Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

It's strange seeing Halo inspire a weapon in Smash.

I do think that using a D-Pad instead of analog would be like trying to use the D-Pad in Mario 64 DS (eventhough they're both very different games). Double-tapping the D-Pad to do a smash attack, or even having to press the way out of the way A button while holding the remote in a horizontal position seems unwieldy.

Besides, they announced Classic/Gamecube controller support when they announced the game.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

They didn't "announce" it, that was blown out of proportion. Everything was based on one comment of Sakurai saying he wasn't sure how it'd control "but don't throw away your Gamecube controllers just yet". That's it.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Light Speed wrote:What about jump?
You press up.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Zeta wrote:Anyway, minor update on the blog - proximity mines are now called "Sticky Bombs", and can be stuck to characters, as well as scenery.
I think proximity mines could easily still be a separate item - from the description, Gooey Bombs sound timed. I suppose they could be mines if they hit the ground or timed if they hit a person, but that just seems fiddly.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Shadow Hog wrote:You press up.
Not everyone does that. In fact, most people I know that play Smash Bros. use a button to jump, including myself.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Shadow Hog wrote:
Light Speed wrote:What about jump?
You press up.
It's a lot harder to control that way. I suppose it wouldn't be that much worse if you were using the D-pad, but using the D-pad is already really awkward.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I know I do.

Even though Nintendo is trying to push the Wii agenda, I can't see them screwing up Smash Bros. Simple as it is, it is still a serious tournament fighter, and that means it needs accurate, precision controls. There's no way they don't understand that.

Still, I can't see them making the game REQUIRE the purchase of a classic or Gamecube controller to play it, either. My prediction: in addition to supporting at least one of those two options, there will also be a Wiimote/Nunchuk mode in which the attacks traditionally assigned to the A and B button are replaced with left and right shakes. (With the Wiimote's A button reserved for jumping, and the two triggers assigned to grabs and blocks.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Forgoing my earlier, heavily-criticized scheme, I'm pretty sure the default would be just like the existing control scheme, but with analog relegated to the nunchuk. No need for waggle at all. Maybe to activate Super Smash Attacks or something, but seriously, what the hell could it add?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

There's lots of need for waggle. There aren't enough buttons otherwise. You need A attack, B attack, Jump, Block and Grab... that's five functions, and the Wiimote/nunchuk combo only has four buttons: three triggers and the A button.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Grab was always just Shield & A, though. It's not as convenient as just hitting the Z button, but it's there.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

You could have the entire D-pad be jump.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

It's still not a button, though. It might work, but I don't think people would be too wild about the D-pad being the only jump option. I'd say map the shield to the D-pad and change the button combo to work with one of the nunchuck triggers. Of course, they could offer custom control schemes and allow you to map the buttons as you see fit instead, but I don't really see that happening. Honestly any Wii/nunchuck layout seems like it'd be awkward to me.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I'm tellin' yah... A will be jump, triggers will be block/sheild, and your two attack "buttons" will be supplanted by shaking the nunchuk and the remote. Those who don't like to wag will be able to use the Classic controller, and possibly the Gamecube controller. This is my OFFICIAL GUESS MARK MY WORDSSS

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Locit wrote:It's still not a button, though. It might work, but I don't think people would be too wild about the D-pad being the only jump option. I'd say map the shield to the D-pad and change the button combo to work with one of the nunchuck triggers. Of course, they could offer custom control schemes and allow you to map the buttons as you see fit instead, but I don't really see that happening. Honestly any Wii/nunchuck layout seems like it'd be awkward to me.
D-pad is right near A, though, and they already did the "entire D-pad acts as one button" thing in Excite Truck.

But yeah, it'd still be pretty awkward.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Hmm, right, I forgot about the D-Pad. Down could be grab, then, and up taunt. Left and right would switch forms (ie: Pit changes blade, ZSS changes from sword to gun, maybe Zelda changes into Shiek giving both a new down+B move, etc.), perhaps.

Also, A for jump? Terrible idea. You may jump a lot in <i>Smash</i> but not enough for it to be mapped to the most easily-accessed button.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Shadow Hog wrote:Hmm, right, I forgot about the D-Pad. Down could be grab, then, and up taunt. Left and right would switch forms (ie: Pit changes blade, ZSS changes from sword to gun, maybe Zelda changes into Shiek giving both a new down+B move, etc.), perhaps.
Ack, that sounds way too easy to mess up. Also, taunting should be one of the buttons far away from the normal ones.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

FYI: Today's update is about Pit. Nothing really NEW there, except for a little tidbit about how you can control where his arrows go to a certain degree.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Shadow Hog wrote:Left and right would switch forms (ie: Pit changes blade, ZSS changes from sword to gun, maybe Zelda changes into Shiek giving both a new down+B move, etc.), perhaps.
I don't think they'd assign entire buttons to transformations, since not all the characters can transform.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

These character "updates" should at least mention the B moves.

I get the feeling that motion controls will be the sucessor of Single Button Mode. SBM in Melee was to help make it easier for inexperienced people to play the game, which is pretty much the philosophy of the Wii. It doesn't matter to those people if it's not tournament worthy & it won't matter to us because it's only a special mode.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Looks like the Final Smash moves will basically operate on a similar principle to the Donkey Kong Hammer, except unique for each character.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

The principle being "80% chance of killing everything in sight", I suppose.
Altough Mario's seems more like a damage builder (like Entei and Ho-oh's pokeball moves).

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Another new item in today's update:

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/item02.html

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Well, however the game controls, it will at least be using a "control stick". I guess that rules out any wiimote-only schemes.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Pit looks great.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

New stage: Delfino Island! Flying around in a carpet above, plus landing in the beach and the canal!