Keyblades coming out the wazoo . . .

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

Keyblades coming out the wazoo . . .

Post by Zeta »

With KH's new series trailers (which show the future of the series sans Sora) featuring gobbles and gobbles of Keyblades, an insane amount - I'm sort of thinking a Kingdom Hearts MMORPG might work.

Hear me out, first of all, there needs to be more action-oriented MMORPGs.

Second of all, we have Final Fantasy online, Toontown Online, and Pirates of the Carribean online - which a KH online RPG could all encompass.

Third, there'd be plenty of room for expansion. Whenever things get too boring, another world from a FF game or a Disney movie gets slapped on. Toy Story this week, Balaam Garden next month. Also, since all the world offer self-contained stories, quests are easily structured. Plus, you could give players the option to create characters in the FF-style or a cartoony Disney style . . .

Sounds insane, but all these related franchises are getting RPGs, it might just be better to slam them all together and kill them in one shot.

By the way, I'm not sure if I'm looking foward to the KH prequels. It was fun exploring Disney worlds as a kid. Playing as an angsting 20-something badass night playing with Mickey and pals is just going to feel weird.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I've got an even better idea: if there was never another Kingdom Hearts game ever again. Also, it would be cool if Tetsuya Nomura were smothered to death in the butt crack of a sweaty sumo wrestler. With diarrhea.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Someone should have Nomura and Rob Liefield design costumes together.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

This actually sounds crazy enough to work. Too bad Nomura probably has other, less efficient ideas.

Part of me kinda wishes the initial concept of Mickey being in the lead role was left intact. I love the little guy.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I hate the very essence and premise of Kingdom hearts. I hate it even more for its enormous success.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Radrappy wrote:I hate the very essence and premise of Kingdom hearts. I hate it even more for its enormous success.
Second'd

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

Wait, was it confirmed to be a prequel?
Not that I'd probably buy it anyway, seeing as I never finished the first one.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Rob-Bert wrote:Part of me kinda wishes the initial concept of Mickey being in the lead role was left intact. I love the little guy.
Then a lot more people would be moaning about the series being a cheap mash-up of Disney with (not and) Square.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I've just saw the Secret Ending to KHII:Final Mix and if it wasn't for Mickey appearing at the end, someone probably would have not known that it is from a franchise that features a boy romping around with Donald and Goofy.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Yeah, if that's the thing I think it is, it's pretty freaking dark. I haven't played either KH though and know nothing about the stories.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Zeta, that's the worst idea I've ever heard.

Fandom would <i>love</i> it.

The thing about KH that pisses me off is that it would be so good if they'd do it right. But instead they do it the cheap and easy way.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I gotta say that as much as I loved the first game, the sequel did take it a bit too far. I mostly played the first one for it's Disney-ness, in addition to the lesser amount of Final Fantasy-ness, but I think the second game lost a whole lot of the charm the original the first one had. Now it doesn't seem at all like Disney or Final Fantasy. It's something completely different.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Well the next game isn't KH3 anyway, its suppose to be a new series that's a colabration between S-E & Disney.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

It just feels to me like Nomura's Final Fantasy cast (from the grand total of THREE FF games he made to date) that just happens to have Disney characters in it. Chain of Memories sucked ass and II was a giant disappointment. I fail to even think how they'll screw up III.

I agree with GG! on what should happen to Nomura..his character designs suck now. A LOT. It's been too many years since they didn't suck (Final Fantasy VIII, I believe).

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:I agree with GG! on what should happen to Nomura..his character designs suck now. A LOT. It's been too many years since they didn't suck (Final Fantasy VIII, I believe).
Quote for truth and this is coming from someone who usually admire Nomura's outfit designs, but with few exceptions here and there nowadays, his character designs have gotten so ridiculously bizzare, they look like EXTREME CLOWNS!1!1!!! or something.

As for the KH franchise, I like the games, but even I'm getting tired of seeing it everywhere. I get enough KH fanart plastered all over my computer screen.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Wait, was it confirmed to be a prequel?
Well, in Final Mix, There's a scene where Xemnas reminices about the empty armor of the female night in the ending movie, which sort of implies that they're prequels about young Xemnas/Xenahort/Ansem, er whatever the fuck his name is.
t just feels to me like Nomura's Final Fantasy cast (from the grand total of THREE FF games he made to date) that just happens to have Disney characters in it. Chain of Memories sucked ass and II was a giant disappointment. I fail to even think how they'll screw up III.
This is what is starting to bug me about the series too. In the first game, the Disney villains and Maleficent were the focus of the story. In the two sequels, the Disney characters aside from Mickey, Donald, and Goofy had nothing at all to do with the main plot and were more like incidental sidquests than part of the game. They could problably fix this by giving the side-characters motivations of their own outside of the storylines of their movies and letting them permanently join your party like a regular fucking RPG. Which would be awesome - having Jack Skellington follow you into the Incredibles or something. Organization XIII took up WAAY too much attention from just about every other character in the entire franchise.

I also wouldn't mind new characters that were done in the DISNEY style rather than the Final Fantasy style . . . just to shake things up.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

That's exactly what I was thinking Zeta.

