My favorite martian

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

My favorite martian

Post by Green Gibbon! »

AnimEigo's had the last set of Lum DVD's out since early in the year, and of course I watched them as a death row inmate enjoys his final meal. I couldn't bring myself to discuss it before, but I feel like I am finally beginning to recover from this loss enough to reflect. (Spoilers ensue.)

To my intense relief, there's no conclusion of any kind, either in the TV series or the Final Chapter movie. Lum and Ataru don't even kiss (not in the movie, anyway, and there's no real build-up to the kiss in the final TV episode). This, of course is as it should be, because a conclusion would utterly betray everything the series is about. Even though I can no longer bear witness, it is essential to my emotional well-being to know that somewhere, in some fictitious alternate universe, where it is still 1984, high madness of all manner is still transpiring in the embattled town of Tomobiki, and it's going to be that way until the end of time itself (and just maybe beyond that).

About the closest thing we get to any kind of a closure is that Tsubame finally gives Sakura a ring, so now they're officially engaged (I had already assumed they were, myself). The big kicker for me is that we finally learn Megane's real name (Satoshi). I also noticed on the Japanese wikipedia that names are given for the other three stormtroopers: Chibi is Akira and Kakugari is Hiroyuki while Perm, interestingly, is Kosuke. I never read much of the original manga, but apparently Kosuke is a regular character who usually has his roles filled in the anime by Perm. This is the first evidence I've seen that they're meant to be the same character. I wonder where the information comes from?

I'd heard that the fifth movie was supposed to be all that, but I didn't care for it myself. It's essentially a rehash of the first movie except not nearly as good. I know that storyline didn't happen in the manga (which the fifth movie is based on), but I don't even think it was well-directed. I think the Inaba TV special would've made a much better final movie if it didn't focus so heavily on Shinobu (even the animation is better).

I did, however, like the fourth movie, which is meant to suck. In fact, I liked it alot. Yamazaki is a talented director even standing in Oshii's shadow, and all I wanted was to see him take off on his own tangent the way Oshii did in Beautiful Dreamer (with stunning results). And that's exactly what happened and I loved it. It does lose focus toward the end and the climax makes no sense at all (I'm talking, like, Kojima Metal Gear nonsensical), but the whole thing is so 80's anime sci-fi weird it doesn't really matter. It's the sort of thing you would've expected to see on the Sci-fi Saturday Anime. It's no Beautiful Dreamer and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except Lum fans, but if you consider yourself among these ranks, it's essential viewing. Supposedly Yamazaki later admitted in an interview that at the time, he was exhausted and disgusted with the fan base so he basically destroyed the entire UY universe as a wake-up call. Evidently he didn't think about the fact that, based on the series track record, viewers would have no reason at all not to assume that the rubble of Tomobiki would have returned to its original state in the next episode with no further explanations required. You're my boy, Kazuo, I don't care what anybody says.

Anyway, having viewed the series in its entirety at least twice (some of my favorite episodes I've seen many more times than that), I've tried to select a single episode as my personal favorite. Which I can't. UY has become such an emotional security blanket for me that I've found I adore even the episodes that aren't very good for no good reasons. I don't want to call it my favorite, but if there's any one episode that sticks in my head as a perfect example of the series in general, it's the Ryoko Christmas tree episode. That's vintage Lum running on all cylinders all the way through.

And then there are the girls. Many long hours have I considered this. Benten, I think, is the the hottest (and, coincidentally, shows tit more often than any other character) and special mention must go to Ryoko, whose criminally sadistic hobbies have comprised many of my very favorite episodes. But at the end of the day, my woman is definitely Oyuki. You just don't mess with the snow lady. She's beautiful and sophisticated and doesn't hesitate to encase her transgressors in ice without so much as furrowing a brow. Truly a woman of action, not words, who commands the respect of all around her (except Ataru, of course, but I noticed even he tends to be a bit reticent when clinging to her).

Is there anyone else here who understands? Zeta? Kishi? I can't handle this alone.

Also, while we're on the subject, look at this: http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/ikkokukan/

I thought that was just a rumor, but it looks like they're really doing it. They're still announcing the actors, so I guess production hasn't started yet. So far only Kyoko and Godai have been announced... I assume that's them at the bottom of the page. I am satisfied with both - Godai looks like he's already in costume, there - but any two-bit schnooks with a few years of drama lessons could play Kyoko and Godai. Casting the other tenants is going to be the real challenge.

I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I'm excited. Giddy even. I hope they preserve the era and don't try to make it like a "Maison Ikkoku in the 2000's".

