Wii can't take the heat.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

Wii can't take the heat.

Post by Zeta »

Last night I was playing my Wii for an hour and a half and the thing gets pretty hot and shuts off by itself. Apparently a lot of Wiis have internal disconnected fans that cause the system to overheat. Has anyone else had problems like this? Specifically, do you notice air coming out the side of your Wii? Because I'm not really noticing anything blowing outside my vents, but I'm not sure if there should be. I thought it only happened to people who left their Wii connected to the internet all the time, but I don't even have a wireless internet connection for it to use so I'm not sure if it was a one-time fluke or something to be worried about.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Re: Wii can't take the heat.

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

Zeta wrote:Because I'm not really noticing anything blowing outside my vents
That's what you ALWAYS say in the elevator!

Seriously though.... I think your Wii might be fine, I knew the Dreamcast blew out hotter than what I expected.

Of course my Dreamcast died but, you get the drift. Ha ha, "get the drift", get it? Cuz it blows, it like drifts in...never mind. -_-

EmeraldGuardian

Post by EmeraldGuardian »

My Wii's never done that and I have a wireless connection by the way. The only problem I really have is the batteries. They die too frikkin soon.

Either it was a one time screw up or your system's no good.

WW

Post by WW »

I've never had this problem with my Wii, the only thing that bugs me is that I have to change the batteries in my remote too much.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

No fan problems here. As for batteries, I got rechargables and they seem to die a hell of a lot less than normal ones did. Plus they save me monies.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Hasn't Nintendo released an official rechargable battery pack yet? Certainly they must have plans to do so?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I think NyKo or MadCatz has released/will release something along those lines...

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I do hope you're being sarcastic.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

No, they really are. I'd prefer an official solution, but as of now, I don't believe Nintendo has any [public] plans.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I can't tell if <i>you</i> are or not, so here it is: http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802574

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I mean I don't doubt that Nyko and Mad Catz have such products in development to go along with their Rechargable PS2 Ass Pak Extension Cables w/ Dummy Buttons Labelled With Outrageous Phrases Like Turbo-Cyber-Continuum-Switch (N64 compatible, of course) - I mean I hope he's being sarcastic in suggesting that I would consider using a Nyko or Mad Catz product for anything other than stabilizing my work table with the wobbly leg.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

It was just a sugestion--I never said it was a GOOD one.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I'm pretty sure Nintendo is making one as well. It'll be out by the end of March, but I think it is in direct response to the Nyko and Mad Catz charge station. I could be wrong though cause I can't seem to find any evidence of it although I swear I remember reading about it and finding it on ebgames.com. Now I can't do either.

Edit: This might be it actually, but I can't find any evidence that it is first party after briefly skimming it.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

It's made by Thanko, learn to read.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Ok, any more problems about the Wii I should know? Besides having the buy the normal joypad as an extra...

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

That's not a problem, just use your Wavebird.

KitsuneDarkStalker

For all you Wii owners, can you use your Gamecube controllers to play Virtual Console games?

Because I prefer the Hori Digital Controller (on top):

To the Wii Classic Controller:

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I'm pretty sure you have to use the classic, as certain games won't register anything but the classic, and you'd need C-stick functionality.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Baba O'Reily wrote:I'm pretty sure you have to use the classic, as certain games won't register anything but the classic, and you'd need C-stick functionality.
WTF? That's fucking stupid then. Fuck the Wii.

LOL.....Wiifucker....lol...too much sugar...need to sleep....

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Funny, *I* have no problems playing VC games with my Wavebird--It works fine with both Link to the Past and Mario Kart 64...

KitsuneDarkStalker

Well if it woirks then, that would be the best thing ever.

(Except having a Saturn 6-button pad Wii controller...)

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Yeah, I've played my Wii for like 7 hours straight. It's probably not too healthy for me, but my machine has been running fine.

And the Gamecube controllers (Wavebird without wires and no rumble or regular with wires and... mostly no rumble) have worked for every VC game that was out as of umm... New Years.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Everything on the Virtual Console supports the Gamecube controller, but some games are incompatible with the Cube's button placement.

For example, in Donkey Kong Country it's impossible to hold down the run button (y) and the jump button (b) at the same time without also pressing the switch character button (a). That basically renders the game completely unplayable.

The Wii that I own gets pretty hot when it is turned off and running Connect 24. But it's cool to the touch when it's powered on, even after a few hours of play.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Nintendo's control layouts for the VC have been pretty retarded in general. I know what they're trying for (getting the button names to match up) but it often winds up with some very awkward layouts, where jump is on the right and shoot is on the bottom, or running SNES games on GameCube controllers where jump in on the left, whilst running is on the right, and A does something completely different...

In short, Nintendo needs to make the controls customizable, for ALL games. Period. That way, they can bypass the "button names don't match" argument with "you set it up that way, so get over it". Because, honestly, on the VC controller, y should be "b" for the NES, whilst b should be "a" for the NES. It's just much, MUCH more comfortable to play with.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I actually heard that the GameCube controller supports more games on the Wii than the classic controller. I think that is just because the classic is for VC, while the GC is for GC games and the VC. Sucks about that button customization though.