2005: Your pick

Because death would've been too merciful.

Which gaming console did you spend the most time with in 2005?

Nintendo GameCube
29%
Sony PlayStation2
25%
Microsoft Xbox
2%
Microsoft Xbox 360
No votes
Nintendo DS
31%
Sony PSP
No votes
Other
12%

Total votes: 51

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

2005: Your pick

Post by Segaholic2 »

Yeah yeah, shut up. I've been really busy this past semester so I wasn't able to come up with very many interesting polls. I'll try harder this time. Anyhow...

Well, 2005 is almost over. As we look ahead to the new year and the metaphorical new start on life, a clean slate with which we can begin things anew, and... Screw all that.

Which gaming console brought you the most enjoyment this year? List some games to justify your answers.

For me, I'd have to go with the DS. Odd choice maybe, but with my very busy school and work schedule, I didn't have any time to really sit down in front of my TV and enjoy a console game the way I'm supposed to. The DS, on the other hand, is easy to take with me everywhere and pop out a quick gaming session wherever I am. Between classes, on my way to class, waiting to speak to an advisor, at work, on the bus... You get the idea.

My favorite titles would have to be Castlevania DS, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Kirby, and Sonic Rush, kind of in that order. I spent many many hours with Castlevania (over 40, maybe 50) and Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing is keeping me entertained daily, even if it is kind of a chore.

All right, you're next.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I played the shit out of World of Warcraft until about 2 months ago.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

I've probably spent the most time with my PS2 this year, since out of the 3 current-gen consoles, it's the only one that's still seeing major support. MS is focusing on the 360, and nothing is coming out on Gamecube anymore, so PS2 saw the brunt of the major releases this year.

My Xbox got some use with Jade Empire and the occasional Halo LAN party, and my Gamecube saw alot of use in January with Resident Evil 4 and some older games I had neglected (Viewtiful Joe 2 and ToS), but compared to the steady stream of games that the PS2 saw this year, my other systems barely got any use. Shadow of the Colossus is probably the most memorable game of the year, and the PS2 got two of the best action games of this generation with God of War and Devil May Cry 3.

In second would probably be my DS, if only for Mario Kart and the extended amount of time I spent at school this past Fall semester. I feel weird placing my DS above my Gamecube and my Xbox since I really don't put much thought into my portable game purchases (most of my GBA and DS games were kind of spur-of-the-moment impulse buys), but the DS library has one of the most well-rounded selection of games since the SNES.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

I'm going to have to say the DS. Wario Ware, Kirby, Phoenix Wright, Sonic Rush, and Nintendogs (to a lesser extent) have kept me pretty busy this year. My second choice would have to be the PS2, although the only games I've been playing on that lately are older ones.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

DS, I think. Mario 64 DS, Sonic Rush, Castlevania and Mario Kart all racked up a good deal of time each. Then again, I did play RE4 and Tales of Symphonia this year, so the GC is probably a close second if it's not equal.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

What's the deal with all you handheld gamers?

James McGeachie

I wouldn't call myself a handheld gamer, more like an any system with the games I want to play on it gamer.

The DS just had more games on it I wanted to play than my consoles this year, that and it's still my newest system.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Even if it weren't true, I would lie and pick DS. However, I have a strong suspicion that it IS true. Somehow picking up the DS and playing it is something that I am compelled to do, whereas the very idea of sitting down in front of the TV and playing a console just seems like too much work.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

I haven't been playing console games much since I got this computer last year, but the Gamecube is pretty much the only console I've touched for extended periods of time. Super Monkey Ball is still the only GC game I really care about; that game never gets old.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

PS2, still. I played 6 or 7 PS2 games (all but one of which I liked), 1 Xbox game, and no GameCube games. Played 1 game each on DS and PSP, and both were games originally released last year.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

PlayStation2. Don't own a DS or PSP, Gamecube had nothing noteworthy this year for me to care about, and for X-BOX I only bought the obligatory yearly DDR game.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Gamecube, but just because I liked Pokemon Coloseum...And didn’t get a play2 till Christmas.

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

I know this isn't a console, but my PC definitely brought me the most enjoyment this year.