Neo

Re: My favorite martian

Post by Neo »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I don't want to call it my favorite, but if there's any one episode that sticks in my head as a perfect example of the series in general, it's the Ryoko Christmas tree episode. That's vintage Lum running on all cylinders all the way through.
Same here. Either that or the matsutake party at Tomobiki High. We got to see all of the main cast's special skills: apparently, Cherry can, at any given moment of time, turn red and explode in a cloud of smoke.
Green Gibbon! wrote:And then there are the girls. Many long hours have I considered this. Benten, I think, is the the hottest (and, coincidentally, shows tit more often than any other character) and special mention must go to Ryoko, whose criminally sadistic hobbies have comprised many of my very favorite episodes. But at the end of the day, my woman is definitely Oyuki. You just don't mess with the snow lady. She's beautiful and sophisticated and doesn't hesitate to encase her transgressors in ice without so much as furrowing a brow. Truly a woman of action, not words, who commands the respect of all around her (except Ataru, of course, but I noticed even he tends to be a bit reticent when clinging to her).
My favourite UY girl would have to be Ryunosuke. It's just something about the delicate woman hidden beneath the shell of a fierce young man that sparks something. That and she gets a full first portion of an episode dedicated to her boobies, that has to count for something.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Dude, I've always wanted to get into this series after seeing the second movie and some random episodes, but AnimEigo doesn't make the early box sets anymore, and I'm kind of turned off about buying each individually. But yeah, UY 2 was one of the greatest anime movies I've ever seen.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

The casting is complete, at least for the tenants (no sign of Mitaka or Kozue yet):

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/ikkokukan/

Yotsuya looks I think just a little too old. I imagined him as being about 15-20 years younger, but extra two decades aside, the actor looks the part. You can't see him well in the snapshot, but this is the guy: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kishibe_Ittoku

This is Akemi: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Takahashi_Yumiko
and Ichinose: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kishimoto_Kayoko

So far I approve, but a bad Mitaka could still ruin everything. They definitely need to dirty Soichiro up a bit, too, but the building itself it dead on. Looks exactly like it does in the comic. The old TV antenna is a nice touch. Also, Ichinose's got her fans!

There are some pictures of the set in this dude's blog: http://blog.tv-asahi.co.jp/ikkokukan/ There's one picture where they're on the roof I guess rehearsing that scene early in the comic where Kyoko falls asleep up there and nearly slides off.

I don't know when this is supposed to start airing, but I guess I'll have to keep an eye open for downloads because I don't expect anyone to release this in the US ever.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

How long is the live action version supposed to last?

Anyway, I also think the casting's pretty good aside from Yotsuya's age gap.

While on the subject of Maison Ikkoku, my favorite chapter (at least the one that sticks out in my mind the most whenever I think of Maison Ikkoku) was the ice skating one. I like it when characters goof off like that.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I've always liked Ranma 1/2 best. But then again I never did see that much of Lum or Maison Ikkouku.

That picture looks like a very well done cosplay. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

While on the subject of Maison Ikkoku, my favorite chapter (at least the one that sticks out in my mind the most whenever I think of Maison Ikkoku) was the ice skating one. I like it when characters goof off like that.
That one was actually left out of the first US printing. As far as the inconsequential "goof off" episodes, I like the one where they get stranded on an island. I think they made an OVA based on that chapter.

Did you read the whole series?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

Yeah, I read the whole series.

Usually, my favorite chapters are when they're goofing off and just being plain human. As a matter of fact, I seem to like those over plot progression. However, I don't like series' with only goof off episodes, as I think dramatic (or non-dramatic) story progressing chapters need to complement those goof off chapters. If I can see characters goofing off and just being themselves and me laughing and having a good time watching them be themselves, then those are usually my favorite moments.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Yeah, but I mean... it's not like the characters are any different during story progression. Hell, the only reason anything ever happens is because of the characterizations, which is what makes the series so great.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

Then we're in agreement that Maison Ikkoku has good characterization...?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/ikkokukan/

Casting is complete and I am most pleased. It looks like Mr. Otonashi is much younger - he's a frail old coot in the comic, but he looks much healthier here. It's probably an appropriate change though, and everyone else is spot-on. The girl in the lower right hand corner is apparently Haruka, Godai and Kyoko's daughter. That's interesting, because she isn't introduced in the comic until the last panel of the last chapter, and then only as a newborn infant. I can't imagine what she's doing here except that maybe they're taking a "flashback" approach as a wed Godai and Kyoko recall their early years. (Actually, if the series followed a real timeline, Haruka would today be college age.) No sign of Ikuko or Kentaro.

The series starts airing on May 12. I want to see it badly and cannot. Guess I'll have to wait and squint over some crummy YouTube clips.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Gibbon!, why am I not surprised that you still haven't acquainted yourself with HDTV rips and bittorrent? Because they do do those for even the most insipid of J-dramas.

