The Miyazaki Dynasty

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
jenkins

The Miyazaki Dynasty

Post by jenkins »

So, while there's no news as to what Miyazaki Hayao is doing these days, his son is up to something. Apparently, Miyazaki Goro is making an anime version of "Earthsea," which is hitting Japan this July. I'm not entirely sure about how good this is going to be, but...
Last edited by jenkins on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I'm going to go ahead and bank on the fact that most/all of the people here knew about this already. Also, the post itself was pretty useless.

Good times.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I had no idea. However I'm not a big anime viewer, or tv show watcher in general so I can't say I really cared. So I guess I don't count.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Wasn't Earthsea that series of books that scifi COMPLETELY butchered when they made a miniseries of it?

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I remember Earthsea. There were some interesting concepts, but it was very boring. I don't think I made through the first book.

Sounds like an ideal anime.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I would kill to have Miyazaki make an animated, true to book version of the Neverending Story.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Speaking of Miyazaki, Turner Movie Classics has been airing his movies every Thrusday this month including Whisper of the Heart which has not been released to Region 1 DVD yet. They also aired the Disney dub of Totoro though I can't compare it to Fox's dub since I haven't seen that version.

Country Roads...

The Scarlet Scorpion

Post by The Scarlet Scorpion »

First up, it's actually Miyazaki Goro, not "Godo." And second, yes Del, it Sci-Fi did bastardize the Earthsea books a year or two ago. And third, while that would be awesome, Zeta, I really wish somebody at Studio Ghibli had gotten rights to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials novels instead of New Line, as I read on the B.B.C. that <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... .stm">they bowdlerized the plot</a> to make it more suitable to "Bush's America" (as Pullman put it in the article).
Last edited by The Scarlet Scorpion on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Woops. Sorry, I'll fix that.

His Dark Materials? If they try and adapt that to Bush's America, it'll result in a movie version of C.S. Lewis's The Great Divorce.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Fuck that, I like the whole "God is evil" twist.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

awwww

i love his dark materials

D:

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

That last book was lacking and it featured one of the worst love scenes ever! =(

It ruined the awesome first book, The Golden Compass and Lyra's character for me.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

in all honesty the amber spyglass was convoluted as hell and confused the shit outta me

but i still love that book

not as much as the golden compass or the subtle knife, though

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Speaking of Miyazaki, Turner Movie Classics has been airing his movies every Thrusday this month including Whisper of the Heart which has not been released to Region 1 DVD yet. They also aired the Disney dub of Totoro though I can't compare it to Fox's dub since I haven't seen that version.
Been catching up with that and taping the movies I haven't owned on DVD yet. I've finally now seen Porco Rosso which I've been wanting to for some time. It just bump to #1 in my fave Miyazaki films.
~Neo

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

What about Pom-Poko? That's probably my favorite.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I never saw that, but I heard it's airing this Thursday, so I'll get a chance then.
~Neo

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Neo Yi wrote:I've finally now seen Porco Rosso which I've been wanting to for some time. It just bump to #1 in my fave Miyazaki films.
~Neo
Good on ya. Porco Rosso is the best thing Miyazaki's ever produced.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Ngangbius wrote:The Golden Compass
Win. Never did get the chance to read any of the other books in the series though, sadly.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Never read His Dark Materials, but this conversation is making me think of The Seventh Tower series, which is due for a reread.

Not to sound too critical, but I like that most if not all of Miyazaki's stories are original. He doesn't need to make a film based on a book, nor does a good book need a film based on it.
Though I'd kill for a film version of Terry Pratchett's Soul Music, or any Discworld novel.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Miyazaki's latest movie, Howl's Moving Castle, was based on a book. So it's within his scope.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

No, the Neverending Story, bitches. It's popular in Japan! It's better than the stupid live action movies! It's magical! It's surreal, it's beautiful!

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Ritz wrote:
Ngangbius wrote:The Golden Compass
Win. Never did get the chance to read any of the other books in the series though, sadly.
Don't worry, you are not missing anything worthwhile.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Kishi wrote:
Neo Yi wrote:I've finally now seen Porco Rosso which I've been wanting to for some time. It just bump to #1 in my fave Miyazaki films.
~Neo
Good on ya. Porco Rosso is the best thing Miyazaki's ever produced.
Why? cause is based in historical events? because the dude has a pig face? because there was a real race with the same two planes decades ago?.

"the Neverending Story" is good, but since someone already did 3 movies about it(The only worth seeing is the second movie, that one rocked) I dont think that would happen soon.

But if you think about it, the whole concept of a world depending in a hero from another world to save them has been overused. Maybe that was what made me like magic Rayearth manga, the ironic twist, they where there to kill the princess!. Sure, they go back to rescue the world after that, but even that part has at least one character I liked.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Nova wrote:
Kishi wrote:Good on ya. Porco Rosso is the best thing Miyazaki's ever produced.
Why? cause is based in historical events? because the dude has a pig face? because there was a real race with the same two planes decades ago?.
It's a movie about a gruff former Italian Navy pilot who went AWOL to bounty-hunt in the Mediterranean after seeing too many good men die. Somewhere along the way he gets cursed with the body of an anthropomorphic pig, his only companion from the old days is constantly worried for his safety, and on top of all this, he's constantly at odds with a coalition of cutthroat air pirates. Yet he consistently refuses to put up with any crap, whether it's coming from upstart fancyboys from the American South or secret police from Fascist Italy. Throw in a number of stunning flight scenes, a jailbait love interest, and a general sense of whimsy and wonderment, and you've got yourself a superlatively memorable piece of cinema.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Though I'd kill for a film version of Terry Pratchett's Soul Music, or any Discworld novel.
There is an animated version of Soul Music. Also there are plans to make a movie version of the Wee Free Men. Apparently it will be directed by Sam Rami and will be his next project after Spider-Man 3.