Personally I think those things should have already been added. If I were making KHII, here's what I would've done:

In terms of the story:
-Not end the first game on a cliffhanger. As much as that adds, it also removes. I'll explain that in a moment.
-Make a whole new main character who's completely unrelated to Sora, and have him become the next Keyblade master. Maybe some sort of reference could be made to the original Keyblade wielder.
-Only have ONE Keyblade. Seriously, that annoys me most and I felt that it pretty much destroyed everything the first game established storywise.
-Not create a shit game on the GBA that heavily advances the plot. If I absolutely were required to make a game like that, I wouldn't make it so plot relevant. It unnecessarily complicated things.
-Balance the damn focus of the story. Zeta was right when he said that the Organization hogged the spotlight. The story pacing was really bad and the Disney-relevant parts almost felt tacked-on.

In terms of gameplay:
-First off, those action command thing made everything way too easy, and the battles practically felt scripted. One of the thing I liked about the first game was all the optional stuff and different ways to play the game.
-Continuing my previous point, build on the RPG element. I swear, it seems like level-building and high stats were pretty much there to dress the set. I wanted more customization, not less.
-Improve on the, abilities and magic. These also felt useless. In the first game, we had our Fire and Blizzard and whatnot, now how about some Flare or Life or even Bio? I loved how they managed to incorporate the FF staples into a hack 'n slash core, so why didn't they give us more of that? They didn't even have as many summons. I could name plenty of Disney characters worthy of being summoned.
-Bigger areas with more goals to accomplish. Come on. If they had to give use one thing, it should've been this. The worlds in KHII were practically microscopic compared to the ones in KHI, with less objectives to complete.
-More items. In addition to magic, ya gotta have items. The synthesis thing went totally ignored the second outing, while it was a pretty big part of the first one. Items felt useless here too. Who's bright idea was it to make the MP bar auto-rechargeable once it's all used up? I really missed the old orange charge gauge.
-No Drive forms. These, like the action commands, contributed to the game's low difficulty. Even then, half the time I didn't even need them because the game was already too damn easy, thus sending this feature into the "for show" category with the magic, the items and the RPG motif.

All in all, KHII felt like a "more-interactive-movie-than-game" deal, and although that works for some, I feel that between the way-over-the-line plot and the half-assed gameplay mechanics, the sequel was a huge let-down. Just thought I'd let all this out here, as it's been something I've wanted to do for a while. Too bad these addendums to the formula have no chance in hell of happening now.

Menander

Post by Menander »

I would really like it if they just let the player explore like you could in the first game. The second game was so blatantly a series of square rooms with different wall paper and totally linear paths it was ridiculous. In thr first game you could search around for hidden items or try to figure out all the places you could climb to in Traverse Town. Twilight Town felt like it was going to be like that, but there was almost no reason to explore it.

The most insulting moment in the game was when you fight in the Imperial Palace courtyard, where they let you walk halfway across it before warping you right to the steps. That was bullshit.

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

My biggest gripe with KHII was the complete lack of any platforming aspects, as mentioned by a few people here. In KH1 exploring the various themed worlds and finding hidden stuff was half the fun. KHII's Final Mix tries to address this by adding the (optional) Hidden Crown quest and the Cave of Remembrance in Hollow Bastion, both of which you can't complete without leveling your Drive forms to their highest levels. Kinda fun, but too little too late for most people.

But... a <i>Kingdom Hearts</i> Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game? Hm, before I would have dismissed such a thing as mere fancy, but I hear tell there's a DBZ MMORPG being developed, so...

ChaosAngelZero
PEDOPHILE
PEDOPHILE

Post by ChaosAngelZero »

I'm not particularly fond with Kingdom Hearts, but I won't leave this life without seeing a Pocket Monsters MMORPG.
The entire idea is almost perfect for that kind of games, more than any other Japanese animation series or even much games of other genres. I don't even like Pokémon too much, but it's almost stupid not to develop one of these games with the franchise. Even a kid could imagine a fully realised MMORPG, creating your own trainer and all; damn, the games themselves are like little fictional MMORPGs, in the same way you compete against virtual people in Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution's and 5's Quest modes.

Oh, and I fully agree with Rob about KH completely shifting focus from established Disney and/ or Final Fantasy characters to original ones. Neither way is bad, nor is it good with me, but the first game was kind of "WTF?!" and really fun to play.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

It shouldn't too long for a game like that- Pokemon Battle Revolution has a pretty extensive character customization mode, and online battles.
Psxphile wrote:... hear tell there's a DBZ MMORPG being developed, so...
Oh ho HO. If it's true, I can only guess the number of Goku rip-offs will compose 50% of the character demographic- the other half being Vegeta clones and a minority of actually creative players.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I'll wager there'll be such creative names as "Ovr9000BallzRInert", too.

ChaosAngelZero
PEDOPHILE
PEDOPHILE

Post by ChaosAngelZero »

It does look like it'll be just like that.

Now I want to make my own plastic pirate who's unable to swim and my demonic/ ridiculous ninja who can cast attacks of massive lag with infinite copies of him/her/itself (cool thing's that you won't be stuck with one gender per character thanks to that oiroke no jutsu nonsense, that would rule).

ChaosAngelZero
PEDOPHILE
PEDOPHILE

Post by ChaosAngelZero »

Well, now I finished downloading a trailer for Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix +, and while I don't get half of the things it shows, I do notice that Re: Chain of Memories looks a whole lot better and almost enjoyable (I mean, more than you would think for a GBA-game-to-PS2 translation), and the extras in FM+ also look appealing (titanium-hard Unknown battles and such).
The one thing I'm wondering about is if it also retains the USA censorship since, of course, it has the English VA. But in the end it wasn't such a good game in the first place, so maybe it's extras aren't as important as KH Final Mix's were.

WW

Post by WW »

The Kingdom Hearts franchise is nothing but a weeaboo fagapalooza, and needs more Disney influence.