I'll bet you still haven't read Monster yet, either.

My only complaint about the casting is that Mrs. Ichinose isn't at least slightly repulsive. I mean, come on, I'm just not seeing the alcohol coming off of her lips.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

What they really need to do is dirty up that dog a bit. He's way too clean to be Soichiro. And teach him to BOWF.

I wonder how the actors will carry their parts? Even assuming they're all familiar with the source material, it will take some special skill to achieve the right balance of antagonistic dickweed and lovable low-rent comrade that most of the characters require.

As soon as you find any episode torrents floating around, do let me know.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Booyah.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an episode 2 up at all. Since this seems to be more like a TV movie, I suspect they're doing it in seasonal installments or something. Drano cookies to whoever gets to the bottom of this.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Downloading now. The official Japanese website has some news regarding a DVD release (click the leftmost kanji-filled button to get to what I assume to be the news section) which has me thinking it's probably a one-shot if they're already promoting it. It says something about if you enjoyed the 'special drama' Maison Ikkoku it'll be for sale on 8/24/2007 for 4,700 yen. Or maybe it means something completely different. My knowledge of Japanese is fairly tenuous. Maybe someone with a bit better grasp wants to give it a go?

WB
Drano Master

Post by WB »

Topic sucks for lack of Marvin. Because Illudium PU-36 Space Modulators pwn you.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Holy nuts, this brings it around full-circle for me.

It was actually Gibbon's comments about the final batch of UY DVDs coming out a long time ago that sparked my interest in the series. Since then, it's quickly become my favorite anime (sorry Lum, but all the incarnations of TRANSFORMERS are currently holding as my #1 favorite cartoon overall), and I've torrented the whole series, all the movies and OVA, as well as the entire manga series, translated.

Personally, I think the whole thing's a work of sheer comedic genius, and the manga is an interesting way of seeing how Rumiko Takahashi's art style has gradually evolved to the unique (and, for me, almost instantly recognizable) style that it is now commonplace in her manga.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

WB wrote:Topic sucks for lack of Marvin. Because Illudium PU-36 Space Modulators pwn you.
Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulators. Truth.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Then we should talk about Duck Dodgers show?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Dodgers

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Lum looks better in a tiger stripe bikini than Marvin. I know, because I have pictures.

So what's the poop on the Ikkoku, yo? Has anyone downloaded it yet?

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Didn't you notice the link I posted?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

YES BITCH BUT I DIDN'T DOWNLOAD IT YET AND I WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE DID YOU BALLSAC HAIR SUCKING SLEAZE MONKEY

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Uh, I enjoyed it. I've never seen the original but after watching the live action version I decided to download all 96 episodes of the anime, if that says anything. I'm sure there'll be some nagging flaws for longtime fans that will drive them crazy or something, but I got a real kick out of it. Having finally watched the whole thing I can say that I really have no idea if this is a one-shot or not anymore, but I hope they continue making them.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I just watched the first two episodes and I really like it. The first episode is a bit slow while they introduce the cast (plus it takes place almost entirely in Godai's room), but the second episode rolls right along and both are successful adaptations of the comic. It's obviously much calmer than the old cartoon, but it still feels animated with the dynamic camera work and the occasional cartoon effect (like when Yotsuya literally slides back into his hole). It works really well, I think - it's a very appropriate ambience.

All the actors carry their roles well, but I especially like Ichinose. It's one of those cases where I can only imagine that whatever gods or fates or Lovecraftian demons rule over destiny put this woman on Earth to play this role.

The Chachamaru bartender is way wacky. Like, possibly insane wacky. That's quite a drastic change from his comic book character who appears only sporadically but is possibly the most level-headed person in the series. He doesn't particularly offend me though, so I guess we shall see what we shall see.

The set is absolutely perfect. As far as I'm concerned, the Ikkoku-kan is a character. I get all giddy everytime the camera pans down by the big clock - all like, "Oh dude, it's the real-life Maison Ikkoku!"

There is one weird time discrepancy... the story takes place in 1983 (as it well should), but in the opening sequence, Godai talks to a very young Haruka in 2007. Haruka, of course, should be much older than that based on the original timeline (which this seems to follow).

I doubt it'll win over any new Maison Ikkoku fans, but I can't imagine that's what they're trying to do. The short of it is that I approve.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I watched the rest of it and well, I like it alot. It follows the comic but it's paced extremely well so it never feels too episodic. There's some new stuff too and it all works extremely well (like the short scene where Yotsuya helps Godai study) - the writers have a real affinity for the series.

I'm really impressed. These guys sat around and decided they were gonna do this the right way. I hope there's gonna be more.