FEAR has to be one of the most intense and atmospheric shooters I've played, even if the Japanese girl in the dress wasn't scary in the lest. Battlefield 2 is nothing short of pure crack when played online. Fahrenheit was enthralling until it turned into some bizarre Matrix parody at the end. The insane stunts that can be pulled off in Trackmania Sunrise still haven’t gotten old yet, and SC:Chaos Theory was just utterly superb.

I think that's about it.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

This surprises even me, but the DS. The reason it surprises me is because I didn't even get one until October, and I only have three games (Castlevania: DoS, Kirby Canvas Curse, and Mario & Luigi: PiT) for it. All the same, though, I've played the hell out of said games, and they still amount to more than what I've covered on other systems (Metal Gear AC!D and Lumines on PSP, Castlevania: CoD and miscellaneous old games on PS2). I guess it's just strange to think that I've done so little gaming this year up until the last couple months.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I'd have to say the DS as well. There's just been a lot of great titles released for it(especially recently) and I've been playing it a lot.

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

Game Cube: mostly because of Tales of Symphonia and Paper Mario as well as the occasional multiplayer game of Smash Bros., Donkey Konga and Double Dash. In addition I also felt the need to go back and beat games I'd shelved (Metroid Prime). Currently, Fire Emblem also occupies much of my time.

Citrus

Post by Citrus »

Definitely remember playing the .Hack games throughout the summer whenever I got the chance.
Its pretty sad, I wish I could say I played some other PS2 games, but I didnt.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I have gamecube and xbox but amazingly this year I played alot of dreamcast games. Jet set radio and space channel 5! :razz:

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Hmm...console I spent the most time playing this year? I take it emulated games on the PC doesn't count does it?

If it doesn't then I would have to go with the PS2 since I had my eye on playing certain non-RPG games that was exclusive for the system. Next would be my GBA since I usually commute from my home to college and I just recieved the DS this Christmas. There are a couple of GCN games such as Resident Evil 4(well, okay so now it is for the PS2) and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance I was interested in getting but I never really had time or the extra money to look into them. I did manage to get Psychonauts for Xbox('cause there is no way I'm getting it for the PS2 and my shoddy PC) which is an awesome game. I also recieved Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life but I have touched it yet since I've been busy with my DS. ^_^

Lately I've been playing Mario and Luigi: Partners in Crime which is mostly enjoyable but not as much as Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. It's probably due too not being as zany as the first game, but at least the Mario Babies aren't portrayed as total useless characters. ^_^

You know, I have a feeling that next year my most played system would probably be the DS and maybe the PSP. I don't know. I'm just really beginning to carry a huge foundness for these handhelds. Or it could be because I'm more interested in the games that are coming out(or already out) for both than the consoles as of now.

James McGeachie

As good as this year was for the DS, I'm not sure about next year. There's only a couple of announced titles that have my interest at all for 2006 and the only BIG one is the new Super Mario Brothers, which in my opinion, doesn't even look all that great just now.

Unless they start announcing more interesting new stuff soon, I'm pretty sure by the end, or even half way through next year, I'm not going to give a shit about my DS anymore.

Sonic Rush was always my biggest title on it and it's came and gone.

edit: next year, sorry I mean this year, OH AREN'T I SUCH A SILLY BILLY

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

PS2 for me,

Its ovious which NEXTGEN console Im gonna buy.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

James McGeachie wrote:As good as this year was for the DS, I'm not sure about next year. There's only a couple of announced titles that have my interest at all for 2006 and the only BIG one is the new Super Mario Brothers, which in my opinion, doesn't even look all that great just now.
Final Fantasy III and Children of Mana are not big? I'm also quite interested in Super Princess Peach and that new Wario game.
Sonic Rush was always my biggest title on it and it's came and gone.

edit: next year, sorry I mean this year, OH AREN'T I SUCH A SILLY BILLY
What about Mario Kart DS, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, or Animal Crossing: Wild World?

James McGeachie

I have Mario Kart DS and Castlevania, I prefer Rush though, without a doubt. Mario Kart actually quite underwhelmed me, it's good enough but certainly not what people are hailing it as.

Also, I don't have much interest in anything Square-Enix shits out nowadays.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Yeah, they only make a really good game every ten years or so...if you have a playtacion or Psone, try "Legend of mana", that game rocks, and is the only square game that I have completed besides Chronno trigger.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Nova wrote:try "Legend of mana", that game rocks,
Not really. =/