead of that, I would like to play the next Riders and make it remind me of SSX - fluent control and precise movement to where if you landed on that board, you better be right-side-up and clean on the landing or you'll eat it. How bad depends on how much you put yourself off-axis.

3. Ditch the courses, open up the city. JSRF would be the shining crown for this rule (RIP Smilebit). Even if parts of the city were so big and expansive that you could easily get lost in them, the sensation of tricking from street, to rail, to streetlamp, to roof, to wire, to finally skyscraper all in one line was more than enough to make up for the time you spent looking for that one spot to get-up on. Put the same expansivness in Riders, and the only thing you have to worry about 'getting up' on would be how high you can get up into the atmosphere before gravity took over.

Races wouldn't be a problem for this either, since JSR always laid out your race course for you. That way, you knew where you had to go and what shortcuts you're allowed to take before you strayed off course.

All the other bones I had to pick with the 1st Riders I could care less about (music, interactivity, replay value, etc.), but if those three aren't fixed when the sequal does drop, I know where to turn for my 'action sports' fix.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

<strike>... Rivals, not Riders</strike>

Oh, don't mind me.

Vector

Post by Vector »

So is there a Riders 2 or not? Every Rivals topic turns into Riders.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I used to think that the only reason I never gave a crap about Rivals was the fact I lack both a PSP and any plans to purchase one. But this whole new set-up of games—Rush Adventure, Rivals 2, even the RPG despite the BioWare lifeline, the Mario crossover for cryin' out loud—don't excite me. Perhaps it's the lack of any real preview media, perhaps it's the fact that they're all spin-offs fueled by the fact that a spinoff (Wildfire) finally outperformed the canon series in both critical acclaim and financial intake. While it's nice that they've put the brakes on the oft-rushed big installments for the time being, these stop-gaps make me feel like it's 1995 all over again. I need some meat with these potatoes.

Vector

Post by Vector »

While I in spirit agree, I don't want a SEGA E3 announcement of Sonic Adventure 3: STH360 wasn't bad enough edition, in which Sonic, Shadow, and Silver learn the fusion technique and use Chaos Control to hop dimensions to fight a giant wind-elemental monster Eggman releases.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Yeah. Honestly, I'll take the sides which range from succulent to slightly dry over the main course if a pile of the chef's fecal matter is topped on that hearty-looking meal.